jason_2005lawnman
03-23-2009, 08:15 PM
should employee's be allowed to have piercing;

bobcatnj
03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
as long as the hole isnt 3 in round like some of these yo yos

mowerbrad
03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
If they have multiple in each ear I would say no, but if they just have one or two then they should be fine. Though they still would have to look professional.

JB1
03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
thats really the last thing I worry about when hiring someone.

sslopok
03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I could give a crap if a dude has earrings in his ears while mowing. Hell, I had 3 earrings until I was 25 years old. The kicker is I am a teacher. I didn't wear them to work but that was only because it is a professional job. I wore them 100% of the time I wasn't working though. Now I am 32 and wish I could get rid of the little holes that never go away. :)

Sweet Tater
03-23-2009, 09:05 PM
the only ones that bother me are the nose piercing and the labray(sp), my opinion is if ya dont like it, dont hire them

lifetree
03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
... my opinion is if ya dont like it, dont hire them

That's the bottom line ... if they don't present the dress code or pre-defined appearance that you have established for your company, then don't hire them !!

TimsLawnCareVA
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I will not hire anyone with excessive piercings or visible tatoos. I just don't think it looks professional. I wouldn't even give my brother-in-law a job because he has tatoos covering both arms.

CCC52
03-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm no fan of body art.

Absolute best guy I ever had working side by side with me had hair to his butt and tattoo sleeves (including: pentagrams/nudes/skulls) on both arms.

Didn't project the most professional appearance but he was reliable and dedicated to a point of scary. Never complained, plenty articulate, and quite good at communications with customers. When I walked out every morning he had the truck running, everything greased and gassed ready for action, I hated losing him but he found a job with insurance. Gave me 2 months notice too.

Might not have picked him from a crowd but I'd seen his work. We didn't lose anyone the season he was with me.

jason_2005lawnman
03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I could give a crap if a dude has earrings in his ears while mowing. Hell, I had 3 earrings until I was 25 years old. The kicker is I am a teacher. I didn't wear them to work but that was only because it is a professional job. I wore them 100% of the time I wasn't working though. Now I am 32 and wish I could get rid of the little holes that never go away. :)

in my business we strive for professionalism and quality; and looks do matter; we now have a majority of the business in town and still growing; lately seems like all we get is bums with holes all in them looking for jobs that all claim they worked in lawncare business; of course they say that; lol; so i just asked the ??? on here to see what the REAL lawn care service guys say about it;

PLS-Tx
03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Not me, if they have them they can't were them. I try not to hire the kind of guys that would have them.

sslopok
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I like the REAL lawncare thing. Makes me laugh when the part timers get crap from the full timers. Can't wait til the Michigan season starts getting into full swing. I might even wear a shirt that is too small so I can let the tats peak out.

PLS-Tx
03-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the REAL lawncare thing. Makes me laugh when the part timers get crap from the full timers. Can't wait til the Michigan season starts getting into full swing. I might even wear a shirt that is too small so I can let the tats peak out.

Huh :confused:

4.3mudder
03-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm no fan of body art.

Absolute best guy I ever had working side by side with me had hair to his butt and tattoo sleeves (including: pentagrams/nudes/skulls) on both arms.

Didn't project the most professional appearance but he was reliable and dedicated to a point of scary. Never complained, plenty articulate, and quite good at communications with customers. When I walked out every morning he had the truck running, everything greased and gassed ready for action, I hated losing him but he found a job with insurance. Gave me 2 months notice too.

Might not have picked him from a crowd but I'd seen his work. We didn't lose anyone the season he was with me.

Just goes to show that contradicion can play a key role in these types of situtations. You can't always judge a book by its' cover. But I do anyway. :hammerhead:

DLAWNS
03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Piercings don't bother me unless they are obnoxiously blatant. I myself have six ear piercings (two in each lobe and one in each cartilidge) You can hardly notice them because they are small silver hoops. I've never had a complaint about them and will wear them until I think I look too old to be wearing them. It just depends on how excessive the tattoos and piercings are for me to decide on who to hire.

CCC52
03-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Just goes to show that contradicion can play a key role in these types of situtations. You can't always judge a book by its' cover. But I do anyway. :hammerhead:

That's all your business bro, and that's cool. Predjudice is fine, I'm guilty myself. On occassion. Weed more perspective clients than workers.

We open a big can of worms with tats and piercings though. Do long-hairs like myself meet the criteria? (My clients have never said word one). Ever, never has one said anything about my appearance. Do brown/red/yellow skinned folks look "professional" enough? Good enough for government work...I suppose?

