PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up the hydros on a ???

farrsfastfords
03-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Any of you guys had any experience with speeding up the ground speed on a hydro? I need fast transport speed for a recent account I obtained.

Any help is appreciated.:cool2:

JKOOPERS
03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
yeah but if you speed it up you will lose reverse

farrsfastfords
03-21-2009, 09:37 PM
no, i'm talking about bigger pumps/rebuilding the pumps etc.

bohiaa
03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
why would a person want to do this ?

tyler_mott85
03-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Two ways to speed up a mower without changing out pumps.

Increase engine speed = which increases the speed at which the pump turns

Change out pulleys on pumps = increases the number of rotations the pump turns per rotation of the engine.

Either one has its pros and cons. On walkers the way you increase speed is by the whole pulley method but when you do that the entire hydro system becomes very touchy.

Increasing engine RPM is hard on the engine.

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Buy a Dixie Chopper or buy a quad runner and a pull behind type mower and then you can go up to 40mph!!

farrsfastfords
03-22-2009, 11:29 PM
From my understanding, simply changing the pullies may increase volume slightly but its similar to pedaling faster on a paddle boat...not necessarily any faster. Based on my research one needs to change the pumps to a larger volume...Anyone else agree?

farrsfastfords
03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
why would a person want to do this ?
Because although you may not be able to mow this fast you can transport the machine faster on a large property.:wall

djagusch
03-23-2009, 12:11 PM
From my understanding, simply changing the pullies may increase volume slightly but its similar to pedaling faster on a paddle boat...not necessarily any faster. Based on my research one needs to change the pumps to a larger volume...Anyone else agree?

It depends on the machine actually. I would say most have designed the system so the pumps run 2400 to 2600 rpm's, 3600rpm is max rpm according to hydro gear. I know one manufacture that runs them close to the 3600rpm (badboy).

So lets say yours runs the 2400 to 2600rpm. Changing the pulley the pump will increase volume (aka speed) to the wheel motors. If it is running 3600rpm then I wouldn't bump it up.

I know Scag's pretty well. The difference between the 10mph on the 27hp riders and the 12mph 29hp riders is just pulley size. I'm guessing they decided this in field testing to prevent engine bogging and such.

What machine are you running? What engine? Do you know the pump and wheel motor size? Also pulley size? I can do some calc's.

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
There is a reason that they run the speeds they do. Engineers spend tons of hours designing pumps and everything. If they thought changing the pulley would work it would have come with that option. If i wanted something faster i would buy something different. I dont need stuff breaking down on a job and having large repair bills, causewe all know hydro pumps are not cheap.