PDA

View Full Version : Dump Truck needed?

Jeffservices
03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I have been in business for 6 years, I started when I was 16 with a 48 inch walk behind and 15 customers. I graduated from a '88 Ford Ranger to a F250 PSD. I do about 55-65 lawns per week, half of which I bag collect and take away. I do about 100-120 yards of mulch per year. I also do a bit of JUST delivering of mulch. I am looking at an F450 PSD with a 12 ft landscape dump body, $30,000. Do you think this purchase is justifiable? Or do you think I just want new equipment? At this time I use my 6x12 aluminum landscape trailer with 3ft sides and shovel all mulch off. I can normally haul 6 - 7 yds without exceeding the sides. I can add another 2.5 in the bed of the truck if I really want to, but since they load with a 6 yard bucket, I normally lose out of about an 1/8 of the mulch that goes behind my tailgate.

DuallyVette
03-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Only you know the answer.

mkwl
03-23-2009, 12:07 AM
How about a dump trailer? Or a dump insert for your truck?

White Gardens
03-23-2009, 12:31 AM
I have been in business for 6 years, I started when I was 16 with a 48 inch walk behind and 15 customers. I graduated from a '88 Ford Ranger to a F250 PSD. I do about 55-65 lawns per week, half of which I bag collect and take away. I do about 100-120 yards of mulch per year. I also do a bit of JUST delivering of mulch. I am looking at an F450 PSD with a 12 ft landscape dump body, $30,000. Do you think this purchase is justifiable? Or do you think I just want new equipment? At this time I use my 6x12 aluminum landscape trailer with 3ft sides and shovel all mulch off. I can normally haul 6 - 7 yds without exceeding the sides. I can add another 2.5 in the bed of the truck if I really want to, but since they load with a 6 yard bucket, I normally lose out of about an 1/8 of the mulch that goes behind my tailgate.

You can find an older used 450 for much cheaper than that. If it's going to get used a lot, and I mean a lot, then I could justify spending 30,000 for a dump truck.

If it's going to get used every so often, then keep looking. Lots of companies are downsizing and unloading older trucks they don't use anymore.

I found my 87 f-350, with a dump and plow, that needed some work, for 3000. Some months it sits and does nothing, some months it gets used every day. And besides, parts are CHEAP, and luckily my neighbor is a Mech.

White Gardens
03-23-2009, 12:32 AM
How about a dump trailer? Or a dump insert for your truck?

Dump trailers are the way to go. You can get a big load on them and not have the added expense of a truck.

Jeffservices
03-23-2009, 07:59 AM
I have been looking at the dump trailers also. I will have 2 guys spreading mulch for me while myself and another employee mow lawns. So either way I would have to get another truck, whether I get it with a dump or in conjunction with a dump trailer. Thanks

yardatwork
03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I had a 1-ton dump and could only get 4 yards of mulch on it. I have a 6.4 x 16 trailer and I can get 6 yards of mulch on that. I sold the dump! Trailers don't use as much gas and they are a lot cheaper. Plus there is no climbing into a dump to get all that hard to reach mulch!

Jeffservices
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I am still looking over last years figures to see how much I will actually use this truck if I would get it. I am all for growing my business and I think that this might help to kick start that process. Thanks for your replies.

Isobel
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I would don't go new. Find a dealer that sells used commercial trucks and go with one of those. Used truck will be as good as a new one, it will last as long, will come with a warranty backed by a dealer, and you won't be paying as much.

DuallyVette
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I like the idea of the 450 over a one ton (350) A F350 won't have much of a payload. I have an old GMC 3500HD (15,000gvw) I have 5 foot sides, and can haul about 10 yards of mulch.

All Seasons Landscaping
03-23-2009, 11:19 PM
I echo what others are saying... only buy new if you're going to put some serious use on it. Otherwise, look around. You can find used big dump trucks for a lot less than that. Pick up a single axle with like a 10' box on it. It'll be heavy duty enough to haul anything you need, will hold plenty if you add some side boards, and you can find those that are under 26k gvw so you don't need a CDL. This is what I did, anyway.

capetan
03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
a used dump truck ( 3500 or 4500) 1 or 2 with 20k on it for half the cost of a new one, dump trucks depreciate really fast get a lightly used one ....... but remember its hard to get things in and out of it, you really can only use a dump truck for a few things, pick up and dump mulch soil whatever, leaf vac, or a wood chip collector, for general yard clean ups and hauling, a trailer will be better ......

ExtExc
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
custom dump box on your current truck?

Dontpush421
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Just my thought but think about pulling up to a custmors house in a brand new dump truck, I mean if you can afford it why not? Even if you quit landscaping for some weird reason you can still do all types of stuff with a dump truck, I use to take my girlfriends out in my bosses truck girls love a man who can drive a truck.

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
2 years ago i was at the point you are in now. I wanted a Dump Truck because what guy doesnt. I started looking at a Dump trailer and figured out it was a better business choice. There is less maintenance to do every year and it can also hold alot more then a truck. Also it doesnt have annual plate fees and insurance is very cheap on it.

old oak lawn
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
If you can make the payments, buy the f450. I worked at a ford dealership for16 years and they are good trucks. I would chose the truck over the dump trailer if it were me because, mulch in the truck and mowers on the trailer = 1 trip. I have the ez dump insert and love it but sometimes need more room. [for mulch] Will be looking at a landscape dump when the $$ is there.

George Mason
03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
I am at this point to, only I am using my grandfathers 1 ton Dodge Ram dump. I use it all the time, not really, but it's the man's truck and he needs it for hauling hay and farm use in general and doesn't like it gone all the time. He is an old timer, knows his stuff top to bottom and was a very successful contractor with loads of equipment - now in his 80's and long retired. He told me the dump trailer was the single best investment I could make at this point for all the reasons stated on this thread, just think about them;
- Initial costs and ongoing costs
- Up keep and maintenance, tags, insurance, etc., anything with a motor and street legal is going to be ongoing expense.
- A big one - loading materials! High sids make it a PIA for me, and I have a good sized farm tractor to load with. The bed alone is at what, 48" without sides on it, while a nice sunken trailer's walls top at that height.

A trailer seems to be the route I will go, probably a Bri-Mar. Good luck deciding.