In a clinical setting piercings might be a huge issue. Tats are tats, tasteful or not. I'm not a fan of any of it but my clients know me for my ponytail and combat boots. I can gay up with khaki's and a bold polo shirt but more often than not I'm sporting fatigues, hair, and big boots. Neighbor calls and reports a suspicious person? "Oh, that's just Wes. He gardens for us." I'm clean, my truck and equipment are clean. My work speaks for itself. Sometimes I do go with the gay-wear, only for another engagement, not sales or an over-boosted ego of what I'm selling. Does the trashman sport a gay-ass logo Polo shirt on monday morning? Does anyone really care or price shop that end? Uniforms are for those who choose. Tried it, too much hassle to look the same everyday for me. Works for some.

I have good communication skills, at least good enough to sell what I do. I make a living. An honest living with all but nothing currently financed. Saving that for absolute desperation or well planned expansion.

My point in my comment was taken. The dude I mentioned was as perfect as you'll ever have regardless of appearance. Sure, coulda shaved his head and stripped him bare of tattoos but would I have made more? It's 2009 and most grannies out there have 12 year-old granddaughters with belly piercings (if not tongue studs). Seems to me this "professional image" is a little more snooty than the probable clientel. (seriously, are they looking at your Hort degree in your waiting room?)

I don't like the body art crap, I have none. I don't like it on chicks but that doesn't rule them out when I'm looking. I've worked with far too many "clean-cut" morons that couldn't blow a sidewalk to be so shallow as to pretend I was better than anyone else for my personal choices. But maybe that's just me?

I'm really not here to argue and I hope my opinion isn't one that engages more of it. A clean cut appearance is nice. People skills go a little farther in my book. Quality is the bottom line, however you achieve it. People recognize it's not the British Invasion from 1961. Give folks some credit, times and fads change. Only the most uptight will be a problem and they're probably better suited with a narrow-minded helper monkey or two.

Just seems petty. If I had a 4-star restaurant? Still seems petty. As long as the quality is there.

Quality, isn't that what we sell?

Edited to add: Try to sell.... It's all I've ever tried to sell.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-24-2009, 02:10 AM
I personally don't mind if they have them or tattoos aslong as they dont act like a fool and know how to talk to people...and know how to work their A$$ off

topsites
03-24-2009, 02:37 AM

I think a piercing can be worn in style, but I also think it takes a certain person or it's just right for some reason and it's fine.

For instance I have my tongue pierced, had this since before I started in business.
Few folks ever see it, as many ever notice, I don't try and show it off.
On the other hand you get some folks it's like "WAAA!"

Which, it's hard to define exactly, but I think the key phrase here could be that
"so long it is in moderation and it is found to be in good taste it might be allowed"
then that way the owner can and will always make the ultimate decision.

Piercings don't bother me unless they are obnoxiously blatant. I myself have six ear piercings (two in each lobe and one in each cartilidge) You can hardly notice them because they are small silver hoops. I've never had a complaint about them and will wear them until I think I look too old to be wearing them. It just depends on how excessive the tattoos and piercings are for me to decide on who to hire.

That's it, same thing I believe.

yardatwork
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I've owed my company for 11 years now...and...both of my ears have been pierced since day one (ears have been pierced since I've been 16 years old).

I personally think the crews who have guys who take their shirts off, have long hair in pony tails, and have the cigarette hanging out of their mouth look more unprofessional.

delphied
03-24-2009, 07:40 AM

All of my competitors employees should have large piercings, multiple tattoos, and shaved heads. My employees shouldnt.

tamadrummer
03-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Can they use a trimmer/edger/blower?

Can they mow?

Can they trim hedges and keep the lines straight and shape like I expect?

Then what difference does it make to me if they have tats or piercings.

It is the craziest idea I have heard to judge the book by the cover. Alot of tattooed people will have artistic abilities that are far beyond the straight laced and will see the need for the beautiful landscape v. the regular Joe that wants to knock it down and fly to the next. I value the guy that sees the need for the beautiful landscape.

I require pants/company Tee shirt/steel toed boots so the body is covered except for the lower half of the arms. I provide sun block/safety glasses/ear plugs for safety equipment and gloves.

kaferhaus
03-24-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't allow piercings other than a small earring in each ear. They can have all they want, but that's all they can wear on the job.

Tattoos... so long as they're not sexual or violent in nature and are not "sleeves" they're okay.

Hair, so long as it's clean when they show up for work (won't be long....lol) I don't care.

My main concern is attention to detail and productivity as well as being articulate.

Further I do criminal background checks on all pre-hires along with pre-employment drug screening. This reduces my insurance costs and limits my exposure to negligence lawsuits.

