PDA

View Full Version : Need a new walk behind.

mdawson
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Hello all, newb here!

I am ready to replace my current mower. It is a ~17 year old Honda commercial 21" that was given to me by my father in law. It works great when I only have to cut dry grass that is no more than about 4" tall, but my schedule doesn't allow that. I am a busy guy, father of 2, full time worker plus a side job. My last two attempts to mow the lawn took 3 hours each (and the yard is only 1/3 acre!).

So, what am I looking for? Well, a 32-36 inch gear driven or hydro would be nice! I worked in the industry for a short time and got to use some Lesco mowers. They were nice machines and I have wanted something like that for personal use ever since. Last year the Cub Cadet CC760 at Home Depot caught my eye. And it still has my attention. The price is good, but I am unsure about how I will like the controls after using the Lesco models. So that made me start looking at the more traditional names (Exmark, JD, Scag, Toro, etc), but the prices are a little high for just a personal mower right now. Then I saw the Better Outdoor stuff mentioned on here and that has me thinking I could possibly swing the extra money if it is worth it. So this is where I turn to you, the pros. For a personal mower, cutting 1/3 acre is the Cub Cadet fine for my needs or should I really consider the BOP Quick series? I live near Charlotte, NC so I am not far from BOP headquarters in Winston Salem (I wonder if I could save on shipping and pick it up?).

Thanks in advance!

ALC-GregH
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm sure you can go direct and get it to save shipping. BOP makes a nice mower. I never used one but I read all the time that they cut great. They are a tad more compact then other commercial brands.

mdawson
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm sure you can go direct and get it to save shipping. BOP makes a nice mower. I never used one but I read all the time that they cut great. They are a tad more compact then other commercial brands.

Thanks for your response. I did just read on the BOP site that you can pick up and they will actually take an additional $50 off the price! The compact size will also be nice as I only have a temporary shed up for now and it is smaller than I would like. I'm heading to Home Depot today to check out the Cub Cadet, but I'm leaning to the Quick right now.

What are everyones thoughts on engine choice? Seems that the 15HP Kaw is the way to go. Is the extra $200 worth it to go electric start? My thoughts are likely no, more parts to replace. How about the "upgrade" to Gator Blades?

mowerbrad
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Are you looking at the single hydro or the dually? For the price of that dually, I would seriously consider that one. I like equipment that is electric start just because it is a nice feature to have.

mdawson
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Are you looking at the single hydro or the dually? For the price of that dually, I would seriously consider that one. I like equipment that is electric start just because it is a nice feature to have.

While a dual hydro would be nice I think they are just too far out of my price range for personal use. So I am considering just the single.

mowerbrad
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
While a dual hydro would be nice I think they are just too far out of my price range for personal use. So I am considering just the single.

A 32" dually with electric start is right now going for around $3200. The way I look at this is if you plan to keep this mower for a while you really won't be paying that much. These engine that are on them should last a home owner for as long as they have the mower. I don't think it is out of the question to have this mower last 20 years under your mowing conditions (with the proper maintenance of course). So if it does last you 20 years you would really only be paying $160/year to own that mower over its life time. I look at it this way, if you are going to be spending the money, why not get everything that you would want out of the mower, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I have the 15 HP Kaw machine with single hydro. Cut is excellent, power is excellent. You would be happy with it. Save your money on electric start, for the infrequent use you speak of, it wouldn't be worth it. The manual pull is a pretty easy pull, 1 or two pulls every time.

My question is this: are you comfortable doing your own maint. and basic repairs? If not, don't look at the Quick. But really, maint is VERY easy on these machines. Take a strong look at it.

mdawson
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
A 32" dually with electric start is right now going for around $3200. The way I look at this is if you plan to keep this mower for a while you really won't be paying that much. These engine that are on them should last a home owner for as long as they have the mower. I don't think it is out of the question to have this mower last 20 years under your mowing conditions (with the proper maintenance of course). So if it does last you 20 years you would really only be paying $160/year to own that mower over its life time. I look at it this way, if you are going to be spending the money, why not get everything that you would want out of the mower, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.
I hear where you are coming from, but the single hydro is $2200 so we are talking about an almost 50% increase to step up to dual hydros. I am already considering increasing my budget just to get the 32" or 36" single. In essence I would be easily doubling my initial cost estimate based on the Cub Cadet at HD ($1300). The extra grand between single and dual hydros could almost pay for my shed! And money spent on the shed increases property value. The mower doesn't! :)
I have the 15 HP Kaw machine with single hydro. Cut is excellent, power is excellent. You would be happy with it. Save your money on electric start, for the infrequent use you speak of, it wouldn't be worth it. The manual pull is a pretty easy pull, 1 or two pulls every time.

