PDA

View Full Version : Need good groundcover on steep hill in TN!

JasonK94Z
03-18-2002, 03:09 PM
I'm in Jackson TN. Just recently purchased a new home (last July). The back yard has a very steep hill in it. They seeded and strawed it last summer, but 4 days after we moved in it was washed away by very heavy rain. The seed never got a change to germinate.
My father finally convinced me that cutting grass on a hill this steep would end up hurting me or my mower one day if I wasn't carefull. So I guess I'm not going to sod it now.

So my question is, what is there besides grass that I can plant to hold the ground? Some kind of creeping vine with lots of good roots to help hold the ground? I'm starting to get small ruts lately from all the rain.

Thanks guys!

keifer
03-21-2002, 08:14 AM
There are plenty of things you can use.Blue rug,larirope but not the varigated.Plus a bunch of kinds of ivy.

JasonK94Z
03-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to get up and go to the nursery here in town. I just wanted to see what everyone else has had experience with.
Thanks! :cool:

HOWARD JONES
03-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Of course, this depends on how much emphasis you are putting on this area, but terracing with small stone retaining walls would be classy - then any kind of flowers, shrubs, etc would work and give lots of options for a very good appearance. Even if it was temporary, stones or pavers just put on top of the grade would help control the erosion until the plantings get established.

SouthernGardening
03-22-2002, 08:39 AM
Terracing with stones could look pretty good. I'd stay away from ivy if the slope is near trees or buildings. Speading liriope (L. spicata) would work well. I've had good luck stabilizing a steep hill with winter jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) but at 2-4' tall, it may grow taller than you want.Some of the hypericums could work also.

JasonK94Z
03-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by SouthernGardening
Terracing with stones could look pretty good. I'd stay away from ivy if the slope is near trees or buildings. Speading liriope (L. spicata) would work well. I've had good luck stabilizing a steep hill with winter jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) but at 2-4' tall, it may grow taller than you want.Some of the hypericums could work also.

I've had someone tell me about this winter jasmine before. I'll check into that. As far as the hill goes, its in my back yard, and slopes away from the house so I can't see whats there anyways. So, stones would be nice, but no one would see them unless they fell down the hill :D

SLS
03-23-2002, 04:21 PM
A bunch of folks around here have an ivy groundcover in these sloped areas called Vinca Minor (sp?).

Ask your nursery person about it when you visit.

JasonK94Z
03-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be going to the nursury this weekend to check things out and get this taken care of. :blob3:

vegomatic40
03-31-2002, 12:29 PM
All kinds of great groundcovers for your area...Purple Wintercreeper (Euonymus fortunei "Coloratus") is very tough stuff. Grows rapidly and fairly inexpensive. The Vinca major and minor are good too but might like a bit more shade. Be prepared to tangle with the weeds for a few years in any situation until the groundover takes over. Good luck.