Anyone whos background check come back with any felony conviction or misdemeanor conviction involving theft of property or violence within the past 5 years is not hired. ANY felony conviction = no hire.

I don't need employees stealing from my clients or casing the place for their buddies. It hasn't happened to me yet but has happened to other LCOs in the area.... cops ended finding a string of burglaries with one thing in common... same company doing their lawns then narrowed it down to which crew and took awhile but finally caught the guy that was feeding information to his cronies that were burlarizing the homes.

sslopok
03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
With the amount of people who have earrings and tattoos now I feel as though a blue collar business is doing themselves an injustice by weeding them out of the job pool. Some of the best workers I know have piercing and tats. You can look professional with tattoos and piercings. It is easy to cover them up. I have 3 tats and noone would see them if I didn't want them to. I would be more worried about hiring the guy who looks like trash.

yardatwork
03-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey Tamadrummer...Dead Kennedy's tat...wonder who else knew what that was a logo of! My day job is a lawn care company owner, my night job is a band manager/agent/talent buyer/promoter. The landscaping business allows me the freedom to dabble in the regional/national music circuit!

GracesLandscaping
03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Honestly i dont think it should matter. more than likely they arent going to be the ones face to face with the customer, you are. but i have one peircing in both my ears and a tatoo on my upper arm and have clients who are doctors, stock brokers, then some who are just too old to do any work and have NEVER had anyone say anything about it, nor have i ever lost a client unless it was only a temporary job in the first place. If they work hard and take care of your equipment and are trustworthy, then WHO CARES!!!! lol I dont see anyone firing a company because that one boy running the weed eater had a lip-ring in!

ALC-GregH
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Tamadrummer...Dead Kennedy's tat...wonder who else knew what that was a logo of! My day job is a lawn care company owner, my night job is a band manager/agent/talent buyer/promoter. The landscaping business allows me the freedom to dabble in the regional/national music circuit!

Ever heard of a band called DC Star? I was a groupie for years. They would rock the joint to the ground. :D I can't remember their names but I use to hand the lead singer a shot of wild turkey in the middle of a song, as soon as he got a break during a song he'd shoot it down. Man those were the days. :drinkup:
For the record, I don't drink at all anymore.

Scagguy
03-24-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't have a problem with an earring or two. But, nose, lip and eyebrow piercings are out with me. Tasteful tattoos are ok as long as they aren't on the head and neck.

reveti
03-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Been succesfully self employed since 2005, my tats, (especially the one one my leg) have never kept me from getting a job, in this business anyway. my tattoos are a product of my self expression and personal preference and in no way should one judge someone by that. I am a hard working happily married father of three. You should never think someone is "bad" because the express themselves artistically. Now if the are toting around swastika's on their forehead, you may want to do a background check. lol

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3741/012kwm.th.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=012kwm.jpg)

delphied
03-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Been succesfully self employed since 2005, my tats, (especially the one one my leg) have never kept me from getting a job, in this business anyway. my tattoos are a product of my self expression and personal preference and in no way should one judge someone by that. I am a hard working happily married father of three. You should never think someone is "bad" because the express themselves artistically. Now if the are toting around swastika's on their forehead, you may want to do a background check. lol

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3741/012kwm.th.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=012kwm.jpg)

We are all judged by our actions. Why would the tattoos and piercings be any different?

reveti
03-26-2009, 03:23 PM
URL=http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=012kwm.jpg]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3741/012kwm.th.jpg[/URL][/QUOTE]

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM
I would be more worried about hiring the guy who looks like trash.

Perception is the key here, Many of my clients "see" people with tatoos and piercings as "trash". Could be the best worker in the world but I've actually had customers telll me "I dont' want that guy on my property, he looks like a hoodlum" and that's exactly what led to the change in our appearance policy.

You can do whatever you want if self employed... and most guys that have all the piercings and tats are just that or they work where they have no customer interaction.

Try getting a high paying job where you'll meet the public everyday and she the difficulty you have in getting hired. 99% of the time you'll never get past the front desk.

And old people with tatoos? Oh my god how disgusting those things look...

At least the piercings can be removed and the hole will heal up.

I have guys with tat's they're all either hidden, or small and not offensive to anyone. Many piercings are a safety hazard and other than a small earring we don't allow them period.

reveti
03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
i see where you are coming from but so many people have tattoos these days. Anyway. I can always wear pants rather than shorts if necessary.I am just saying that people A lot of times are perceived in the way you say and a lot of us are stand up citizens regardless of tattoos.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
i see where you are coming from but so many people have tattoos these days. Anyway. I can always wear pants rather than shorts if necessary.I am just saying that people A lot of times are perceived in the way you say and a lot of us are stand up citizens regardless of tattoos.