Thanks for the advice. My current Honda starts on the first pull every time. If the quick is similar I will have no problems using a manual start.

My question is this: are you comfortable doing your own maint. and basic repairs? If not, don't look at the Quick. But really, maint is VERY easy on these machines. Take a strong look at it.
I have no problems doing the maintenance and basic repairs and I could likely handle anything up to a full engine overhaul if I had to. It seems like parts are easily available, either through BOP or local shops. The same can not be said anymore of my Honda! :(

mdawson
03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
At lunch today I ran down to a couple of local dealers. One carries Simplicity and they had one of their walk behinds in the showroom. It has a 17.5HP Briggs electric start, single hydro, 32" cut and I can get it for around $1800. Seems like a nice mower, the controls seemed very nice. Anyone familiar with it? It is aimed at home owners so likely not.

Also, I completely missed the fact that this site is aimed specifically at professionals in the industry. I just thought it was a cool site for gear heads like me! :o

Lakewlc
03-23-2009, 09:40 PM
At lunch today I ran down to a couple of local dealers. One carries Simplicity and they had one of their walk behinds in the showroom. It has a 17.5HP Briggs electric start, single hydro, 32" cut and I can get it for around $1800. Seems like a nice mower, the controls seemed very nice. Anyone familiar with it? It is aimed at home owners so likely not.

Also, I completely missed the fact that this site is aimed specifically at professionals in the industry. I just thought it was a cool site for gear heads like me! :o

im not sure but i think the simplicity is the same thing as the ferris hydrocut which is a really good mower.. but i dont know if were talking about the same one

mdawson
03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
im not sure but i think the simplicity is the same thing as the ferris hydrocut which is a really good mower.. but i dont know if were talking about the same one

Here is a link to the Simplicity site. I have seen several mention they are made by Ferris as they are supposedly all owned by B&S so that may be the case.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/other/pacer/

mdawson
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Another mower enters the conversation!

There is a Wright Stander 36" for sale in my area. It has the FB460V 12.5 HP Kawasaki motor which seems a little small considering it is a stander. It looks to be in great condition, has about 155 hours on it, circa 2000ish, for $1600. Does that sound like a bad deal? I might go check it out if it sounds good. I do have a hill on one side of my yard, but I always see people with the stander's on slopes.

Also, does anyone know when the sale ends on the BOP mowers?

mdawson
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Another mower enters the conversation!

There is a Wright Stander 36" for sale in my area. It has the FB460V 12.5 HP Kawasaki motor which seems a little small considering it is a stander. It looks to be in great condition, has about 155 hours on it, circa 2000ish, for $1600. Does that sound like a bad deal? I might go check it out if it sounds good. I do have a hill on one side of my yard, but I always see people with the stander's on slopes.

Also, does anyone know when the sale ends on the BOP mowers?

Anyone? Bueller?

CFB
03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
stander is a good deal as long as it isn't an ancient machine that's been sitting around for years, which sounds like it might be the case. Does Wright even put 12.5's on any stander? It Might be their WB, or it' could be a replaced engine that has 100 hours on it.

mdawson
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
stander is a good deal as long as it isn't an ancient machine that's been sitting around for years, which sounds like it might be the case. Does Wright even put 12.5's on any stander? It Might be their WB, or it' could be a replaced engine that has 100 hours on it.

Honestly I have no idea. it definitely is a stander as I have seen the pics. I can't find any info on Wright's site about older mowers though. :(

CFB
03-26-2009, 11:48 PM
honestly man, being a business I might take a chance on that machine after looking it over. However, seems fishy. 100ish hours on a 8 year old machine? Highly unlikely but even so it has sat a lot.

