PDA

View Full Version : pre season jitters

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
So at the end of last season my left wheel motor went out on my Hustler Z.... yesterday I was cutting my own yard and my right wheel motor went out, Monday I have a new employee starting and we will be full time till October 31st... great timing.

lawnpro724
03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
That's why I try to replace equipment before it starts causing problems.

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
sure, i should shell out $1500 for the other pump and wheel motor that work fine.

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Actually I think I will buy a new engine before it acts up... you never know...
My trucks a 2004 probably better replace that too while im at it.

tyler_mott85
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Now you're getting the idea!

lawnpro724
03-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Keep the truck, buy a new mower. If you have to continually replace everything on that mower its time to cut your losses and buy a new one, same thing goes for the truck.

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Keep the truck, buy a new mower. If you have to continually replace everything on that mower its time to cut your losses and buy a new one, same thing goes for the truck.

Whoa Whoa, don't talk about my truck... I wouldn't just kick him to the curb at first sign of trouble, we have been through allot together, I bought him to start this company, since then we have had many good memories,
110K of unconditional trailer pulling, 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of brakes, rock chips, hes taken me where I need to go no questions, willing to provide limitless cold AC, never complaining about bottomed out leaf springs, or overdue oil changes... hell one time he was so excited to go to work we accidently ran into a couple of cars on the way to a job, nah I think I will keep my truck until there is nothing left and at this rate it will be a long time, yep the ole 250 is about the only thing I can count on in this business.

As for my mower, though it only has 1500 hrs on it, I've been through 2 electric clutches, one pump and wheel motor, well both now I guess, broken seat, numerous control dampeners, Bogey wheels, belts, PTO switch, several deck pulleys, a spindle, a hour meter, front wheel bearings, all four tires, and a needle and seat for the carb... plus I have never been happy with the suction the deck provides in tall grass it just kinda cuts, my toros in the past would suck the grass right up into the deck for a nice even cut.... my hustler i can run over garden hoses, wires ect. and never worry.

I wish Ford made Zs.

lawnpro724
03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks! I needed a good laugh and that was funny.

Proc's Lawncare
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I wish Ford made Zs.[/QUOTE]

Ya but then they would have to call them FOLD... Found On Lawn Dead...Doesn't sound as expensive as the current bad 4 letter F word.. FORD

CLARK LAWN
03-22-2009, 09:03 PM
you should have done both wheel motors at the same time. all the debris from that motor went through your hydro system. either do both this time or buy a new mower.

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
you should have done both wheel motors at the same time. all the debris from that motor went through your hydro system. either do both this time or buy a new mower.

According to my local dealer they are seperate, let it go clark... I love your willingness to buy new lawnmowers, can I have your old ones?

driver5
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
That's why I try to replace equipment before it starts causing problems.

so what your saying is that you replace equipment that is working fine, before it stops working or breaks? really...? how expensive is this?

TuffWork
03-23-2009, 02:01 AM
That's funny, because I love buying used walkbehinds from people for $20 that are ten years or more old. Fixing them up, turning up the governer. And hauling ass with them till they completely burn up 1 year later, but hell, it probably cost me $50 all together.

keepoffthegrass
03-24-2009, 12:15 AM
I wish Ford made Z

Ya but then they would have to call them FOLD... Found On Lawn Dead...Doesn't sound as expensive as the current bad 4 letter F word.. FORD

you can still call it FORD but instead of eFfing Old Recycled Dodge it will now be eFfing Old Recycled Dixie

polerpoker
03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
whoa whoa whoa, its First on Raceday! I wouldnt piss on a dodge if it was on fire.

lawnpro724
03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
so what your saying is that you replace equipment that is working fine, before it stops working or breaks? really...? how expensive is this?

A lot cheaper than repairing something every other week or so. Time is money its not just about the repair cost its about lost time. I didn't say anything about replacing equipment that is working fine. I said if its breaking down more often than not its time to buy new equipment. That"s just good business sense.

Lawnut101
03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
You just have to find a good balance. Repairs are cheaper than a new mower, but if that mower starts having a lot of down time, and your not cutting grass, then your really not saving yourself any money. I buy new equipment as I can afford to do so, because if it breaks, the dealer gives me a loaner and I'm still cutting grass.

CLARK LAWN
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
According to my local dealer they are seperate, let it go clark... I love your willingness to buy new lawnmowers, can I have your old ones?

when did i ever say i like to buy new mowers? my Z has 1500 hours on it and my 2 walkbehind one is 6 years old the other is 2 years old. i had to do the hydros on my Z last year and the dealer said to do the whole system because everything would be contaminated. how many hydro filters do you have 1 or 2 if you only have 1 then the debris from the bad wheel motor went throught he whole system.

topsites
03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
This is why I use most every half-nice day in winter to do maintenance on my machines,
then I try and scare up a few jobs to 'test' them out, the owners are usually aware of it
and the rates are adjusted, it works both ways and really helps me get through the rest
of the season without TOO much downtime.

Also, machines that break down during the season are as often left for that winter maintenance spell.
Tell you what, it was so much crap this winter I am sore of doing it, literally.

polerpoker
03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
when did i ever say i like to buy new mowers? my Z has 1500 hours on it and my 2 walkbehind one is 6 years old the other is 2 years old. i had to do the hydros on my Z last year and the dealer said to do the whole system because everything would be contaminated. how many hydro filters do you have 1 or 2 if you only have 1 then the debris from the bad wheel motor went throught he whole system.

So I ran my magnet around the resevoir tank yesterday and it is full of metal flakes, both pumps dump used oil into the tank, however they both pull oil through the filter first then through the system, so assuming the filter did its job and its job is to filter micron sized particles, the large metal flakes should not have made it past the filter back into the system. Hopefully.

Alrighty topsites enlighten me on how to forecast a wheel motor failure so I can prevent it in the future, my hydro filter and oil had 10hrs on them. Also I would like more detail on this "then I try and scare up a few jobs to 'test' them out, the owners are usually aware of it
and the rates are adjusted" I'm not sure I understand, you discount the job because your equipment needs to be used? the owners are aware of what?

CLARK LAWN
03-25-2009, 11:19 PM
if you had metal flakes in the tank it is through the whole system. your filter is good but not that good, and check the routing the filter is usually on the return side. the tolerances are very tight and any metal flakes will destroy it. just trying to keep you from doing a wheel motor and the in a few months doing it again.

polerpoker
03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
That would be like putting an air filter on the muffler, if the filter can't catch pencil sized shavings, or anything that is not hydro fluid then what is it on there for?