PDA

View Full Version : Antique Granite Bridge Block

Granite King
03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
If you are a New Englander, Granite was "the" building material of it's day in the late 1800's through the mid 1930's until cement came along. It's use was everywhere; foundations, bridges, buildings, tressels etc. We give new life to this granite that otherwise would be land fill buried or crushed. This material, hard to find, is still an excellent hardscape product to be used as an old New England wall, retention or using select granite block as sitting stones in a unique hardscape decor.

Granite King

yard_smart
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
how do you move stuff that big . ..nice pics btw

riverwalklandscaping
03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
elbow grease like on the this old house GMC adds.

usually either an excavator with a thumb, a tractor/skid steer/telehandler with forks, or a loader with straps carefully placed that can be pulled out to place large rocks

stuvecorp
03-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I love it, our fieldstone is round and I don't care for building walls with them anymore. Nice work, thanks for sharing the pictures.

BostonBull
03-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Nice stone!

What are the price differences for the reclaimed vs. new granite?

yard_smart
03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
SWEET I an't wait to find some hardscaping classes so I can learn how to do this.

Granite King
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Thank you all for your reply back. Even though we are suppliers of this reclaimed hardscape material we also install as well and thought I would share with the hardscape community what dry granite block walls look like when built. In one of the photos you will see that we were starting to chink the cracks with thin Pennsylvania stone. We use straps with an excavator and chink the stones in the back to level off before we back fill. We place filter fabric along the back before we back fill too. It's a nice look for a period home. We also do hillside retention and in one of the new photos we created steps out of granite curb to a lower level of the landscape. As far as price difference between new and old I can only say that the old can't be duplicated for age and that is priceless. New looks too commercialized besides they really don't quarry wall block anymore. They mostly quarry curb, posts, veneering stone for buildings etc.

Granite King
Old New England Granite @
The Granite Farm

stuvecorp
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
So do you 'reclaim' the old granite? I bet it isn't for the budget wussies but looks sweet.

Granite King
03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes we reclaim all historic/antique hardscape material; granite bridge block, cobblestones, brick paving block, curb, slope curb, granite monument pieces and slate. We are harvesting cobblestones from a 100 year old mill. They are in the alley ways and streets around the mill. The are clean and are the preemo of the best in old jumbo cobbles. We're shipping them everywhere.

Thanks for your reply.

Granite King

TerraJeeps
03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
How much per square foot or ton are you selling them for? Roughly how much would a stepping stone go for?

BostonBull
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I am interested in pricing as well.....

Granite King
03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
How much per square foot or ton are you selling them for? Roughly how much would a stepping stone go for?

Hi,

The cost for a tri axle load of old granite block would be $1900.00 plus delivery. You can get approx 100 - 110 sq ft of face stone per triaxle. The curb steps go for $17.00 per linear foot.

Thanks,
Granite King
Old New England Granite

riverwalklandscaping
03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Would you send a truck up to Burlington, VT? If so whats the pricing on that?

Granite King
03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Would you send a truck up to Burlington, VT? If so whats the pricing on that?

Hi Riverwalklandscaping,

Yes we can send a load to Vt. I'm assuming you want the granite block?
Would you come to the yard to pick block out or do you want to give specs on your needs? We would also have to fiqure price to send triaxle there too. What is your address.

Thanks,

granite king

Ground Effects NH
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Granite King
Could you post more of your work? I really enjoy them, An to be perfectly honest I am studying the sh#t out of them. Very nice work. :waving:

Granite King
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Big Bill,

Are you a swede? I am too. Yes I would be happy to show you more of our work. As a matter of fact we are working a big double granite block wall with stairs running between the walls.

ps we are CAT guys too Cat 311, 307C. and 302.5.

Granite King
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Big Bill,

One more thing about the granite block it is a great application to water front properties too.

Granite King

Ground Effects NH
03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi Big Bill,

Are you a swede? I am too. Yes I would be happy to show you more of our work. As a matter of fact we are working a big double granite block wall with stairs running between the walls.

ps we are CAT guys too Cat 311, 307C. and 302.5.