I will agree with you. but the perception is what matters in real life and the more young people that learn this the better off they'll be in their later years.

It's the same with "bad teeth".... I've had customers "comment" on a guy I had awhile back... great worker, but everytime he opened his mouth it looked like a black hole... And in this business if you have employees don't think for a minute that your customer isn't going to see or speak to them at some point. The customers perception of that employee is the same that they will have for you. You hired them.

Is it "fair", no it's not, but it's the real world and the real world isn't fair.

nemow
03-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I live in an area of MA with upper class towns. I've met teachers that have piercings and tattoos that show. I was surprised. Times are changing. Big difference in having a rule about wearing uniform shirts and being polite and having a crew member with a lip pierced these days. Im sure it depends on the region of the country you live in also.

reveti
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Well said on that last quote.that is a fact of life.personally I get more good comments about my tattoo than bad and as I said it has never cost me a job.even in my coaching career never had problems. I am a professional youth soccer Coach and work with kids every day. Guess I have been lucky.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I live in an area of MA with upper class towns. I've met teachers that have piercings and tattoos that show. I was surprised. Times are changing. Big difference in having a rule about wearing uniform shirts and being polite and having a crew member with a lip pierced these days. Im sure it depends on the region of the country you live in also.

I bet they weren't showing when they went for that interview.... or your school system is so screwed up that they're that desparate for teachers.

Teachers here also have a strict dress code. Kids my have ONE earing in each ear, stud or small loop. That's it.

School is for learning, not making fashion statements. It was not lost on anyone here a few years back that shortly after the public schools started requiring uniforms that the standardized test scores went up.... no more baggy pants, backwards ball caps (no caps unless you're on the field playing ball) sloganized t-shirts, $100 sneakers etc. The school "gangs" disappeared, clic's were broken up etc. etc.

In that case perception became everyone's reality.

nemow
03-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I bet they weren't showing when they went for that interview.... or your school system is so screwed up that they're that desparate for teachers.

Teachers here also have a strict dress code. Kids my have ONE earing in each ear, stud or small loop. That's it.

School is for learning, not making fashion statements. It was not lost on anyone here a few years back that shortly after the public schools started requiring uniforms that the standardized test scores went up.... no more baggy pants, backwards ball caps (no caps unless you're on the field playing ball) sloganized t-shirts, $100 sneakers etc. The school "gangs" disappeared, clic's were broken up etc. etc.

In that case perception became everyone's reality.

Like I said it must be different in other parts of the country.
Im talking about my girlfriend who makes around $60,000 a year as a third year teacher who has four earings in each ear. Her coworkers have neck tats and wrist tats that are impossible to cover. Also I said I live in MASS so yeah are schools and everything else in this state is "screwed".

Times are changing just a little faster in some parts of the country than others.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Times are changing just a little faster in some parts of the country than others.

Same response I give Obama.... keep the change.

I can only hope that our value system here remains the same. Seems most citizens here are hell bent on not letting our area fall into the same mess. In fact we've reversed what was a very ominous trend just a few years ago.

When your girlfriend is 50... I hope you still enjoy looking at that wrinkled up tat on her neck. Down here she'd be unemployable anywhere except in a bar and by the time she hit her mid 30s she'd be washed up in that business.

Perhaps it is becoming "normal" there, and that's a shame. (just my opinion and you know what those are worth)

nemow
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Same response I give Obama.... keep the change.

I can only hope that our value system here remains the same. Seems most citizens here are hell bent on not letting our area fall into the same mess. In fact we've reversed what was a very ominous trend just a few years ago.

When your girlfriend is 50... I hope you still enjoy looking at that wrinkled up tat on her neck. Down here she'd be unemployable anywhere except in a bar and by the time she hit her mid 30s she'd be washed up in that business.

Perhaps it is becoming "normal" there, and that's a shame. (just my opinion and you know what those are worth)

My girlfriend is the one with peircing not the tats. When she is fifty she can take them out if she wants.
Ominous trend?
My girlfriend could have one leg, tats no fingers and an eye patch and probably become mayor of your town.

Then again just my opinion and you know what thats worth ,up here compared to down there.

ps (we let white and black people drink out of the same water fountains up here...ominous.) shhhh dont tell.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
My girlfriend could have one leg, tats no fingers and an eye patch and probably become mayor of your town.

