PDA

View Full Version : Plant Ideas

ReelLawnCare
03-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a customer who has about a 12 foot high deck and she wants a rather large mulch bed and plants installed underneith to get rid of the mud and having to mow under it. It recieves a very good amount of sun through out the day but being under a deck it doesn't get a whole lot of direct rainfall. What would be some both medium height and low ground cover plants that would survive in this environment. I am in Maryland. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rob

Sweet Tater
03-22-2009, 04:59 PM
ceck out some pachysandra, makes a very nice verigated ground cover

van Oss landscapes
03-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Depending where in the states you're located... (amount of rain fall, that sort of thing).

I would probably go with ''Vinca Minor'' for a ground cover. It is both hardy and gives a nice color during the flowering season. Grows pretty fast as well.

Roses are pretty resilient to heat and drought, but come with that extra maintenance package. (good for business). I guess it all depends what your customer has in mind, as far as color, hight and sort goes. Post some specs and I'll try to help some more.

Kate Butler
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Lamium (both pink and white forms) have variegated foliage, are mint-related (spread quickly) and allow other, taller desirable things (like bulbs) come up through. I'd go with daffodils (a good mix of early, midseason, and late forms), Lamium (AKA deadnettle), and some intermediate height Hostas. Lots of variation in greens, yellows, whites for the leaves and mostly purple (occasionally white) late flowers. If you go with Hostas, make sure the flower height will not be tall enough to come up through the deck boards.

It would be the prettiest under-deck planting any of your customers ever saw.

van Oss landscapes
03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
How about some Euonimous, both taller and available in a wide variety of colors