PDA

View Full Version : Jd 7-iron vs. toro turbo force vs. Hustler xR7 decks

ramcat
03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Just wondering which one of these would be best for cut quality, striping, mulching, bagging and durability.

TimsLawnCareVA
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I would pick the Hustler XR7. I have never liked the cut from the Turbo Force. As far as the John Deere, I have yet to try one out.

Grassman6
03-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I've used the XR7 and the JD 7 Iron...I'm currently running three 7 Iron decks and the latest Generation II (with the double caged deck roller) is bullet proof. Put the high lift TCU 15881 blade which has lots of offset and mow when the dew is still on the grass (just slow down slightly when wet). If you don't need to mulch or bag grind off the triangle shaped piece of steel near the rear opening of the discharge chute and blow that stuff 10 feet.

1999frontier
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I've used the XR7 and the JD 7 Iron...I'm currently running three 7 Iron decks and the latest Generation II (with the double caged deck roller) is bullet proof. Put the high lift TCU 15881 blade which has lots of offset and mow when the dew is still on the grass (just slow down slightly when wet). If you don't need to mulch or bag grind off the triangle shaped piece of steel near the rear opening of the discharge chute and blow that stuff 10 feet.

What model JD do you have? I've got a '07 727A I'm getting ready to buy new blades for mine and was wondering where you buy yours from?

joshco84
03-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Of the three you mention here is my opinion.

The turbo force will cut the best of the three by far. Especially in good irrigated lawns.

The deer would be a middle ground, but i have never ran one that leaves stripes like a red mower does.

And the XR7 is great if you dont mow over three inches. If you mow over three inches you can forget a good quality of cut.

lawns Etc
03-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I dont own a 7 Iron anymore but an all conditions considered the 7 Iron will outcut all of them hands down cut quality but not much in the striping ability but wet or dry it cuts very well with no clumps ever.

Lawnut101
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I think you should demo all of them. Everyone has their own opinion. I've heard many things about each. Good and bad.

7 IRON
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I dont own a 7 Iron anymore but an all conditions considered the 7 Iron will outcut all of them hands down cut quality but not much in the striping ability but wet or dry it cuts very well with no clumps ever.

Agree with you 100%!

topsites
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Turbo force is the only one I'm familiar with, they throw the most air out of the chute out of any mower, plainly put.
I've cleaned leaves with mine as if it was a blower, thou once they get heavy that's another story.

ramcat
03-25-2009, 08:18 PM
we usually cut at 3 1/4" and i have heard some other not so good of reviews of the xR7. I demoed a 997 john deere with the 7-iron and it cut really nice. Has anyone noticed a big difference between the 7-iron and 7-iron 2 in terms of cut quality. i know they spin 18,000 fpm while the 7-iron only spins 16,500

Green Machine Mowing
03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
what do you guys have to say about mulching with the 7-Irons for the first and second generations??

whole9er
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I dont know about either of the 7 irons mulching but I do know quite a bit about both bagging and side discharge, I used the 7 Iron 1 on a 757 I think it was a 03 it had a vertical bagger on it that when it clogged the belt burt up bad idea, I have the new horizontal on my 07 737 7Iron 2 but anyways, Im not 100 percent sure what blades were on the 7 1, id think high lift but at the time I just worked for a guy and didn't own the business, it definitely did not have as much blowing force as my 7 2, when discharging they clipping shoot about 10 feet with the 7 2, and the 7 1 only goes about 4 to 6 feet, you definitely know that the 7 1 doesn't do a good job, you can see the grass just cut, sometimes I had to double cut. My new 7 2 bag's much better I dont know if its the blower being horizontal adding some suction but its hard to clog, only the wettest days it clogs and it doens't burn out the belt too. Im much more pleased with the 7 2, and I used both these mower on the same lawn in the same area's sometimes on the same day, I now rent the old one for $10 a week for 3 hours. Hope that helps let me know if you want to know more.

Laner
03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
I have demoed the JD 7 Iron and Toro TF deck units. I bought the TF as it was a couple grand less with trade of my old Toro. The JD cut beautifully as did the TF, but the TF threw the grass further and included the adjustable baffle, which I have not changed since buying the mower. I think either machine would be an excellent purchase, but look out for the newer JD units as they have had some issues (800 series I think).

mowerbrad
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
When I demoed a toro turbo force the cut was very clean, probably one of the better cuts I have seen. But I could not get it to stripe very well, if at all. On the other hand, I saw a deere quik trak mowing and looked at the cut, I believe it had the 7-iron deck, might have been the 7-ironII deck though, I can't remember. But the deere had a very nice cut and striped awesomely.

ramcat
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
there is a used 997 i am looking at for $10,500 with 430 hours and has the 7-iron 1. is it worth spending $13,500 for a brand new one to get the 7-iron 2. i won't be bagging, i may be mulching but mostly side discharge.

Lex Lawn
03-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Without a doubt the Turbo Force will give you the best stripes and cut. I own a Toro Z589 and a Deere 757. The Deere is adequate but can't hold a candle to the Toro. Not familiar with the Hustler.