PDA

View Full Version : Cut Off Saw

Subicbay
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey Guys,

Need your advice: We are a Lawn maintenance company but I will have several brick jobs this year, including my own. That said I would like get some paying jobs later in the season & advertise in 2010.

What stihl cut off saw would you recommend? Thanks!

soopa
03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
There's a couple similar threads right below yours:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=267154
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=266589

In them you'll find the answer to be Stihl TS400/420 for paver cutting.

Subicbay
03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
There's a couple similar threads right below yours:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=267154
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=266589

In them you'll find the answer to be Stihl TS400/420 for paver cutting.

Thanks, I guess my question should be what advantage a Stihl 16" blade/ saw over a 14" blade or saw?

Bru75
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
For cutting pavers 14" is plenty.

soopa
03-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Ya, I really can't see any advantage in paver cutting applications that would offset the added weight/cost of 16" saws/blades. In fact, you'd be at a disadvantage with 16" blades when cutting in-place as you wouldn't be able to cut as tight a radius.

Subicbay
03-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Ya, I really can't see any advantage in paver cutting applications that would offset the added weight/cost of 16" saws/blades. In fact, you'd be at a disadvantage with 16" blades when cutting in-place as you wouldn't be able to cut as tight a radius.

That hepls, thanks guys!

AllHardscaping
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
14" is all you need. It will let you cut wall block (some) as well. A 16" blade is gong to be harder to get, cost more, and be a harder saw to sell when it comes time to. If you lay pavers and cut in place thna a 12" might be your better option as you can cut a tighter radius with it. For the most part that only comes into play when using circle packages though.

Subicbay
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
14" is all you need. It will let you cut wall block (some) as well. A 16" blade is gong to be harder to get, cost more, and be a harder saw to sell when it comes time to. If you lay pavers and cut in place thna a 12" might be your better option as you can cut a tighter radius with it. For the most part that only comes into play when using circle packages though.

Thanks AllHArdscaping,

I did not think about the resale issue. I will do several paver jobs along with retaining walls, sounds like the TS400 or new TS 420 14" will be my best all around saw. Thanks, guys!

Ottawa Hardscaper
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Have you considered a husqavarna? I normally use a stihl but tried a husky for a couple of cuts and found it to be better balanced and easier site lines mind you i havn't tried the new ts420.

Subicbay
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Have you considered a husqavarna? I normally use a stihl but tried a husky for a couple of cuts and found it to be better balanced and easier site lines mind you i havn't tried the new ts420.

No I have not but, I think I will stay with the Stihl. I have 2 dealers very close to me. If I had any issues new or used they would help me out.
Thanks...

soopa
03-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I've never used a Partner/Husky but I agree the TS400 is very unbalanced. It make's it extremely difficult to get a nice cut on wall block, but it's no matter for cutting pavers.

I too wonder if the 420 corrects that issue.

forestfireguy
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm curious too, used many ts400s, only gripe is for us its was a multi use tool, it was a pain to cut 6 inch wall block, had to flip and line up your cut just right, you can kinda wrap the saw around the block but it takes a certain knack, if you see yourself doing walls as well a 16 inch saw might be worth it. However if you're cutting your radius pavers in place 14 inch saws will give you a tighter cut, though even those really won't do a harsh bend well. Only mechanical issue was when using it all day everyday onlarger walls where lots of cuts were needed we couldn't keep the air filter clean wet ot dry didn't matter, saw would cut great then bog and perform horribly unitl cleaned, and cleaning only went so far.

Subicbay
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm curious too, used many ts400s, only gripe is for us its was a multi use tool, it was a pain to cut 6 inch wall block, had to flip and line up your cut just right, you can kinda wrap the saw around the block but it takes a certain knack, if you see yourself doing walls as well a 16 inch saw might be worth it. However if you're cutting your radius pavers in place 14 inch saws will give you a tighter cut, though even those really won't do a harsh bend well. Only mechanical issue was when using it all day everyday onlarger walls where lots of cuts were needed we couldn't keep the air filter clean wet ot dry didn't matter, saw would cut great then bog and perform horribly unitl cleaned, and cleaning only went so far.

Sounds like as I get more experienced and more jobs = more saws. Maybe a table 16" or bigger for the wall blocks, down the road. Just like the mowers we have: many different sizes.....

NewHorizon's Land
03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I've never used a Partner/Husky but I agree the TS400 is very unbalanced. It make's it extremely difficult to get a nice cut on wall block, but it's no matter for cutting pavers.

I too wonder if the 420 corrects that issue.

The Vol. Fire Dept I belong to has a very old 400 and runs/ works great. It seems very unbalanced but my new 420 doesnt seem that much better.

Bru75
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I haven't had a balance issue with a 400, but I haven't used others, either.

neighborguy
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I generally prefer the Stihl saws but was recently encouraged to use the Makita DPC7311 (?) Uses the 14" blade and it isn't any worse than the Stihl. I prefer to use the 14" as it does allow you to cut most retaining wall stone in one swoop. When I have to make those tighter radius cuts on pavers I switch over to a 12" blade. I have only had one issue and that was when the exhaust screen got caked with clay dust that was choking the engine.

I agree with others that the 16" may be nice periodically, but generally too much. I would go with a 14". As for brand everyone is different. I am all for the Stihl, have nothing against the Makita, but am dead set against the Husqvarna.

Personal opinions.