PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa Trimmers??

Tony Clifton
03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
How long are your Shindaiwa trimmers lasting before you have to replace them? We have about 15 260s & 261s and it seems like they lose their power by the middle of the 2nd year. I am not going to totally rebuild one, but we remove the spark arrest screen, make sure the carbs are clean, good spark plugs, fuel filters etc.
Could it be our gas/oil mixture? We discovered that our 2.5 gallon cans are not 2.5 gallons - they are closer to 2.25 gallons.
There is alot of other things that break on them too, but they have worked better than any of the other manufacturers for us.
I feel like we should be getting way more time out of these.

PLS-Tx
03-22-2009, 06:38 PM
How long are your Shindaiwa trimmers lasting before you have to replace them? We have about 15 260s & 261s and it seems like they lose their power by the middle of the 2nd year. I am not going to totally rebuild one, but we remove the spark arrest screen, make sure the carbs are clean, good spark plugs, fuel filters etc.
Could it be our gas/oil mixture? We discovered that our 2.5 gallon cans are not 2.5 gallons - they are closer to 2.25 gallons.
There is alot of other things that break on them too, but they have worked better than any of the other manufacturers for us.
I feel like we should be getting way more time out of these.

What type of oil are you using?

We have been using Shindaiwa for years, I like to have only one brand, seems to make things much easier. I don't think the newer ones are as good as the older ones. We are in the process of switching to either Stihl or Ehco, not sure witch on we will go with. I will say, we are leaning more towards stihl, they seem to start much easier.

Tony Clifton
03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
We use the Shindaiwa oil (Shindaiwa 1 I believe).
I have had stihl blowers & chainsaws - they flood way too easily though (not a problem with me, but when you have several employees it becomse a problem)
I have had echo pruners & trimmers, if the dealer that I like still sold them I would probably give them another whirl.--actually, if I can't figure out whats going on with the Shindaiwas I may go back to buying the "disposable" echo trimmers from Home depot.
Red Max was junk but we only had 1 trimmer that literally only last a month, and 1 blower (werent that impressed).

kaferhaus
03-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Sounds like carbon build up to me. Run some seafoam though them, might be surprised at the results.

joshco84
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Thats odd, usually the good old 260's would run worry free for years.

The seafoam could definately help.

Do you get gas from the same place all the time? I wonder if you are getting watery gas or something.

Also if you are thinking of switching, i would go with the echo over the stihl stuff. The srm 265 is a very good trimmer, and cheaper than a 261. I dont like them as much as a 260/261 but are my second choice for sure.

The only shindy stuff i have left is trimmers and edgers. The rest is echo.

PLS-Tx
03-22-2009, 07:05 PM
We used to use Shindy oil, too many ports plugging, so we switch to Stilh Ultra. We have just switch again, now we are using Amsiol, haven't used it long enough to say anything good or bad. I did have a Echo rep tell me the other day that I should throw the Amsoil away, :rolleyes: of course he thinks we should use the Echo oil, go figure. :hammerhead:

We have one Echo 261, that we bought to try. Man that thing is great, the problem is it's takes forever to start it and getting warmed up, but once it starts it's a beast. I don't think we'll be buying any more Echo.

We have 3 Stihl Br 600 blowers, and a 110 edger, They start on the 1st pull, and run great. So, it looks like Sthil it shall be.

Echo from Home Hepot? Aren't they very small homeowner units? I'm not sure.

Tony Clifton
03-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I am thinking that it is gas/oil related.
What is seafoam?
They have some straight shaft trimmers - I haven't paid attention to what exact models or anything, but I used to use their heaviest duty one and they worked well.

SNAPPER MAN
03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Tony, If you want to get a trimmer that will last for years and take crews abuse check out the Stihl FS-250R. They are more expensive than other trimmers but last forever. One of the largest companies in my city who does all the creeks and right aways uses these and I see their guys getting the string about a foot long on both sides to mow these creeks and they run the piss out of them. I used to have two and wish that I would've kept them.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-23-2009, 12:35 AM
I know someone who has Shindaiwa thats going on 12 yrs old. 2 yrs seems kind of short. My Shindaiwa is pretty old too, but I love it. Its the most powerful trimmer I've ever ran.

driver5
03-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Sounds like carbon build up to me. Run some seafoam though them, might be surprised at the results.

what is seafoam... and where do you get it?

driver5
03-23-2009, 12:55 AM
I have three. Ive had one for ten years. Love my 260

Ive only had to replace the clutch one time. the trigger was replaced because the trimmer rotates in the rack. ( my xtreme rack should be at my door tomorrow).

So.. in short... my 260's are the shi*. I love Shindaiwa.

My third shindy is brand new and hanging on a wall in my basement. never used, ready and waiting. hopefully I wont use it for at lease five to ten years.

newz7151
03-23-2009, 01:20 AM
what is seafoam... and where do you get it?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm

PLS-Tx
03-23-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm

I have some seafoam that I have had for about a year, I keep forgeting to use it.

I hate getting old. :cry:

K/B
03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Do you have a good Shindaiwa dealer around? I'd have it checked out by a dealer. If all or most of your trimmers are doing this, it would suggest fuel problems.

PLS-Tx
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
As far as seafoam, can you guy tell me how you are using it?

What I mean is, how often do you use it, and how much do you use at a time? Also, do you mix it into the gas can, and do you use in all your equip?

Thanks

Big Wes
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Bought my last Shindiawa 2 years ago 242, I've owned 3 in the last 18 years. The best one was the first one , had a plastic carb lasted for 15 years. Replaced it with a T230 2-3 years and then head aches/problems, Like I said I bought my LAST Shindiawa 2 years ago.

I'll stick with the Sthil's from now on.

Grassman6
03-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Take the muffler back off and gently scrape off the carbon build up on the exhaust port between the muffler mounting surface and the piston. Keep the piston at TDC and don't just poke at it with a sharp screwdriver. Get a set of dental picks at Walmart and don't be afraid to bend them to get the job done. Compressed air before reassembly and Seafoam (any parts store) in your mix periodically has kept my Kawasaki's running for six years on 10 yards a day.

Cutting_perfection
03-24-2009, 01:24 AM
I have to check on which model we have but i know it is one of the earliest models that shindaiwa made and it is still running like a champ. It is at least ten years if not more and i have never had any major problems. I normally pay a local shop to do a tune up for something like 25 bucks each year and that seems to keep it running like new.

driver5
03-24-2009, 10:08 AM
one thing ive been doing... and im not sure if it really matters.. but shindiawa calls for a 50:1mixture . so with the larger oil bottle.. you can mix it with 2.5 gallons of gas to get your 50:1 ratio..... My gas can is a 2 gallon . .not a 2.5..... So Im getting a little more oil mixutre in my gas.. Is surely cannot hurt. or am i wrong?

joshco84
03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
actually oil burns hotter than gas, therefore you are making your engine run hotter.

However the small amount of difference in you mix probably makes little to no difference.

Marek
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
What ever you do dont go back to Echos , we used to run them yrs ago they would last a season then we would scrap them. Ran Shindiawas for yrs then bought a new Echo last yr that has been nothing but a pain. Last season we bought several Stihl fs 110s . Great product, highly recomend them.

Ellen-D
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Just my 2 cents worth. Ive been told, and I am a believer that blended fuel (ethanol) is extremely hard on two stroke engines. Maybe I am crazy but I think "winter time gas" is even harder on them. Sounds crazy I know, but thought I would throw that out there.