PDA

View Full Version : I didn't want this job.

PTP
03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Last year, a HOA asked me to bid on mowing the grass (weeds) in front of their neighborhood. The city had been doing it for them and it was getting rather expensive. I had previously sent out flyers to the neighborhood and someone decided to give me a call.

Well, to be short, I don't do commercial mowings. I don't even do residential over 16,000 square feet (usually) but, for some reason, I gave them a bid of $90. It's a little over an acre. They did some clean up work and so they requested a new quote because now the lot was a little larger. They also told me that there was another company that was bidding. They wondered if I would like to adjust my price. I told them that I would. I increased it to $100 per mow. Then, they accepted my bid. They told me that they wanted it mowed every other week. I told them that my price was for weekly service and that the new price would be $125. They had no problem with that.

I mowed the lawn for the first time on Friday. It took 25 minutes.

joshco84
03-21-2009, 11:16 PM
haha, good for you, nice to have a little money hole like that.

Grits
03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Score! That is one to hold on to.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-22-2009, 01:55 AM
:drinkup::drinkup: Way to go, these don't come along everyday.

newz7151
03-22-2009, 02:02 AM
amazing.. dealers get ripped on Lawnsite as "overcharging and ripping people off" to try to make enough profit to stay in business... but when one of your own comes on here and lays out how he's putting one over on somebody, he gets pats on the back and beer mug raises.... Guess that's why when I clicked the "new posts" button, there were over 790 unread.

topsites
03-22-2009, 02:04 AM
That ain't right, but win some, lose some.

So yeah, take it to the bank.

amazing.. dealers get ripped on Lawnsite as "overcharging and ripping people off" to try to make enough profit to stay in business... but when one of your own comes on here and lays out how he's putting one over on somebody, he gets pats on the back and beer mug raises.... Guess that's why when I clicked the "new posts" button, there were over 790 unread.

Oh well :p

And I would essentially agree but ...

punt66
03-22-2009, 02:09 AM

They didnt have to accept the price. They said they were getting bids. I also price high for jobs i dont want to make them worthwile if i do get them.

CFB
03-22-2009, 02:19 AM
I got a customer like that in my woodworking business. Do a lot of the same things over and over again, she runs a scrapbooking company. Make 100/hr all day long, making wreaths and clipboards, and shadow boxes,,150 if I'm movin. And her workload is getting big for me. She told me before I started working for her it would be a career.

Well maybe but still gotta full time job and mow lawns on the side, but making jack like this is nice.

Richard Martin
03-22-2009, 08:50 AM
I got a customer like that in my woodworking business. Do a lot of the same things over and over again, she runs a scrapbooking company. Make 100/hr all day long, making wreaths and clipboards, and shadow boxes,,150 if I'm movin. And her workload is getting big for me. She told me before I started working for her it would be a career.

Scrap booking is HOT right now. But just like TransAms, CB radios and record players, it will become unpopular one day. I'd keep my day job.

Littleriver1
03-22-2009, 08:57 AM

I don't see the problem. He bid it, They change something and ask for a rebid, he raised the price to his standard, they changed it again and asked for a rebid and he raised the bid to his standard and they signed the contract. I have sent out contracts to be signed and have had them come back with the price lined out and changed to an increase and asked to resubmit it and then had it returned to me signed. What do you want him to do say no thanks, get some one else? I say be cool and take the money to the bank.

kaferhaus
03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
amazing.. dealers get ripped on Lawnsite as "overcharging and ripping people off" to try to make enough profit to stay in business... but when one of your own comes on here and lays out how he's putting one over on somebody, he gets pats on the back and beer mug raises.

My dealer(s) don't rip me off, I don't let them. All of them are usually "fair", I do not ever use their repair shops unless it's a warranty item. Most of the "ripping off" I've seen from dealers is in the service dept.

All of our service parts (filters, blades, belts etc) are bought in bulk from on-line sources as I get a better price even after shipping and it's more efficient as I don't have to make a trip to the dealer. Many repair parts are the same thing. Most of the mowers (comm ZTR's) use a good deal of off the shelf parts in them. Those are fairly easy to find elsewhere at a better price.

The quality many of us sell is the difference in prices. The mow and blow guys are to us what the internet is to you. With one exception. the mow and blow guys are about knocking the grass down and getting down the street... only way they can stay in business with the price they charge.

The rest of us are selling beautiful lawns.

Your (whatever brand) of equipment is no better than the guy down the road or in the next town that's selling the same EXACT thing. I'm going to pay you more money why?

For years I bought all my equipment from one dealer, thought I was being smart by doing so as he gave me good service (still does). However I learned that he was charging me more than I could buy the same exact equipment for on the other side of town... in the case of the ZTRs, hundred of dollars more. When I finally "shopped" him, he got offended and defensive.

I still spend money with him but the equipment purchases go to whoever has the best price, period. He's finally back to getting most of the equipment purchases but it took him awhile to learn that I wouldn't just roll over any longer... and it cost him thousands of dollars in sales, many thousands of dollars.

I want eveyone to make a profit even my dealer, it's in my best interest that they do. However I don't want him to make it all off of me!

CFB
03-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Scrap booking is HOT right now. But just like TransAms, CB radios and record players, it will become unpopular one day. I'd keep my day job.

Of course. I would never quit my job even if I were making 50% more just from her. She's a 2 year old business and one that will certainly fail if the economy sees worse days. Just nice to make the loot working a 40hr ft job, mowing 16 lawns, and making 100/hr making crafts in this economy.