PDA

View Full Version : Community 'posting board' wars.....

Carolina Cuts
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
dirty business.... who else has dealt with it???

The community up the street from me has a central mailbox system where all the homeowners go to get their mail. Along side of the mailboxes is a glass covered 'advertising' board... this is where I left an 8x11 flier with pocket that holds a dozen or so postcards of mine.

Well on Thursday I drove by to see if anybody has been taking/using them, come to find out, the flier was gone as well as all my postcards. And in their place was another lawn services post cards...

So I simply added another stack of cards...

Saturday - same thing, mine were gone, but the other "LCOs" cards were still there....

How would you some of you guys handle this? Keep putting cards up just to have them taken down? Give up on that community? Or make an unpleasant phonecall to the other LCO....??? I'm leaning towards making the phone call. :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter: I've never really liked conflict, but I have zero tolerance for BS and schoolyard bullies.

JB1
03-23-2009, 10:10 AM
smash it all to the ground.

Carolina Cuts
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Cmon now.... smash it??? LOL.... there's over 100 homes in this community, 2 blocks from my house...

CCC52
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Just a thought, but does the community likewise have a discussion forum on the web? A few strategic posts might not hurt?

Carolina Cuts
03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
hmm, not sure.... is that common? A community posting forum on the web?

hey, I try to be fair and don't bad mouth anybody..... scurd of karma.... but damn, I have zero tolerance for dirty business and @holes like this... he reminds me of the type that would pull all my postcards out of news paper boxes if he distributed after me....

CCC52
03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Is it one of those set-ups with a "homeowner's association" that sets "community" guidelines? If so, I'd bet on it. It's where the homeowners go to snitch on one another etc. The ones I've checked over aren't the nicest places around but in this day and age everyone hits the web. Google the name of the division and see what comes up?

Carolina Cuts
03-23-2009, 10:21 AM
might do that... in fact, just last week I was distributing flyers in newspaper boxes and found this guys postcards IN mailboxes, folded around the mailbox flags, in the street as well. He's about clueless, so I just left his stuff alone figuring the postal service will deal with his @ss....

PORTER 05
03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
this happens all of the time around here, there are places you can put flyers up so we do i carry them with me all the time and if i find a spot ill trow it up, i always find mine gone and others over mine when i do i take theres down and put mine back up.

ALC-GregH
03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I pin business cards at a local AC&T. Every time I go in to check, they're gone. Not sure if another LCO is tossing them but there isn't any other companies with cards posted there.

Junior M
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I pin business cards at a local AC&T. Every time I go in to check, they're gone. Not sure if another LCO is tossing them but there isn't any other companies with cards posted there.
the same thing happens to me, they are just gone, but no other cards are there.

grasschopperofchicago
03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I would spend the money and mail each of the homeowners a postcard, get a Haines directory and cross reference it with that neighborhood!---send them a post card and make it decent size with your information on it. I use Haines directory all the time, I am not sure if you guys use it or are familiar with it, but you should be using it if you are in business...

A quick rundown on what it is if some of you don't know...

You can look up an address in the Haines directory versus a phone book where you have to know the persons name, this is especially handy for a few reasons...lets say the neighborhood you are refering to is 200 people, get one address and a map online will show all the streets in that neighborhood, you can target them and send them a postcard with their name on it versus...homeowner or resident on it...
I use it more for this purpose and this works fantastic...if I am cutting 1234 Oak Street for John Smith...I take 10 addresses--left/right/across the street neighbors and send them a letter stating something like...

Hello,
I just wanted to take a moment and let you know that we at ABC Lawncare maintain your neighbors property. I am sure you have seen our work in your neighborhood community and would love to take a moment to meet with you and discuss your lawn care needs. blah blah blah...

People trust what their neighbors do, and ego sometimes forces them to follow suit...after all...the "keeping up with the jones" statement came from somewhere!!

Here is a link to their site!--- http://www.haines.com/
This is one of the best tools you will ever find!---you can actually target those that see your work on a daily basis!!---if you do quality work, it's easy to pick up the neighbor, I go as far as saying, "I maintain John Smiths property on a regular basis!-make it personal!--they get fliers all the time!---but who is willing to go the extra mile for an extra $1000-$2500 per season, per account!!

