PDA

View Full Version : Run away mower!!

greenL
03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
I have just bought a gravley pro 36 belt drive. And when I go down hills it just takes off running down the hill at a rather fast pace . It has band brakes on the rear wheels and when you hit them they just lock the wheels up and then the mower takes off sliding down the hill. Is there anything that I can do about this situation or is that just the way it is going to be. Thanks for the help.

Mowingman
03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Adjust the brakes the way you like them.

Lawn-Guy
03-22-2009, 09:10 PM
dont hit brakes so hard and maybe change tread style on tires

yardmanlee
03-22-2009, 09:14 PM
mow side to side

Optimum Lawn
03-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Have one of those and it is the way it is...so adjust how you do things accordingly.
Acts just like a ZTR...except your hanging off the back.
Maybe some Ted brakes would be effective.............

billslawn89
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
shift to a lower gear, first gear, and let the belt drive speed take you slow down the hill without hitting the brake, or mow on a angle.

yardmanlee
03-23-2009, 07:16 AM
shift to a lower gear, first gear, and let the belt drive speed take you slow down the hill without hitting the brake, or mow on a angle.

belt drive mowers will free wheel going down hill no matter what gear your in

Richard Martin
03-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Tiny rear tires do that.

Trenchblade
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
mow side to side

AMEN, thats the safe way

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-23-2009, 01:49 PM
AMEN, thats the safe way

Amen amen. Side to side.

txgrassguy
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
belt drive mowers will free wheel going down hill no matter what gear your in

Perhaps on your belt driven walk behinds but none of mine ever did that.
If your mower is accelerating down a slope while it is in gear and the transmission isn't defective then check the idler pulley and belt that drives the transmission. If the belt is loose than the output shafts will slip in the drive pulleys allowing the unit to accelerate while going down hill. I'd also suggest spraying the transmission drive belt plus the two primary drive belts with belt dressing.
Should the unit be slipping down the hill than change to a bar lug type tire for better traction both going down and coming back up the hill.