Yes,
And a proud one at that.
I have a Cat 216, with a bradco backhoe 18" bucket, forks ,Earth bucket,
8'snowolf plow. Its little but what a great machine for what we do.
Soon a Mini X
LOL I do have a hell of a time getting in an out of it 6'4" 280lbs
An Thanks, Looking forward too them.

Granite King
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Big Bill,

Here are some photos.

Ground Effects NH
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Granite,
Now these walls will stand the test of time. I see a sign, Do you have a web site Granite ? were about are you in Mass, address?
Like to, or might stop in this summer. looks like quite a yard full.

stuvecorp
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I do like that, nice pictures.

Granite King
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Thank you.

Granite King

riverwalklandscaping
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Well if I got some it would actually be for my own house. I have been looking to replace a wall I built by just throwing all the rocks that have been dug out of the garden and what not into a row along an area. I like the style and was just curious about an approximate shipping price. I would probably swing by some time this summer when I am down that way to take a look, and could pick then or give u specs to bring up later. My address is listed at the bottom of my website ( www.riverwalkvt.com ) - RWL

crab
04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
gking i will be making call to you ,who should i ask for?

2low4NH
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
walls look okay but your using to much chinking. good to see your using the reclaimed granite. your prices are not to bad either. i am a 4th generation mason with very very deep new england roots.

Granite King
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
gking i will be making call to you ,who should i ask for?

Hi Riverwalklandscaping,

Thanks for the reply. For a trailer load or tri axle load of granite delivered to Vt you we figure it will be about $1,000 - $1,200 for the transportation alone but you would get the cream of the crop if you came down and picked them out.

Granite King.

Granite King
04-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks 2low4NH,

Everyone has a preference on the chinking we like to fill the cracks although not all of them. Depends on what the customer wants for a finished look. But thank you for your reply. We love the reclaimed material. Come see us at our granite farm.

granite king

Granite King
04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Crab,

You may ask for me. Visit our website www.postcardprinting.com for contact info.

thanks granite king

Granite King
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Crab,

Made a mistake. Had a mental lapse. You need to visit our company website thereedcorp.com for contact info.

thanks,

granite king

riverwalklandscaping
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
how many face feet would you get out of a big trailerload? Also would it be possible to build a fairly short wall or am I limited to a fairly tall one because some of the stones are so large. That is do you have a full range of sizes so that a shorter wall would not simply by a row of stones one stone high... if you get what I mean

2low4NH
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
you can bury stones. most of these stones should be in the 24" range. thats average for granite blocking

crab
04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
so i should ask for granite king when i call?have been to youre website very cool.

Granite King
04-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Riverwalklandscaping,

In a triaxle load you would get between 100 - 110 sq ft of face stone. A trailer would probably get you 120-125 sq ft of face stone. The stone height on these blocks are approx. 18" to 24". You could do one row if all you need is that. To get right height on one row you may have to dig in to level off. If you think you need to to go 2 rows make sure first row is level with each other and then make sure your stones are the same height when picking them out.

Thanks for your reply.

Granite King

Granite King
04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi Crab,

Thanks for the reply and visit to our website. Yes you may ask for me as the granite king or Mark.

Granite King
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi 2low4NH,

Have you used granite block before?

granite king

2low4NH
04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
yep as well as every other stone out there! we used to use alot more granite i tend to go with a corinthian granite now though more better look. i do more vaneer work and fieldstone walls. i also fix alot of old granite walls and foundations.

Ground Effects NH
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
yep as well as every other stone out there! we used to use alot more granite i tend to go with a corinthian granite now though more better look. i do more vaneer work and fieldstone walls. i also fix alot of old granite walls and foundations.