BY THE WAY, IT SHOWS HOW LONG THE RESIDENT HAS BEEN THERE AND THEIR ANNUAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME!---PRETTY GOOD INFO FOR US DON'T YA THINK??

jeepwrite
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I had this done to me last fall. There's a popular place in town to eat and they've got a huge wall full of business advertisements and stuff for sale. I wanted to get the word out about leaf removal so I put up one 8.5X11 flyer with little tags hanging off with my number. I didn't move anyone's stuff, I just put it over on the end and hoped for the best.

About a week later I went to eat there and while waiting for my food I saw that my flyer was gone. At first I thought that maybe all the tags ran out and someone took the flyer. But then, exactly where my flyer used to be, was another LCO's flyer. I thought, this is ridiculous. My girlfriend was with me at the time and she said that she knew the guys, and that they had worked for her dad once upon a time.

I went home, printed out another one, and moved theirs to another spot on the board (I didn't remove it, just moved it), and put mine back up where it originally was. I came back the next day, and what would you know? It was gone.

At this point, I was a bit frustrated, and in conversation told the GF about it. She (being a highly motivated little lady) gave them a call and screamed at them (it was pretty awesome). Anyways, in the end, they (the LCO) ended up calling my girlfriend's dad, to tell my girlfriend, to tell me that they "didn't want a war."

Recently, I put up a new flyer for spring cleanups at the same place. They had a flashy new flyer, and I put mine right next to theirs.

CCC52
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Here is a link to their site!--- http://www.haines.com/
This is one of the best tools you will ever find!---you can actually target those that see your work on a daily basis!!---if you do quality work, it's easy to pick up the neighbor, I go as far as saying, "I maintain John Smiths property on a regular basis!-make it personal!--they get fliers all the time!---but who is willing to go the extra mile for an extra $1000-$2500 per season, per account!!

BY THE WAY, IT SHOWS HOW LONG THE RESIDENT HAS BEEN THERE AND THEIR ANNUAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME!---PRETTY GOOD INFO FOR US DON'T YA THINK??

Interesting. A couple of other very interesting sites? Your local county auditor's webisite and local clerk of court's website. The auditor's site will give you acreage/value of a perspective property. Clerk of court's site search civil trials to see if a potential customer has a nasty debt/lawsuit problem. Found those the hard way.

Back to the topic, I wouldn't accuse anyone of any wrongdoing without solid evidence, seems there's already enough bad blood. Still wouldn't advise completely against a phone call to see if perhaps the other company hadn't also been experiencing theft of their marketing materials. I like the postcard idea, saturate them rather than offer the fliers for pick-up like the competition is doing. That way you'll know for certain where your advetising dollars actually went.

Best of luck.

SilverPeakServices
03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Do what everyone is suggesting, google the HOA and then get in contact with the president of the HOA and ask if they accept advetising in their newsletter. One that I have an ad in only costs $75 for the whole year and its in an exclusive neighborhood. You have a much better chance of getting their attention with the small ad over just putting flyers out and having some a-hole take and put it in the trash.

THC
03-23-2009, 08:52 PM
dirty business.... who else has dealt with it???

The community up the street from me has a central mailbox system where all the homeowners go to get their mail. Along side of the mailboxes is a glass covered 'advertising' board... this is where I left an 8x11 flier with pocket that holds a dozen or so postcards of mine.

Well on Thursday I drove by to see if anybody has been taking/using them, come to find out, the flier was gone as well as all my postcards. And in their place was another lawn services post cards...

So I simply added another stack of cards...

Saturday - same thing, mine were gone, but the other "LCOs" cards were still there....

How would you some of you guys handle this? Keep putting cards up just to have them taken down? Give up on that community? Or make an unpleasant phonecall to the other LCO....??? I'm leaning towards making the phone call. :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter: I've never really liked conflict, but I have zero tolerance for BS and schoolyard bullies.
Maybe... your cards and fliers are in such high demand that the whole neighbourhood wants one. You'll may get 100's of phones calls in the near future.

I said MAY...

Would you hire a contractor from such a setting? It reminds me of all those guys that put signs on blvds, I think desperation. I would just bLanket the whole are with flyers or door hangers, whatever it is they let you do down there

Out of curiosity, could you take a pic of those flyers on the board and post it here?

