PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my Reinforced Gate & Assist

GravelyGuy
03-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Here are some pictures of my trailer gate after it was made stronger and extended. It used to only have two middle supports. This thing is crazy heavy after this so I made my own spring assist today and it seems to work pretty well. It cost me about $60 in hardware and springs.

It was almost impossible for one person to lift before. The springs took about 50-60% of the weight off.

Lakewlc
03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
looks good. i want to reinforce mine too. that mesh just doesnt hold up

DuallyVette
03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
How about a picture of the ramp in the down position, showing the extension. It looks like the extra legnth isn't doing is job.

GravelyGuy
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
How about a picture of the ramp in the down position, showing the extension. It looks like the extra legnth isn't doing is job.

I can get a picture if it's important to you. I don't have one right now though. What do you mean the length isn't doing it's job?

DuallyVette
03-23-2009, 12:14 AM
In the pic, its hard to see what the structure of the added length is. It looks like the mesh is on the bottom of the added structure. I'm just trying to see how this was engineered.

Lakewlc
03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
yeah, does it fold out or something?

GravelyGuy
03-23-2009, 10:57 PM
You guys are over-thinking it lol. The part that was added to extend the gate is the round horizontal stuff on the end. It's just flooring for farm animals. It only adds about a foot to the length, but it's enough to keep my mower decks from getting hung up. It's welded in place, no folding.

DuallyVette
03-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Round flooring for farm animals...:confused:

Back in the old days, we had round pipe with spaces between them on a bridge, instead of a gate. The cows would stay in the field. They were afraid to cross with the pipes, but you could drive in and out without fooling with a gate.

I guess I'll never know.

4.3mudder
03-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Man, that is a lot of center bracing you have. 7 pieces? Ain't that a little extreme? I have a 83 x 5 foot ramp, and only 4 in between plus one on each side totalling 6. PLus yours is square tubing and mine is angle.