PDA

View Full Version : tried my best to un sell this lawn

jeffex
03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
it all started with a referal. the most solid sale ever but they started out with we don't want big mowers. I told them I'm not your guy and said it was nice to meet you!. I started to walk away and the lady grabbed my arm. " we hear your good!" she said....... I said i just like to use the equipment i invested in to do that job you heard about!.. reverse salesmanship is a forte of mine! they complained about poor cutting and felt only a small mower would do the job. I stated they called the wrong guy and that I used commercial mowers and only used a 21" mower as a last resort for hills and tight areas. Dam if I didn't get that customer to agree to my way! I replied that a big mower with a dull blade is a sign that you shopped price and not quality. I was $10 more thatn their last guy and they said YES! I just said that after 17 years I think I know what your lawn should look like and they agreed! we'll see if that still works in this economy! moral of the story ...stick to your guns! value still sells!

STIHL GUY
03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
well thats a good way to get an account for the price you want

jeffex
03-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I am just as scared as the rest of the country about the economy but this way has worked for me so far. I tell it like it is and some how it works! their last guy was a college student at 25$ per cut with no knowledge of lawns at all. they even told me they were cheap!.. I said 35$ and they jumped at the chance. they tried to tell me about competition from unemployed people and my reply was good luck! I said I pay taxes and insurance and I can't cut a lawn for $25.... stick to your guns !!!! maybe just lucky!!!!

Scagguy
03-21-2009, 09:03 PM
You know, it's been said here before and it's worth saying again....."It's not my job to make it affordable. My job is to make your lawn look like a picture postcard. Your job, is to be able to afford it."

QualityLawnCare4u
03-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't care if someone else will do their yard for 5 or 25 dollars, if I see a 40 dollar yard that is what I will charge. If I have to sit home or go fishing then so be it.

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I had an older couple that said the same thing to me about using large mowers, I basically told them the same thing you did and they agreed for awhile, after about 2 months they asked me again to use a 21" and I said dont you think the commercial WBs I use do a good job, they said yes but a 21" does better!!! I then told them I was probably not the right person to be providing them service. I think older people believe since we mow so fast , we cannot be doing a good job and most of them swear by 21" pushers! Its just what they are used to. Plus they asked me why my WBs wouldnt cut the dandoliens and a 21" will, I dont even know the answer to that as I have noticed this before. But the quality of cut in a commercial WB and a craftsman 21" is night and day! Why dont they see this? My grandparents thought craftsman was the absolute BEST you could get(before I explained it to them)!!! They will probably be asking you to use a smaller mower within a month or two.

Woody82986
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Old people are great. I love how they think any technology invented after 1950 is simply made for comfort and never for efficiency or quality. My grandpa was an exception. He had an old Montgomery Ward 42" tractor he mowed his 2 acres with and swore nothing cut as well as it did. When I bought my Hustler I took it out to show him and he about crapped a brick when he tried it out and saw how well it cut. I used to bring it out on Sundays and hang out with my grandma inside while he had fun mowing his lawn in less than half the time he used to. When will most older people realize that the devil is not behind all new things? haha

lifetree
03-21-2009, 11:21 PM
... I was $10 more thatn their last guy and they said YES! I just said that after 17 years I think I know what your lawn should look like and they agreed! we'll see if that still works in this economy! moral of the story ...stick to your guns! value still sells!

Congratulations ... good story !!

lifetree
03-21-2009, 11:23 PM
... "it's not my job to make it affordable. My job is to make your lawn look like a picture postcard. Your job, is to be able to afford it."

lmao ...... !!!

lifetree
03-21-2009, 11:28 PM
... I then told them I was probably not the right person to be providing them service. ...

Good for you !!

Old people are great. I love how they think any technology invented after 1950 is simply made for comfort and never for efficiency or quality. My grandpa was an exception. ...

Maybe you can get him to work for you out on your route ... maybe pay him $ 5.00 an hour !! :laugh: :laugh:

scagwildcat
03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
a few years ago, i had a older couple that wanted me to mow for them, the first time they were not home, must have liked the way the lawn looked as i didnt get any calls, the second mowing, i mowed, trimmed, cleaned up, and the door opens YOUR DONE ALREADY?
Yes sir i am ! WOW you charge more then my doctor ! they thought that i should be there for two hours with a push mower for $30 YEAH RIGHT!

MikeKle
03-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I pulled up to this house and pull the turf tracer off the trailer and start to mow and their neighbor( a guy in his 40s) came over and was looking at my mowers, he said he had never seen anything like that( a commercial WB)?? I politely showed him the features of the mower thinking where has this guy been that he has never seen a WB? He thought riding on the velke looked like fun, I said yeah for about the first 10 minutes!! Then I had another older guy come over when we were unstrapping the mowers( we had three on the trailer at the time) He looked at them for a minute and asked if we "hook" all the mowers together and mow one big swath??!!! I thought he was being sarcastic,but he was serious, How would you come up with that idea when it is clear that each machine is meant to be used individually????? Dont get me wrong, I love talking to older people,and I usually end up learning something useful. The ethics and morals they have astounds me. We could all learn something from that generation. And probably 40-50 years in the future when we are going out to chat with our lawn guys, we will be suprised by the new mowers that float and mow grass at 30 mph with a lazer beam cutting system!!!

