PDA

View Full Version : Peerless trans service?

thargis
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a 48" Toro belt drive. Wondering what is needed to keep this gear box bullit proof?

1wezil
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

MikeKle
03-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Keep it full of Bentonite grease,and check the grease level about once a season, because the grease will find its way out of the case and maybe drill some holes in the case and install some grease fittings.Not much else you can do to make it any better. Ive done this to mine and never had any trouble.

topsites
03-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah, and one more thing:

The cover comes off easy enough but watch it when putting it back on!
Those bolts are going into an aluminum base and you just want to snug them up
or you will strip a thread in the casing... But once you strip one or two like I did
you will know how far you need to tighten.

Then you also need a gasketing material in a tube, I forgot what I used but
something that can withstand some heat and that remains pliable or supple.

btw the bentonite ain't cheap, but don't try to use a substitute because the
tranny costs a whole lot more and the labor is very time consuming.

Richard Martin
03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
You don't need to do anything as long as the case bolts are kept tight and you don't leave the mower out in the rain. Just watch the shafts coming out of the side of the tranny and if they get a lot of play in them you may want to replace the bronze bushings. It should take a whole lot of years to get any significant play in them. Oh, and don't shift when the mower is moving and make sure the clutches are pulled all of the way in.

topsites
03-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh, and don't shift when the mower is moving and make sure the clutches are pulled all of the way in.

Oh I almost forgot about that!

If you want to really make it last a long time, pick a one-size-fits-all gear
and leave it there, don't ever shift it.

No, it's not a joke, there are Lco's who do just that, and for that reason.

MikeKle
03-22-2009, 11:29 AM
One more thing, grease those output shafts every day, and sometimes you may have to adjust the tension on the belt on the underside. On my exmark metro, there is a slot to tighten/loosen the tension on the belt. Mine started making a loud noise one day, found out the belt tension was not correct.