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I had a guy taking my fliers down and hanging his in the place.......so I called him one morning at 4am and politely pointed out that he was not the only show in town I had just as much right to advertise as he did...... Then I reminded him I had his home number and I always get up very early.......strangely the problem stopped...

Grits
03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Call out the other company. Let them know that you don't play that childish BS. Man, that crap really pisses me off.

ed2hess
03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Almost all HOA kind of centers do not allow any kind of advertisement for the very reason you are experiencing.

Carolina Cuts
03-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Would you hire a contractor from such a setting? It reminds me of all those guys that put signs on blvds, I think desperation. I would just bLanket the whole are with flyers or door hangers, whatever it is they let you do down there

Out of curiosity, could you take a pic of those flyers on the board and post it here?

About 10% of the communities in this area have this same set up. No street mailboxes, but rather a 'central' location of homeowner mailboxes under a small rooftop usually located near the entry of the community. Majority of these setups have a bulletin board for advertising.... usually you're find carpet cleaners, painters, sometimes community 'get togethers' and/or meetings.

Carolina Cuts
03-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Call out the other company. Let them know that you don't play that childish BS. Man, that crap really pisses me off.

yes, it's quite aggrivating for the simple fact.... "I" don't do that crap, cause I'm honest and fair. Even at the breakfast shop 3 blocks up the road... the owners allow small businesses to leave their biz cards on a shelf by the entry way. I place a small stack next to 3 other lawn services.... (of course, mines are full color and stand out like a sore thumb)... but again, week after week, mine are missing.... ALL of them, and there will be ONE lawn service still sitting there....

Geeeez, wonder which LCO ditched the other cards??? :hammerhead:

I think I'm really gettin' tired of playing nice....

THC
03-24-2009, 01:30 AM
About 10% of the communities in this area have this same set up. No street mailboxes, but rather a 'central' location of homeowner mailboxes under a small rooftop usually located near the entry of the community. Majority of these setups have a bulletin board for advertising.... usually you're find carpet cleaners, painters, sometimes community 'get togethers' and/or meetings.

We have the same set up in many of our new neighbourhoods here in Canada actually.

I was wondering, does this allow YOU to drop stuff in their mailbox? I know you people have some funny rules down there with the Post Office, nothing like that here. We can put what ever we want in a mailbox regardless of the Post office but if in YOUR town they pick their mail up at a group of boxes can you now deliver flyers to their houses?

I rarly see door hangers up here because we can just drop a flyer into the mail boxes and btw, even in the new neighbourhoods, up here anyway, they still have a mail box or all the flyers would end up on the ground.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Screw it have some fun with "them"..they will soon get the point or just make a serious call to them and tell them whats up your not gonna play these bs games with them and see what their attitude is from their...just remember there always is street justice...lol

CCC52
03-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Street Justice, LOL!

Echo hand blower versus Stihl with a softball size whiffle ball?:cool2:

Whatever you do, don't sink so low as the so-called competitor. Theft is low, rude doesn't work often. Doing as some have posted just makes you as guilty as the potential offender. Typed more but that should sum it up.

A little class/self respect and quality job should go further than anything this competition has to offer. I've never stolen anyone's ad's for any reason. ( I have been guilty of saving a few for the garage over the years...:laugh: )

turfbuilder
03-24-2009, 03:54 AM
I experienced the same crap with flyers. I think some of the homeowners in the more affluent subdivisons get tired of some of these amaturish flyers blowing all over their neighborhoods. I think door hangers work better. If you calculate the cost of the flyer or door hanger plus the time and gas to deliver these things You may be better off with the direct mailer post cards. At least the homeowner will get your advertisement. :usflag::usflag:

RBatten
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I experienced the same crap with flayers. I think some of the homeowners in the more affluent subdivisons get tired of some of these amaturish flyers blowing all over their neighborhoods. I think door hangers work better. If you calculate the cost of the flyer or door hanger plus the time and gas to deliver these things You may be better off with the direct mailer post cards. At least the homeowner will get your advertisement. :usflag::usflag:

A first class door hanger will return about 5%. A great direct mail campaign will net 1%. Do the math and figure out what gives you the most bang for the buck. Both work, but you have to understand the numbers. Locally we have companies that will hand door hangers for you. They are quite reasonable. A little more expensive than postage but you get the higher return on the marketing piece.