PDA

View Full Version : Open to suggestions

emby
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Would appreciate any comments, suggestions, and I only have one feeling left today so be kind.:rolleyes:
This is the day picture and I am going to try and capture a dusk picture in a little while.
Thanks guys.

emby
03-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Now, remember about that last feeling....On a serious note, I am just starting to play with the camera is my excuse, but I would really appreciate your professional opinions on the lighting. Please don't hold back as I will get more feelings tommorrow!
Thanks

emby

Mr. Quik electric
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
The trees look a little over lit, could just be the camera exposure too. A few too many path lights for my taste. If you were looking for light under the birch I may have tried to downlight from it onto the grass below. I probably would have cross lit the birch to add some depth and would have accented the home. That stone looks nice. I think I would try to highlight the stone on the garage and balance it with the entry way. The pathway lights by the entry lead you to the step, but there is no pop by the door to guide your eye to it. Just my .02 from a quick looksy. I am sure you will get multiple different ideas and opinions.

Good luck with your project.

Mr. Quik electric
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh, and welcome to the forum. Hope to see more of you here.

emby
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I will probably have to change the MR 16's on the front porch to 10 or 20 watts. Currently they are 10 degree 35 watt.
Thanks and keep them coming since an amature like me needs a lot of help. I sure do like to learn though.

emby

Pro-Scapes
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
River birches can sometime be hard to photograph from what we have tried. What lamps are you using on them ? I have a feeling judging by how bright the paths are in your photo it is simply over exposed.

We just tried to photograph a river birch last night and it kept coming out hot as well when there is only a pair of 20w lamps on it pointed in a splayed fashion on the multiple trunks.

I think I would try to get some light in the area of the garage too either via downlights or sconces. Need a little focus on the door and also I would drop a litttle light on the bushes behind the birch.

emby
03-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks Mr.Quick,

I really appreciate the suggestions and comments from you professionals. I very much have the passion to learn from all of you.

:weightlifter:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Everything Tim said. Oh, and remember, soffits & gutters are your friend! :) Let's get some balance on the project by downlight grazing all of the vertical elements you can see from the road.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
03-23-2009, 10:57 PM
wow that downlighting was quick. I am thinking I probably wouldnt use a 35w lamp anywhere on this project unless there was an unsightly amount of ambient light

emby
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Please bare with me as I should have gave the information with the photo.

Path Lights: 20 W Halogen
3 Bullets under the River Birch...2 of them with 35w 36 degree beam spread, the other is a 20w 36 degree beam spread.(on the trunks of the tree)
Up above the front porch and above the garages are 35w 10 degree spots.
Transformer: 300w Multi Tap Cast with digital timer.
Two homeruns equally distributed with wattage.

Hope this helps with the suggestions

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh sure now post the night time photo! For my next suggestion... put the existing lighting both LV landscape and all building mounted fixtures on a UPB control system and dim it down a bit. Either that or re-lamp with lower wattage lamps throughout.

The coverage is good, you are just burning your neighbours retinas out a bit.

emby
03-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Proscapes,

There is a lot of light that is stemming from the 400w High Pressure Sodiums from the street lights.
But maybe your right, I will have to try different bulbs to see what they do to the scene.

Thanks!

emby
03-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey James,

I gotta tell you that I laughed pretty hard about the retinas thing!! That was good. I have one question for you. Can you explain your grazing the vertical elements? Do you mean the pillars on the front porch?
As you already figured out the lights under the eaves are Contrast (which are the best Pot going). I will do some research on the UPB control system as having the capability of dimming it all would be pretty neat.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-23-2009, 11:32 PM
UPB is da' bomb, but you have to watch it, because it gets very addictive! Once you get hooked, I don't know that you will ever be able to go back.

The Lighting Geek
03-24-2009, 12:41 AM
I also think the house lights are too bright, but you are on the right track. I would cut down on the path lights and down light from the birch (carefully) as well. The fixtures add too much clutter and take away from the trees and rock veneer. I would try 20 watt BAB's on the porch and use a softening lens if your fixtures will accept one. I would also try backlighting the birch and the magnolia(?), it will bring out the structure and allow you to see the house better, provided the house is softer. Adding some vertical shrubs in those pots would help add to the garage wall. That's my 2 cents :)

emby
03-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I cannot say thankyou enough to all of you guys. What I have always loved in the past is reading other posts of other peoples work and watching you guys do your thing. You are truly a great bunch of guys and I very much appreciate all the help and your suggestions. :)

klkanders
03-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Welcome emby!
You have already been given the best advice. Just toning down all the lights will make a huge difference. All the paths in the center of the picture (portrait) can confuse or stop the eye right there. I would suggest removing some and using them in other areas. Are there any trees or planting beds to the left or right of the house that could be used to expand the scene?

Keith

JoeyD
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
The only thing I can say Emby is why arent you using Unique???? LOL

No, it looks good you just need to tone it down a bit........keep the pics coming!!!

emby
03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
OK, First I would like to thank you all for the advice on this one.
I had to mess around with the camera a lot and I have fixed it a bit as the prior pictures were to bright.
I put a dimmer on the house lights and have matched the lumens to the landscape lights. The bulbs were also changed to Ushio 20 watt 36 degree.
I adjusted the uplights on the birch and the serviceberry and I am happy with the look but I really want to hear your suggestions.

Thanks

emby

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Ahhhh much better! The neighbours will thank you!

(Try switching out the the soffit mounted pot light trim rings... get the lamp recessed into the can and you will eliminate the hot spots on the soffit. This can be tough to do depeding on the pots intstalled. Look for a trim that will fit the can and one that has a recessed lamp holder on a gimbal.)

emby
03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks James,

Its funny I have those trims already in the contrast housings. When I changed the bulbs out I forgot to adjust the gimble back onto the house. Thanks for pointing that out. Will change them up tommorrow.
I have another house that I will be photo shooting this weekend and I will post it here for more suggestions.
Thanks to all of you I think I might be getting it finally.

emby

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Contrast T3450D-xx-xx-SM is a great deep regressed trim for that application, but it is a 3000 series and will not fit into the much more common 2000 series can.

Contrast now makes any of the paint grade trims in "marine grade" after much prodding. You simple add MG to the end of the specification. They send the trims out for a urethane dipping process and they apply a 5 year finish warranty. Great for paint grade trims used outside.

Regards.

emby
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi James,
Sorry I missed your reply on this thread. I did not know that contrast sold MG trim kits. I will have to invest in some as all the pot lights around my house are contrast and of course they are rusting. Thanks for the tip.

:canadaflag: