PDA

View Full Version : Bidding a retention pond.....

JShe8918
03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I need some assistance bidding this job. I recieved a call from a construction company that wants me to come and weed eat the banks of a 3 acre retention pond. He Is located 1 hour away and i know for a fact i was the only person he contacted. He wants me to bring a crew at 7.30 on Wednesday to give him a quote and then start working. The only other thing he gave that really helped me are these two things. It has a 3 to 1 slope. Hope no one is offended by this... He said, " I hired two mexicans last time paid them by the job and it took them 5 days working 8 hours a day. I must all be done by hand and there is also a 3.5 acre flat area that need to be mowed. He also said it must be weedeated at about 4" no lower... He doesn't want to kill the Temporary grass.s So what would you charge? i was thinking around 2400. I have never priced on of these so i have no clue how to and what this kind of work goes for... i normally charge 50 an hour per person and on some days 40 per person. So i lowered on this on to 30 per hour and person. What do you suggest...

JShe8918
03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
No One... 640 people online and only one view.... Darn tough crowd today..

mcclureandson
03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd be suprised if he'd pay more than $800-1000 for this...it only cost him $650 or so last time (2 laborers @ $8/hr x 5 days = $640 +/-)...add in three acres to rough-cut/bush-hog @ $80/acre and that puts you under a grand. I've used hourly labor on many, many occasions and they'll stretch a job out as long as possible to maximize their hours. No way it should take two guys that long.

Good luck...developers need their retention ponds/vacant lots kept looking FAIRLY neat - he doesn't want or expect top notch work.

I've done dozens (if not hundreds) like this...it'll only take you a day at the most.

Runner
03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't touch it. None of what is being said makes sense. First, I'm not transporting a crew for 2 hours road time to give a "quote". What happens if you re high? He will be out less than you, and let me explain what I mean by this. You get up there, give him the quote...you are high. He asks can you do it cheaper. You say your price is set, but now yo have this "crew" you took up there that did an hour long ride. If it is only - let's say 2 guys, at 10 an hour. you have 1 hour involved, you have 30 bucks into this before you even made a dime. Now,...you have another hour drive to get them back. you now have 60 bucks...and that's just labor....nothing for you but30 bucks out for gas. So,...it has cost you a hundred bucks to go up and do this quote. Who do you think has the leverage...Him? That can get 15 more quotes over the next 2 weeks? Or you, that has just wasted 100 bucks? He'll have you doing the place just to break even.
Now,...just because he is an hour away, what makes you "know for a fact" that you are the only one he has contacted?
Another thing, if it took two guys 40 hours (80 man hours) to cut it before, - even if they were SLOW, it is still in a ballpark figure. Which also leads to an OLD lesson in life...never believe everything you hear from these guys...especially contractors.
There is really NO way to price ths until you see it. you know the pond is 3 acres, but what you DON'T know, is the width of the bank around it that needs to be done.
I CAN tell you this...if it is of any help...If the pond is approx. 3 acres, by calculating a little math, figuring out the area, then the diameter, we can then figure that the distance around (circumference) of the pond is going to be around 1300 ft..

JShe8918
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
So you think he wouldn't go for more than 1G... Wow.... that is ridiculous... So what would you tell him... Well i don't know for a fact but he did tell me that i was the only person that was licensed and insured for the correct amount. 1 Million and most people around here only carry a half million. But i will not touch it for less than 1600.. Well maybe for 1500 but no less than that. Is that still way high...

Runner
03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
So then I would call him, and let him know it is going to be atleast this amount. You have to have that to cover a crew. It is a logistical overhead issue.