PDA

View Full Version : How can i get a better cut ??

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
03-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Guys i have a HD75 John Deere walkbehind. I've tried alot of different things to try to improve cut quality and i just cant get satisfied with it. It seems when i have it set up to cut at 3inches it just doesnt give a good crisp cut. but when i lower it down it cuts better but will scalp too easily. I have antiscalp rollers on it also. I've checked the deck angle and its "where its supposed to be according to the manual" and ive also played with it rasing the back, lowering the front etc. and still cant get a good cut. I have only run stock blades and gator blades on it. Do you think a "high lift" blad would help stand up the grass to get a better cut ? or what else should i try...............Besides trading it for an exmark or scag!

topsites
03-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Several things come to mind...

Yes, experimenting with different types of blades can definitely make a difference, I listed this first for a reason.
Check your tire psi and ensure they are all up to Max.psi sidewall rating.
Double mow, that is, twice over the whole thing.
I assume the blades are sharp.

grassman177
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
i am not a jd fan, but i thought they cut well. if the rake is correct and sharp blades then there is nothing to do but get a different mower. try exmark or toro.

tyler_mott85
03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Several things come to mind...

Yes, experimenting with different types of blades can definitely make a difference, I listed this first for a reason.
Check your tire psi and ensure they are all up to Max.psi sidewall rating.
Double mow, that is, twice over the whole thing.
I assume the blades are sharp.

Do not assume that the PSI on the sidewall of your tires is correct. Many mowers tire pressure is set by the manufacturer of the mower and is less than the sidewall listed PSI. I know Grasshopper ZTRs are like this. Check your owners manual to be safe.

Make sure the underside of your deck is clean. If its all gunked up with dried on grass and mud it will slow down the flow of the cut grass which in turn gives the blades more to cut through = poor cut.

In general a mulching blade will give a less quality cut because it will not move the grass as quickly out of the way giving it more to cut through = poor cut.

Try the high lift blades. It will help to suck up any bent over blades of grass and get the cut grass out of the deck faster. These will also help with keeping the underside of the mower clean as well.

I'd have to recommend slowing down while you mow rather than cutting everything twice. To me it seems to be faster to slow down.

Good Luck!

Frue
03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Try high lift blades. when you say quality of cut is bad what do you mean? Side discharge sucks, stringers, or level?

sirlondon
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
help me here men i have a used exmark lazer and can not get the bladles loose. i used a 1/2 impact with no luck. and broke a socket with a 2 foot breaker bar. why are they so darn tight? thanks

Fleur De Lawn
03-23-2009, 11:25 PM
help me here men i have a used exmark lazer and can not get the bladles loose. i used a 1/2 impact with no luck. and broke a socket with a 2 foot breaker bar. why are they so darn tight? thanks

Lefty loosy righty tighty!!!:laugh:

Had to do it.

Grits
03-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Start a different thread as not to hi-jack the original poster.

As to the OP: Maybe try running double blades. A high lift and mulcher combo.

Ford4Ever
03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Make sure the engine RPM's are set correctly, it may be too low causing slower than normal blade speed.

Bryan Wilson
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
RPM's make the difference !!!

My mowers come from the factory set at 2700-2800 rpm.
I re-set the governor from 2700 to 3200 rpm.

Also bags a lot better with damp grass.

A few years ago factories started using lower a rpm to help with emission control.

GracesLandscaping
03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
other than getting a new mower, slow down a bit in thick grass, sharpen blades VERY frequently, clean underside of the deck VERY frequently, and you asked about high lifts, that would probably help also but I THINK they are mainly a mulching blade which will give a better appearance, but you will need to go slower to get the full advantage.

rwar
03-24-2009, 02:11 PM
i used to have one of those i bought it new in 98,i usually had to double cut everything to get it to my satisfaction or go really slow,it drove me crazy. ive got a 36 gravely now and it is about the same way

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I appreciate all the replies fellas, I do keep the blades sharp and the deck clean tires are usually gauged right where they're supposed to be too so, guess its just a crappy design of the mowing deck. Just gotta do the best i can with what ive got. Not real sure about the RPM's I mow with it full throttle (pretty sure thats what the manual says to do). Guess i'll just try slowing down some and i may look into running double blades.....but dont know much about that?

mr mow
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
First off, how new/old are your blades? Also there are deck mounting holes on the frame where the motor is sitting...probably on the deck side of tires/motor side of deck. Try the other set of holes. If you change holes, you have to change everything else though. just my thought.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Try high lift blades. when you say quality of cut is bad what do you mean? Side discharge sucks, stringers, or level?

I dont know what you would call it, It mows level, But there isnt a nice "crisp" cut all the way across the deck. It looks like it pushes some of the grass down and doesnt cut it all (especially where the front wheels are, Also leaves alot of "streaks" in the grass pattern, doesnt give a good stripe effect

ABeautifulCutAboveInc.
04-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Are you sure your cutting the grass at the right height? I'm not trying to be a smart a#@, just making sure. I know here in FL, Bahia is like that. If you don't cut it real low, it knocks it over. No matter how sharp the blades are.

Frue
04-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I dont know what you would call it, It mows level, But there isnt a nice "crisp" cut all the way across the deck. It looks like it pushes some of the grass down and doesnt cut it all (especially where the front wheels are, Also leaves alot of "streaks" in the grass pattern, doesnt give a good stripe effect

1. get the rpm checked I run mine 100 over the recomended factory setting.

2. If you are pushing grass down usually means you are going to fast.

3. buy a brand new set of of high lifts.

4. level the deck with a pitch 1/4 in the front.

5. this fails scrap the mower keep the tranie and engine.

David Haggerty
04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
i may look into running double blades.....but dont know much about that?

I've run double blades on my Toro 36" WB since I bought it. Very unsatisfactory cut without double blades.
Simplest thing you could try. Just put two blades on in an "X" pattern. They don't have to be perfect.
The bad thing about double blades are, they take more power to run. My 36" belt WB has a 13hp Kohler. Plenty of power. It uses more gas. It'll fling every pebble, golf ball or whatever toward the nearest object. Or bounce it off of something and hit you in the face.
But it leaves a nice cut. It moves about twice the amount of air. Really makes the grass stand up.

Experiment with high lift, low lift, gator blades to get something you can live with. I run low lift on the bottom, a .25" washer then gator blades on the top. PLENTY of air movement! It chops the clippings into dust.

ramcat
04-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Does your walk behind have the 7-iron deck.....usually those give great cuts

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Does your walk behind have the 7-iron deck.....usually those give great cuts

NO mine is the model before they came out with the 7-iron