PDA

View Full Version : price for a truck?

mikey
03-18-2002, 06:21 PM
hi
i have someone who is selling a 92 chevy 3500 with a ton and a half dump with 70000 miles he is selling it to me for 4000 is that good price i looked at it today it was as close to mint for a 92 as ill ever see.new altinator and battery,it has a radio 4x4 and plow package without the blade....i am buying it friday and i just wanted to know what everyone thinks im starting out this spring
as a sole properieter it was a former city truck and the egine sounds really smooth what does everyone think...i would appreciate it if i were to get quick responses

thanks

Doogiegh
03-18-2002, 06:29 PM
As far as the value of the truck, how about how does it RUN and does it have a valid inspection sticker?

I know you pointed out some things such as that it looks good and has a radio and new battery. I have a piece of crap as a beater car that I put in a radio (there was no radio in the car at all) for $40 from Pep Boys. You can buy a new battery for $60-80.
So, if he's selling it for $4000, you have $3900 worth of "value" to prove to yourself first before it's a good deal. Take the important stuff, like the engine starts.. That's worth $1000. There are doors, a hood and a body to go with it. That's another $1000. Add a roof for $500. Does it travel in forward and reverse without stalling? That's worth $700-1000. (Clutch or transmission is expensive repairs)... Etc etc...

And if you do use it for a year and find it doesn't work out for you, do you think you can go back and put the same $4000 sticker on it and get someone to buy it for $3800?

If so, then it's a good deal.

mikey
03-18-2002, 06:32 PM
its an automatic and it already has a sticker for 2002
plus the city this guy got the truck from has a good history for taking care of their trucks i think it was a cemetery truck?

Doogiegh
03-18-2002, 06:44 PM
I'd take it for a ride, put it in and out of 4 wheel drive mode and see if you can test it somewhere to see if that works for sure, and then go for it.. As long as it runs and will get through inspection (here in NJ, inspection is a b**tch, so a good sticker is worth alot).

It's a big truck, and if the dump and all works, and you can check for any leaking oil and it seems to be ok, then go for it.

Gary