PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Shortage??

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Anyone hear of a possible mulch shortage in 2009? I guess it is a byproduct of building materials and since the housing market is down there will be less mulch this year, a couple of the mulch yards around here have already gone up on prices...

CLARK LAWN
03-22-2009, 05:17 PM
not here we had 3 major windstorms come through over the winter and took down lots of trees the pile is bigger than ive seen in a few years.

ed2hess
03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
You might be on to something .........there are more demands for wood products to be used instead of gas/oil. These guys have found all kind of ways to combine chips with other stuff. If that begins then there will be no more mulch.

polerpoker
03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
You might be on to something .........there are more demands for wood products to be used instead of gas/oil. These guys have found all kind of ways to combine chips with other stuff. If that begins then there will be no more mulch.

I found this publication... http://www.ipmnet.umd.edu/08Apr11L.pdf

Here is a qoute from it. We use mostly Triple Shredded Hardwood Bark here, so it would effect us, though the alternatives are always there, not having hwd mulch could drive up all prices because of the demand. Beware for bidding contracts that include mulch!!!

Hardwood Mulch Shortage Coming?
One of the interesting side impacts from the slow down in the housing market is that less land is
being cleared. Usually the land that is cleared for housing is hardwoods. This waste product of the
housing industry has been supplying the bulk of the hardwood mulch that is used in the landscape
industry. There is less available hardwood mulch in 2008 and if the housing market s stays down
much longer there could be a shortage of hardwood mulch in 2009.

TJLANDS
03-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Frey Brothers PA, a very large bulk mulch supplier from Pennsylvania,
sent me a letter saying they wouldn't be able to help me this spring.
They are one of my back-up suppliers. Last year I did get several Tractor trailers from them(80 yards apiece). Evidently one of the Real Big Boys must have bought up their supply(Brickman, Valley Crest maybe).

zgrrl
05-10-2009, 08:48 AM
We were short on shredded pine here (middle TN) in April. A major mulch supplier ran out late april. They attributed it to building trades (pine for wood framing) but seem to be ok on hardwood. I dont do a lot of mulching...so I dont know what the current situation is. It would be good to plan those jobs carefully.

milkie62
05-11-2009, 01:46 AM
wish I could find some type of shredder and I could make my own cleaning out my woods.