jeffex
03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
some great posts!!! 80% of my customers are older people and I love them. they are respectful, pay ontime , and appreciate me helping to keep them in their homes. Occasionally I get scolded for some minor thing like the weeds in the garden( once a year the lady claims my mowing throws weed seeds into her garden) are my fault or I'm cutting too high . I just nod my head and keep moving. the good far out weighs the bad IMO. I believe your right about these people will eventually , if not after the first mowing, tell me to use the 21" mower. I'm putting their name on my list in PENCIL! I told them specifically I only have a 21" mower for one lawn that has a 30" gate in the back for a dog run . oh, they also asked to be cut near the weekend too. I told them no way as I have some people who pay a premium for friday cuts and have been with me since I started. I let them know for an additional $10 they could be on friday too. They said any day but monday. I told them I don't cut on mondays for that very reason..nothing but complaints on monday cuts. Just like I always say...I cut lawns for free and deal with people for money! mind you I was not flip with these people just FRANK! I told them the truth as I knew it with no sugar coated sales job. When I left they seemed happy with my presentation and I told them my goal was to make their lawn look good again. Time will tell on this one

kaferhaus
03-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Anyone that reads my posts should know we have a fairly large operation. Many of our residentials (30% of our work is res) are older folks. Some of these folks have been with me going on 20yrs from when I was a solo. I still cut their lawns myself (and I don't cut much grass any longer, I don't have time)

These folks helped me build my business through referrals, most are or were very active in community and social groups (why aren't we that way??) entirely different set of morals and ethics than most people today have.

Anyway, last week I was at one of these homes, a fairly large property with fairly complicated landscaping... lot's of shaped ground covers, beds etc. and the missus called me over and said "Alvin would like a hose reel attached to the wall right over here with a 50' hose and one of those extention wands for watering these beds out in front of the house so he doesn't have to bend over (again these are old folks).

Well we all know what the answer to that request would normally be...

Next day I went to Lowes, got the stuff and took my hammer drill (brick walls) by and installed it. They never even knew I was there.

When we got the next check from them (I billed actual cost for the materials and a $35 trip fee for installing it.... didn't make a dime in other words) she had included a nice note saying she knew this wasn't something I'd normally do and had only asked because they didn't want to be dealing with a "handy man service" or anyone else they didn't know. Also said this service had been the topic of conversation at her "bridge club meeting" the day before and she'd given my number to a couple of other ladies that had remarked "you just can't get that kind of service any more".

I got two new accounts from this act alone. Never would have worked with Gen Xers' or baby boomers. Nor was it my goal. These folks have been good to me for nearly 20yrs. I'd never tell them no.

I can't say that about many as the younger generations just don't appreciate anything you do for the most part.

jeffex
03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
great post.. money isn't the only thing that makes you wealthy. Put that deed in your bank of the soul. I enjoy the respect I get from some customers like Mrs. H who wanted to introduce me to her family when they visited while I was mowing. Its great to get a call from a referal who tells me Mr. X said you do a great job on his lawn and canI get on your list. I'm a small opperation on purpose and I still remember what got me each lawn in the first place. sometimes I get in a hurry and have to stop and think that customers compained about their last guy who never had time for them. I know it can be a PITA but I use the time talking to up sell services rather than chasing new customers. more money from the same people. And yes sometimes its just to hear about their grandkids or their ailments but I value them as people not just business. I'm about the same price as most lawn services in my area for cutting but my profit can come from educating customers about aeration dethatching and other services related to my pressure washing business. hell I even do windows sometimes when the grass slows.

ALC-GregH
03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Anyone that reads my posts should know we have a fairly large operation. Many of our residentials (30% of our work is res) are older folks. Some of these folks have been with me going on 20yrs from when I was a solo. I still cut their lawns myself (and I don't cut much grass any longer, I don't have time)

These folks helped me build my business through referrals, most are or were very active in community and social groups (why aren't we that way??) entirely different set of morals and ethics than most people today have.

Anyway, last week I was at one of these homes, a fairly large property with fairly complicated landscaping... lot's of shaped ground covers, beds etc. and the missus called me over and said "Alvin would like a hose reel attached to the wall right over here with a 50' hose and one of those extention wands for watering these beds out in front of the house so he doesn't have to bend over (again these are old folks).

Well we all know what the answer to that request would normally be...

Next day I went to Lowes, got the stuff and took my hammer drill (brick walls) by and installed it. They never even knew I was there.

When we got the next check from them (I billed actual cost for the materials and a $35 trip fee for installing it.... didn't make a dime in other words) she had included a nice note saying she knew this wasn't something I'd normally do and had only asked because they didn't want to be dealing with a "handy man service" or anyone else they didn't know. Also said this service had been the topic of conversation at her "bridge club meeting" the day before and she'd given my number to a couple of other ladies that had remarked "you just can't get that kind of service any more".

I got two new accounts from this act alone. Never would have worked with Gen Xers' or baby boomers. Nor was it my goal. These folks have been good to me for nearly 20yrs. I'd never tell them no.

I can't say that about many as the younger generations just don't appreciate anything you do for the most part.

That's what it's all about. Good for you. I tell my customers that if there is anything they need to please call. If I can't do it legally (needing a license) or I don't have the knowledge I'll make some calls for them to find someone that can be trusted. Otherwise I hook them up. This pertains to the older customers.

jeffex
03-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I network with a handy man, roofer,HVAC,tree trimmers, and even other landscapers who I can give my name to on the referal. My customers ask me for advice on home projects since they know I can do most of the trades myself. It just so happens that my simple brain enjoys the lawn business . I like the escape it gives me since you have to concentrate on what your doing.