Then again my just my opionon and you know what thats worth ,up here compared to down there.

ps (we let white and black people drink out of the same water fountains up here...ominous.) shhhh dont tell.

Now wasn't that totally uncalled for?

Our mayor "Sam Jones" is a black man. This city is 80% caucasian. 3 of the 5city council persons are black.

He led the "charge" on converting the schools to wearing the uniforms and banning the behaviors that had led to the poor learning environment in the schools (uh.... the things I was praising)

We likely have more wealthy african americans living here than there... odd that for decades this area is growing in population quickly and most of the transplants are from the northeast.... One of the many things most often quoted by these folks as one of the reasons for moving their families is "quality of life". and our employment rate is much higher than most of the rest of the country now as we actually build things here and manufacture things here.

So your little racist insult was so far off the mark as to be incredulous.

Please in the future avoid responding to any of my posts as you're obviously incapable of having any subtantive or intelligent conversation.

reveti
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Well said memow. As for kaufer wher do you get off talkin bout dude girlfriend. That is nice. As for your area I am 65 miles away and know all about your area and in my opinion you guys can keep your bible belt redneck bull$ to your self in mobile

nemow
03-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Now wasn't that totally uncalled for?

Our mayor "Sam Jones" is a black man. This city is 80% caucasian. 3 of the 5city council persons are black.

He led the "charge" on converting the schools to wearing the uniforms and banning the behaviors that had led to the poor learning environment in the schools (uh.... the things I was praising)

We likely have more wealthy african americans living here than there... odd that for decades this area is growing in population quickly and most of the transplants are from the northeast.... One of the many things most often quoted by these folks as one of the reasons for moving their families is "quality of life". and our employment rate is much higher than most of the rest of the country now as we actually build things here and manufacture things here.

So your little racist insult was so far off the mark as to be incredulous.

Please in the future avoid responding to any of my posts as you're obviously incapable of having any subtantive or intelligent conversation.

Like saying my girlfriend is going to be shriveled and unemployed my the time she is 30?

If your gonna dish out the crawdads be prepared to get pinched.

Times are different in certain parts of the country. Keep hanging on down there. Seems to be going well for you.
It was not a racist comment it was a serious heads up that times are different and tolerance is a good thing.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
It was not a racist comment

It most certainly was a racist comment. And my comment was a 50 year old with a tat on her neck was not going to be something anyone wanted to look at. I've seen them on men and it can't be any better on a woman.

The comment about her employability HERE were nothing more than an observation which only reinforced YOUR point that different things are acceptable in different parts of the country.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used her specifically as an example (and I apologize for that)but it's still the truth.

And so far as the other poster who wished to chime in that couldn't even properly form a sentence.... this "redneck" has a MBA and is BLACK as the night. I guess it never occured to you that a BLACK man could own a successful business? So you both assumed that I was white? Was it because I'm articulate? A black man can't be articulate?

nemow
03-26-2009, 04:58 PM
It most certainly was a racist comment. And my comment was a 50 year old with a tat on her neck was not going to be something anyone wanted to look at. I've seen them on men and it can't be any better on a woman.

The comment about her employability HERE were nothing more than an observation which only reinforced YOUR point that different things are acceptable in different parts of the country.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used her specifically as an example (and I apologize for that)but it's still the truth.

And so far as the other poster who wished to chime in that couldn't even properly form a sentence.... this "redneck" has a MBA and is BLACK as the night. I guess it never occured to you that a BLACK man could own a successful business? So you both assumed that I was white? Was it because I'm articulate? A black man can't be articulate?

Its not about race. Stop trying to make it about race. Im not racist. I just dont like rednecks. Our president is black so yeah it did occur to me. Isn't it great racism is dead?

Keep up the good work. Keep building things and such down there. Im sure business is booooming.

Oh and waaaaaaaah stop taling to me waaaaaah dont reply to my posts on this site ever again waaaaaaaaaah.

reveti
03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Glad you are educated. Oh my best friend is black.it looks to me that you are just trying to start crap so we are done.

reveti
03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Nemow this guy is just tryin to start crap. He started wit tattoos and now he is throwin the race card. Welcome to the south. NAACP will be on here In 10 minutes if you keep dealin with this educated man who thinks everyone is trash that have tats or piercings. Guess I should have got am mba then he would accept me. What a prick

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh my best friend is black

Sure and I could retire with a dollar for everytime I've heard that lame ass remark.

nemow
03-26-2009, 05:27 PM
"And so far as the other poster who wished to chime in that couldn't even properly form a sentence.... this "redneck" has a MBA and is BLACK as the night. I guess it never occured to you that a BLACK man could own a successful business? So you both assumed that I was white? Was it because I'm articulate? A black man can't be articulate?"