Anyway being a homeowner you are probably looking for something to last 15 years or so. Considering that, you would prob want a new machine that you knew how it was maintained etc. If not get a used gear 36. You can easily find a good machine for 700ish

If new Gear drive 36 or quick 36 would be ideal for you. Forget the cub cadet, just forget it. Those are crap. Get a commercial 21 before that junk.

mdawson
03-26-2009, 11:55 PM
honestly man, being a business I might take a chance on that machine after looking it over. However, seems fishy. 100ish hours on a 8 year old machine? Highly unlikely but even so it has sat a lot.

Anyway being a homeowner you are probably looking for something to last 15 years or so. Considering that, you would prob want a new machine that you knew how it was maintained etc.

Gear drive 36 or quick 36 would be ideal for you. Forget the cub cadet, just forget it. Those are crap. Get a commercial 21 before that junk.
According to the dealer it was used by a homeowner so that is the reason for the condition. But you are correct in that I should probably get something new. I don't buy much used and tend to keep the things I do buy for a long time.

The Cub Cadet is not a candidate anymore based on what I have read here about Briggs and the fact that it is a residential mower. I doubt that I will go commercial 21 again based on my current mower. It isn't a bad cut, but too much frustration in taller grass.

The Quick 36 is on top by a mile, anyone know when the sale ends?

CFB
03-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I got a quick dually 36. I think a quick would be perfect for you. Get a dually if you got hills, if not don't waste the money.

mdawson
03-27-2009, 12:05 AM
I got a quick dually 36. I think a quick would be perfect for you. Get a dually if you got hills, if not don't waste the money.

I only have one hill on the side of the house. it isn't that bad and eventually will likely end up getting some plants and perhaps a small retaining wall anyway. You can sort of see the hill in this pic of the house before we moved in.

http://www.pbase.com/madawson/image/92250626/original.jpg

CFB
03-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah definetaly a single for that lawn.

mdawson
03-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah definetaly a single for that lawn.

I figured a single would be fine. Oh yeah, there is a lot more grass now. ;) Still not completely filled in but at least it is mostly covered and not too many weeds!

mdawson
03-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I will be ordering a Quick 36 Ninja today for hopeful pickup tomorrow morning. Any accessories I should consider besides a mulching kit? A bagger would be nice but maybe down the road.

fazzy815-66
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I will be ordering a Quick 36 Ninja today for hopeful pickup tomorrow morning. Any accessories I should consider besides a mulching kit? A bagger would be nice but maybe down the road.

Dont know if your yard is big enough, but a sulky might be something to consider...I like the walking so i wouldn't want one....good luck, I don't own one ,but i only hear good things about those mowers... I think your making an excellent choice.

mdawson
03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Dont know if your yard is big enough, but a sulky might be something to consider...I like the walking so i wouldn't want one....good luck, I don't own one ,but i only hear good things about those mowers... I think your making an excellent choice.

Thanks! It is only 1/3 acre so I don't mind walking. I need the exercise! :)

ALC-GregH
05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that lot isn't very large at all. The 36 will work fine for you.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. I picked up 2 accounts that have a fenced in backyard. I need a walk behind bad at this point. It's taking me WAY to long to get them cut with a 21" push mower. I don't have the cash yet to buy one out right. My only means of getting a walk behind is through my dealer on credit. He has a Cub Cadet commercial G1336 that's a year old and still new and is offering me a killer deal. It's basically a Lesco walk behind. I hate to say it but I might go get it today. If I do, it's getting the decals peeled off and painted Scag orange. :D I'd love to have a Scag Pro V but the price is WAY out of my range.

ALC-GregH
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I stopped at the dealer today and got the Cub Cadet. I guess I'm eating my words on this one. It actually cuts very good. I went over everything and checked all the adjustments, checked the blades height and pitch, all was good so I went out and cut my lawn. It actually cuts very good. It left a pretty nice stripe for not having any rollers. I might make something for it after I cut the lawns and see how they look.