2low4nh
Can you post a few of you photos. I'd like to see some Corinthian granite Thanks in advance

2low4NH
04-05-2009, 11:36 PM
i can try and pull some off my other hard drive. i lost all my work pictures when my laptop crashed! but yes i can try and get a few for you. its great stone it looks really nice. has great vaines in it too with nice greens and purples some grey. its a much darker color and has a nice pop to it.

pitrack
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Love the look of those walls, how do you keep the "fillers" from falling out of the cracks?Dumb question but just curious. Thanks

2low4NH
04-06-2009, 08:07 AM
friction! chinking does tend to move over time though. you need to be expierienced before you try and build a dry laid wall with just chinking. you can do a dry laid look by raking back the mud a few inches into the wall as well. granite walls also look really good with a finished joint on them. granite is a good all around stone! it was used in abundence around NH and mass to build everything.

Granite King
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Hello Hardscapers. Thanks for your email pitrack. 2low4nh is correct that friction keeps chinkers in place. Wedging and hammering in to lock them in. It is time consuming but we like the look. Sometimes customers ask that we don't fill all cracks which is ok. I just loaded 2 trailer loads of our granite block for a sea wall project in Wellfleet Ma. We're shipping 12,000 antique brick pavers this week for a driveway project in ma. So "green" hardscape material is very much of interest. We also have approx. 100 granite posts and big landings from a mill being dismantled. These posts are incredible. I love this material. We are giving new life to these wonderful products.

2low4NH
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Hello Hardscapers. Thanks for your email pitrack. 2low4nh is correct that friction keeps chinkers in place. Wedging and hammering in to lock them in. It is time consuming but we like the look. Sometimes customers ask that we don't fill all cracks which is ok. I just loaded 2 trailer loads of our granite block for a sea wall project in Wellfleet Ma. We're shipping 12,000 antique brick pavers this week for a driveway project in ma. So "green" hardscape material is very much of interest. We also have approx. 100 granite posts and big landings from a mill being dismantled. These posts are incredible. I love this material. We are giving new life to these wonderful products.

We have been using reclaim brick for many years. using old material is wonderful it gives alot of character to what your build. nothing beets the look of aged granite either the new cut granite just doesnt look as nice. 100+ yearsof dirt dust and moss adds alot of beauty to these stones.

Granite King
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Hardscapers,

Couldn't wait to post these beauties. Reclaimed lentels (window sills)for a 100 year old mill and a few landings from the same mill. Unbelieveable! These lentels have many applications from steps to posts to even a fire place mantel. They are approx 9' in length and have pinkish color in the granite which tells us they may have come from the isle quarry in Maine which produced pinkish granite. Today saved granite from death. That is a good day.

Granite King

GradeMan
05-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow love that rock, Do you have a hard time keeping a supply ahead of yourself
Granite King?

Granite King
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Grademan,

Thanks for your reply. We have to stay ahead of ourselves so we don't run out of a particular stock. We trucked 2,000 linear ft of 9' curb from VT. Nice step material. 3 old bridges being dismantled with 100 year old block will be coming to our granite farm and a mt of slope curb we are collecting this week. So we have to be always looking for new sources. This the time of the season everyone and and their mother is doing hardscape and in this neck of the woods this material is popular. We are also builders too. See the latest granite wall build.

Granite King

Granite King
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Hardscapers,

Granite King here with another wall project. This project is currently in hardscape phases. The first phase of the project was to increase the parking area for a new home in the front. Because of the grades a wall had to be built. So in keeping with the type of home the owners chose us to build an antique granite wall. Here are pictures from beginning to end. Enjoy. Too all you hardscapers using antique products remember to tell your customers about tax credit insentives for using old material.

Granite King:swedishflag:

Ground Effects NH
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Very nice as all ways King
Are you setting all the block with the mini ex showen in the photos;)

Granite King
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Big Bill,

Thanks for your reply. This particular wall I was able to use mini because the wall was no more than 3' and it had a tighter radius which required smaller block. I was able to pick the stock I needed to from our granite farm. That is the nice thing. I can pick from our own stock. The next wall will require the bigger CAT.
How you doing? Any projects going on?

Granite King