Wish I had a nickle everytime the race card was played I'd have a royal flush.

Wouldn't it be funny if I was black (am I?) and you were calling me racist. That would be great since you have no idea anything about me on this random internet forum. Maybe you should keep your race cards a little closer to your chest. Our president the most powerful man in the world is black. Your(our?) race cards aren't worth much anymore.

Lazer_Z
03-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't allow piercings other than a small earring in each ear. They can have all they want, but that's all they can wear on the job.

Tattoos... so long as they're not sexual or violent in nature and are not "sleeves" they're okay.

Hair, so long as it's clean when they show up for work (won't be long....lol) I don't care.

My main concern is attention to detail and productivity as well as being articulate.

Further I do criminal background checks on all pre-hires along with pre-employment drug screening. This reduces my insurance costs and limits my exposure to negligence lawsuits.

Anyone whos background check come back with any felony conviction or misdemeanor conviction involving theft of property or violence within the past 5 years is not hired. ANY felony conviction = no hire.

I don't need employees stealing from my clients or casing the place for their buddies. It hasn't happened to me yet but has happened to other LCOs in the area.... cops ended finding a string of burglaries with one thing in common... same company doing their lawns then narrowed it down to which crew and took awhile but finally caught the guy that was feeding information to his cronies that were burlarizing the homes. kaferhaus, I've got 6 total tattoos, 3 are clearly visible and the other 3 are easily covered by my pants. None of the 6 are offensive or sexual in any nature and eventually I'm going to have a full sleeve, I've never gotten any negative comments on the ones on my arm. I'll dig up the link and post it so you can see that tattoos can be tasteful. Here's the link to the ink on my arm. http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2821607&postcount=13

As far as piercings goes, yes I have a few of those as well. 8 total, newest being my eyebrow, my ears are not of average size either. It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best to describe my ears. My left ear is: 5/8", 8ga, 8ga, 14ga cartilage. My right ear is: 5/8", 8ga, 8ga. Now to you I seem like a "freak" and I'm sure you could think of many other colorful words to describe me, but what do I care about what you think of me. I'm not a drug addict, I'm not an alcoholic, I'm just a not so average looking 27 year old guy who busts his but doing what he likes.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 05:58 PM
kaferhaus, I've got 6 total tattoos, 3 are clearly visible and the other 3 are easily covered by my pants. None of the 6 are offensive or sexual in any nature and eventually I'm going to have a full sleeve, I've never gotten any negative comments on the ones on my arm. I'll dig up the link and post it so you can see that tattoos can be tasteful. Here's the link to the ink on my arm. http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2821607&postcount=13

As far as piercings goes, yes I have a few of those as well. 8 total, newest being my eyebrow, my ears are not of average size either. It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best to describe my ears. My left ear is: 5/8", 8ga, 8ga, 14ga cartilage. My right ear is: 5/8", 8ga, 8ga. Now to you I seem like a "freak" and I'm sure you could think of many other colorful words to describe me, but what do I care about what you think of me. I'm not a drug addict, I'm not an alcoholic, I'm just a not so average looking 27 year old guy who busts his but doing what he likes.

I'm sure you're a great guy, do great work and you're self employed correct?

I have no personal aversion to tatoo's. Many of my older customers do however. facial piercings are looked at here as "freakish"... I don't understand why some guys get offended by that statement. I don't care what you look like. That's your business. I do care what my customers do not want to see on their property. If sexual or violent tatoos bother my customers who are feeding me, my employees and paying my bills then I'm not going to let them be "bothered". Same with the piercings.

If you want to adorn yourself in some unorthodox way.... what are you doing? You're fighting the "status quo" and you're likely doing it for just that reason. you feel it's rebellious or "individual" or whatever and that's fine.

Trying to make other people accept it as "normal" and socially acceptable is a different animal all together.

Do whatever you like, just don't be offended when other people outside of your circle don't like it.

reveti
03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Kafer. You are no more than a racist stereotypical ass hole who Is not willing to accept anyone who doesn't fit the "normal" get with the times man. My tattoos are not about being rebellious. They are artistic expressions of myself and all have personal meaning.weather you like them or not you shouldn't categorize people unorthodox because of self expression. You will be very lonely in life with that kind of redicilous attitude. You should respect people for who they are and not judge. Times are changing. Many people have tats and piercings, many more will get them. Wake up and smell the roses big guy or you will find yourself a bigot one day.

Lazer_Z
03-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm sure you're a great guy, do great work and you're self employed correct?

