PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the spring tension on hydro controls?

MikeKle
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
On my turf tracer the ECS controls are a bit stiff, they have been like this since the day I bought it, and Ive heard other ECS owners complain of this too.This is the way they are supposed to be too! Awhile back there was a guy on here that put S-hooks on the springs to lessen the tension,He said it did wonders for his, but I tried it with mine and the controls were much lighter, but the mower wouldnt even climb a slight grade,had to be completely flat, and I didnt even try to ride the velke with this set-up as Im sure it wouldnt have pulled! The S hooks he had in his pics were about 1.5" long, So I thought about trying to put smaller S hooks(around .75-1") and see if that helps. I tried a friends Ferris WB and those controls are feather light!! There has to be a way to solve this problem, my hands hurt so bad after working all day from these things! Anyone got any suggestions?

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Mike,
I have the same problem on my Cub Cadet WB.
I was thinking about replacing the springs with smaller diameter ones.

Have a great season.
Loren

JimQ
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
There is not much you can do.

The reason the the controls on the Ferris are so lights is because it uses twin integrated Eaton drives.

The eXmark (and most others) use separate pump and wheel motor systems.

There is a certain amount of "control torque" required to stroke the pump.

The 10cc Hydro-Gear pump is rated as follows:

60 lb-in @ 500PSI
85 lb-in @ 1000PSI

The springs used in the system have to provide enough control torque to exceed the maximum required amount when mowing up hills and pulling an operator on a sulky.

The best you can do is reduce the spring tension to an acceptable level that is dictated by the hill climbing performance required by the properties you maintain, mode of operation(sulky or no sulky), and personal preference.

Q