PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Year & Nervous

dbackland08
03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
How's everyone doing? I purchased my landscaping business last year down in Cape May County New Jersey. I am also a pharmacist that works full time. In the deal I got a Ford F150, open trailer, large stand on Scag, walk behind 30" Scag, couple of Honda Mowers, weed whackers, blowers, and all the needed hand tools to start. I had around 60 customers last year, after all bills paid and what not, I think I had a good first year. Better than my 401k that I am in. I didn't do any advertising, just business cards, door hangers and word of mouth. Just sent out my letters to about 55 customers. In 7 days I have gotten 14 back, 2 need spring clean-up. I also have got a sprinkler job estimate coming up for maybe $4000. In the past few weeks all I have been doing is reading books about business, websites about lawncare business (that's how I found this site). I think I may have dropped the ball last year regarding the advertising. I'm nervous with the economy. Also, I live in an area that has a lot of summer houses, so I guess they will still need the work done. What do you think. Should I be worried?

J & D Greens
03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the site, I understand your worries and share concerns we all have about the way things are. I also feel that things will correct themselves in due time. I work full time in the grocery bus. and do lawns solo for the time being. You defiantly have the right equipment and a good customer base too. I sent may letters out around the third week of February. All but two have responded. And I will give them a call within a couple of weeks. Good luck this season. David

DLAWNS
03-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Welcome. Another Jersey guy..hell yeah. Just keep up the hard work and read as much as you can on this site. There is so much great info on here.

Brian James
03-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Well you still have some options. How about advertising in a local paper or something like that? Yellow Pages is expensive but around here we have something called homepages which is a lot cheaper but smaller...it has it's successes. You can't go back to last year just learn from it. Never stop advertising or promoting yourself. The economy is the economy and there will be people who will pay to have their landscaping done no matter what the economy does. Just make sure your name is in front of them.

TuffWork
03-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Don't be worried, adapt and maintain. I lost many from this season to last. Some I had to drop, some lost their jobs, many just haven't called yet. Yes, I'm a little worried too. That's why I started putting out door hangers like no ones business. Still hanging them things all I can. I've got 600 of them out now (keep in mind I'm really busy so I rarely have time to be walking neighborhoods). I want to get at least 2000 hopefully many more than that. I do a little more 30 yards weekly on average, but I want to double that this year. Hard year to try to expand in, I feel your pain. Don't worry about it. If you did that much business last year your first year out. You have the drive and know how to succeed.

dbackland08
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the support. Good luck to youu too.:)

dbackland08
03-31-2009, 01:42 PM
2 weeks after mailing letters, I got 20 back so far. Easter is coming, a lot of people come to the shore to visit and see their other properties, so I put an ad in local paper mentioning free first cuts. Got t-shirts made for the crew. ordered post cards made to mail to current customers offering free cut if someone signs up and mentions their name. Maybe I should have done this last year. Live and learn.:laugh:
That's my turtle. I wonder if I could claim her for taxes as advetising cost?:laugh:

Ben's Landscape
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Nice card!! I can see what you mean about the economy. I like your gig with the free cuts. Just wondering what you are going to do if you get a sping clean up call?? Maybe some other insentives?? Just something to think about!! Good luck in '09!! PM me and we can talk some more!!

jeffslawnservice
04-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I wouldent be worried about not getting a response from some people. I live in Philadelphia and like you said alot of people have summer houses so you should get calls some time soon. Plus for me i put fliers out about a month ago and barely got any calls till this week. People are finally seeing that the grass is going so they are calling me now. Best of Luck to you this year though. If i go down to Wildwood I will look for your trucks.