I have no personal aversion to tatoo's. Many of my older customers do however. facial piercings are looked at here as "freakish"... I don't understand why some guys get offended by that statement. I don't care what you look like. That's your business. I do care what my customers do not want to see on their property. If sexual or violent tatoos bother my customers who are feeding me, my employees and paying my bills then I'm not going to let them be "bothered". Same with the piercings.

If you want to adorn yourself in some unorthodox way.... what are you doing? You're fighting the "status quo" and you're likely doing it for just that reason. you feel it's rebellious or "individual" or whatever and that's fine.

Trying to make other people accept it as "normal" and socially acceptable is a different animal all together.

Do whatever you like, just don't be offended when other people outside of your circle don't like it. Yes Sir, I am indeed self employed.

I personally disagree with the statement about doing it because I want to be "rebellious", it seems like the "cut and paste" type answer, but yes I did do this because I wanted to. No one made me get tattooed, pierce what's been pierced or make my ears the size they are. I don't try do make people like what I've done, I've gotten my fair share of "did that hurt?" or "Why did you doe that?" type questions, but when I show people my tattoos and explain the meanings behind them I get compliments on how nice they are. The ribbon's you see are the Breast & Colon cancer ribbon's, the meaning is simple, yet tragic at the same time. I lost my Grandmother on my fathers side to a combo of both and this past August I lost my Father, although not to colon cancer it self, the ribbon still stands as a constant reminder of the fact that the disease runs in my family. Trust me, I'm not offended buy people not liking tattoos or piercings and I also understand the fact that neither one or the other are for everyone. I will say though that I was watching a show on the history of body art and a well known tattoo artist by the name of Paul Booth tattooed a heart surgeon, it was a back piece of an anatomically correct heart. I've seen nurses with both tattoos & piercings as well. I'll leave it at that and you are free to take my post however you see fit. Have a good one :waving:

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Kafer. You are no more than a racist stereotypical ass hole who Is not willing to accept anyone who doesn't fit the "normal" get with the times man. My tattoos are not about being rebellious. They are artistic expressions of myself and all have personal meaning.weather you like them or not you shouldn't categorize people unorthodox because of self expression. You will be very lonely in life with that kind of redicilous attitude. You should respect people for who they are and not judge. Times are changing. Many people have tats and piercings, many more will get them. Wake up and smell the roses big guy or you will find yourself a bigot one day.

As I said to he who cannot comprehend what he reads... I don't care what you do. I'm in business to make money and that's the only reason I'm in business. If your "art" makes my clients want to puke then I can't have you on my payroll.

And unfortunately for good folks like you... most people you tend to see sporting this art here are either poorly educated hicks, thugs, thug wannabes or folks that just live in fairly tale land.

You won't find any of these folks in what anyone would call a "nice job". If they have a pot to pee in it's because they're self employed or work for their family.

Actually it's gotten "better" here in the past couple of years, maybe the social stigma or lack of being able to get a job is taking it's toll.

Again, I don't care what you do or what you have, that was never my point. My comments were about who I would or would not hire to work on my customers properties and the challenges that folks HERE have to face if they choose to partake in those "arts".

I mean I don't see many CEO's of fortune 1000 companies sporting tatoos or piercings... or stock brokers or insurance brokers, or bankers or even bank tellers... maybe the uber intelligent guys at the harley shop but that's about it.

Lazer_Z
03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Kafer. You are no more than a racist stereotypical ass hole who Is not willing to accept anyone who doesn't fit the "normal" get with the times man. My tattoos are not about being rebellious. They are artistic expressions of myself and all have personal meaning.weather you like them or not you shouldn't categorize people unorthodox because of self expression. You will be very lonely in life with that kind of redicilous attitude. You should respect people for who they are and not judge. Times are changing. Many people have tats and piercings, many more will get them. Wake up and smell the roses big guy or you will find yourself a bigot one day. reveti, Take it easy man, from the sound of your post you're about to blow a gasket. It's fine, read my reply to him.

It was mentioned earlier, but I failed to touch on the subject of the opposite sex having piercings or tattoos. Personally, I like a girl with a little ink, piercings and or stretched ear's aren't a bother much. I've been hanging out with a girl I met and she's got some of both, her ears are much, much smaller than mine, but still above average size at 2ga, that's about the size of a #2 pencil. She's also working her way toward a half sleeve, the work in my opinion is beautifully done, it's very bright and colorful.

Lazer_Z
03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
As I said to he who cannot comprehend what he reads... I don't care what you do. I'm in business to make money and that's the only reason I'm in business. If your "art" makes my clients want to puke then I can't have you on my payroll.

