PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a decent dock light.

Mr. Quik electric
03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,
I know we have probably hashed this topic a few times already. I searched the archives but was not finding what I need. I did an estimate yesterday and the customer has a dock out back they would like some illumination thrown across. They want to keep the light level extremely low and not interested in any lighting from sources such as a path style light that can get kicked. The only thing I could come up with was the Hunza step light. Which I know would probably work great but he about fell over when I told him that each light was around 6 bills. Have you guys run into anything else out there similar. I know James had his integraliter, but the future of that line seems to be coming to an end and I am not in the business of promising my customers something if I am not sure I can deliver.

I appreciate the help guys. Thanks

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-22-2009, 09:17 AM
The Hunza PL is a wickedly good little fixture but comes with two significant disadvantages: 1: The price. Remeber to include the mounting can too as it is necessary to secure the fixutre. DK-Can is part number I think. 2: It is a core mount fixture, so locating around the perimeter on a typical dock structure can be problematic.

I have found a very similar fixture to this which is in 'pre-release' stage. It is a Stainless Steel, small footprint and uses an LED as the light source. I was talking with them only last week about this fixture as I wanted specific LED specifications before would go forward with it. The specifications were just released in the past day or so, and it is a 120V fixture in it's current format. I will be speaking to them about some possible changes soon. You can see it here : http://lumux.com/details.php?gid=240&sgid=&nav=p&pid=934

Lastly, I really hope that NS pulls through and continues to produce the INTEGRA Liter. It really is the only glare free, dark sky friendly, flush mount fixture suitable for lighting docks.

Regards.

Mr. Quik electric
03-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, that is really similar. I wonder what the price point is going to be on that little baby.

I was thinking about this all day yesterday and I think I have come up with a fixture design/modification that would work really well. I need to talk to Joey on monday about it's feasability.

In regards to NS, if they do go under you can pretty much rest assured that some manu will come in and sort through the product lines. Those that are unique and innovative will probably still have an avenue to the marketplace. Those that are old and outdated will see the recycle bin. The integra-liter is quite unique in its form and application. I would expect to see this available in some fashion down the road. I am just uncertain who it may be with though.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Tim, if NS does break up or go under, you can be sure that I will have a representative there to try and get the molds and paperwork on the INTEGRAliter. Of course, this is not the only way to have a similar fixture brought to market (as Unique knows oh so well) but it is the 'proper' way.

I have approached another Manufacture about a 'new and improved' INTEGRALiter, but they will only commit if I can assure them sales of many many more units per year than I have demand for.

MAGLIGHTING
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Tim, if NS does break up or go under, you can be sure that I will have a representative there to try and get the molds and paperwork on the INTEGRAliter. Of course, this is not the only way to have a similar fixture brought to market (as Unique knows oh so well) but it is the 'proper' way.

I have approached another Manufacture about a 'new and improved' INTEGRALiter, but they will only commit if I can assure them sales of many many more units per year than I have demand for.
Pay them 10K in production fees and mold costs and that doesn't include your first run. Initial order 1,000 pcs. 1/2 prepaid up front and 1/2 on delivery. Then you'd better follow up with some regular orders or you will quickly lose their interest. In the manufacturing business it's qty qty qty. Money is only made in margins and they don't particularly care how innovative and exciting the product may be. To them it's another chunk of brass just in another shape and form. Then when you are ready to submit for listings you'd better have your check book ready again.
Welcome to my world.

Mike M
03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Tim, on the other end of the spectrum, FOLD sold me a set of stainless steel Corona deck lights I used on a dock last year to replace brass ones (the covers were coming loose, no set screws). Well, I was very happy with the weight and feel of them, and they look really nice. They are only for one direction, though (180 degrees).

Mike M.

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Tim,

If you want something similar to the hunza without the price check out the SPJ line. http://www.spjlighting.com/products/*/*/2770 should be the link to it.

I know I have one in a box around the shop but I have never installed it. Appears to be very well built and solid brass. Email me if you need me to dig it out and get some more photos.

This light is MR16 based which means you can go anywhere from 10 to 35w and add lenses as needed.

Mr. Quik electric
03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Ohhh Yeah, sweet Billy. Thanks for posting that. I didn't know SPJ made anything like this I will find out what the prices are tomorrow. I appreciate it bro.

Pro-Scapes
03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
FOLD has em Tim... I am pretty sure Chuck has em in stock or at least he did

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I just looked at that SPJ fixture and it is quite large. It would require a large bore hole and would not install very well into a dock if there was any structure beneath the dock deck level. (Most docks around here have significant steel or timber beams around the perimeter, hence the need for a flush mount fixture, or at least a minimal size core hole.)

Coppermoon has just released a new fixture, the CM391. It requires only a 3.25" dia. primary core hole through the dock to mount. There are a couple more 'tricks of the trade" to mount these fixtures flush but I am sure you will figure that out.

Regards.

Eden Lights
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.damonwongdesign.com/PDFS/making%20Professional%20Choice.pdf

Very cool looking fixture James, I had never seen it. I had always just seen the NS beer can line of fixtures. In most of the dock lighting for me here, we are lighting for security reasons and must keep all light sources hidden, so downlighting is the king of designs.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by NS Beercan fixtures. The INTEGRALiter is/was the only flush mount, dark sky friendly dock light on the market. It certainly doesnt resemble a beer can! :)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the link there! Where on earth did you dig that up? I almost forgot all about that piece. It still reads well and it still is true to this day.

Have a great day.

http://www.damonwongdesign.com/PDFS/making%20Professional%20Choice.pdf

Very cool looking fixture James, I had never seen it. I had always just seen the NS beer can line of fixtures. In most of the dock lighting for me here, we are lighting for security reasons and must keep all light sources hidden, so downlighting is the king of designs.

Eden Lights
03-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Not sure what you mean by NS Beercan fixtures. The INTEGRALiter is/was the only flush mount, dark sky friendly dock light on the market. It certainly doesnt resemble a beer can! :)

James, you should re-read my post but I will rephrase also. Nightscaping's line is awful, but the Integra piece looks pretty nice. Found the PDF with google.

Pro-Scapes
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I just looked at that SPJ fixture and it is quite large. It would require a large bore hole and would not install very well into a dock if there was any structure beneath the dock deck level. (Most docks around here have significant steel or timber beams around the perimeter, hence the need for a flush mount fixture, or at least a minimal size core hole.)

Coppermoon has just released a new fixture, the CM391. It requires only a 3.25" dia. primary core hole through the dock to mount. There are a couple more 'tricks of the trade" to mount these fixtures flush but I am sure you will figure that out.

Regards.

Its not as big as you might think. It is no larger than a cm 390 and might even be a bit smaller. Tim you are really familiar with Unique. The SPJ version is a bit bigger than a Nova. To do it flush you only need 2 or 3 diff hole saws and a careful eye with a tape measure and compass

Mr. Quik electric
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys. The SPJ fixture will work well for this dock application.

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys. The SPJ fixture will work well for this dock application.

Another slick trick for a true recessed install in a dock is to cut your main hole with the proper hole saw and then use a router with a rabbiting bit of the right size and depth.