And unfortunately for good folks like you... most people you tend to see sporting this art here are either poorly educated hicks, thugs, thug wannabes or folks that just live in fairly tale land.

You won't find any of these folks in what anyone would call a "nice job". If they have a pot to pee in it's because they're self employed or work for their family.

Actually it's gotten "better" here in the past couple of years, maybe the social stigma or lack of being able to get a job is taking it's toll.

Again, I don't care what you do or what you have, that was never my point. My comments were about who I would or would not hire to work on my customers properties and the challenges that folks HERE have to face if they choose to partake in those "arts".

I mean I don't see many CEO's of fortune 1000 companies sporting tatoos or piercings... or stock brokers or insurance brokers, or bankers or even bank tellers... maybe the uber intelligent guys at the harley shop but that's about it. Don't take this the wrong way, but you either need to take the blinders off or you need glasses. You're obviously not looking close enough, they may not have piercings, but they may very well have at least 1 hidden tattoo.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but you either need to take the blinders off or you need glasses. You're obviously not looking close enough, they may not have piercings, but they may very well have at least 1 hidden tattoo.

I have no problem with that. I have guys working for me with visible tatoos... seems some of the posters have selective reading skills. I have guys (same guys) that have piercings. They dont' wear any piercings to work other than earrings as OSHA says theyr'e saftey hazards in this work environment and some of my customers think it's disgusting. I care what my customers think they pay the bills.

I don't have guys with "sleeves" I've had complaints from customers about it. I'll not lose one single customer because one of my employees wants to "express himself" that's his business, it won't be mine.

I won't have employee's with sexually graphic or violent tatoos that can be seen. My customers won't like it and I don't like it (I have rights too you know. If I don't like your appearance I don't hire you)

I've seen ladies with a very modest and small tatoo on their ankle, or shoulder and thought they were nice. Once they go beyond that, I think it's ugly and later in life that woman will have great regrets over having had it done.

JB1
03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
thank you guys this thread was getting boring, now you brought it alive.

reveti
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Watch out jb. There are a bunch of us trashy bad evil tattood and pierced hoodlems on this thread. You may be In danger lol

JB1
03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
i aint scered of you, i'm under my bed with my keyboard.

reveti
03-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Kafer you live in mobile for gods sake.quit acting like you live in the hamptons.I am close enough to you to know the quality of people that town produces. No offense to the fine citizens of mobile but you guys have bigger issues than folks with tattoos over there.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Kafer you live in mobile for gods sake.quit acting like you live in the hamptons.I am close enough to you to know the quality of people that town produces. No offense to the fine citizens of mobile but you guys have bigger issues than folks with tattoos over there.

No one said guys with tatoos were an issue here. They can't find good jobs but that's besides the point.

And any Issues that Mobile has would be minor compared to the surrounding areas. Mobile is in much better shape than any city within a hundred miles or more.

And if you're 65 miles away as you say.... it sure isn't much there. Even the casino towns are in trouble, now that's bad when you're main source of income is "vice" and you're struggling.

And if you're the other way.... Florida is the forclosure capital of the country right now... so bad the mexicans are leaving. Or if you're north of here... well you've no room to talk at all.

reveti
03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey kaf. Never said we didn't have trouble. Our economy is down. Casinos are falling apart. Hell but we are used to it we are the number 1 poorest state in the USA. At least we are #1 at something. I am in ocean springs, Ms on the coast. I am lucky to be in a rich town where I coach youth soccer so I know lotsa people. And they don't discriminate me cause I have tattoos. Lucky to be me.

reveti
03-26-2009, 07:56 PM
And also you say your area doesn't hire folks with tattoos right? Well hell you must be making millions there since you are probably the only "normal" lawn guy there lol

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 08:10 PM
And also you say your area doesn't hire folks with tattoos right? Well hell you must be making millions there since you are probably the only "normal" lawn guy there lol

You'd be way wrong there. I have guys with tatoo's.... please read my posts before commenting on them.

I said if your'e covered in tatoo's or piercings you won't get a high paying job here or anywhere.

There's a big difference in a "job" and a high paying job in a professional field. when young guys do this to their bodies they have little concept of what it may do there chances of ever landing a really good job.

Cutting grass for some LCO is not anyone's path to fame and fortune. you can make good money owning one if you can grow into a decent size company but you'll never do it working for one.

Most all of my summer guys and part timers are college kids, they all have a bright future ahead of them. My full timers are mostly high school grads and dropouts (same as everyone else's)

Rarely to I see one of these college kids with a tatoo when I do it's very small and they usually have to "show it off" for you to even know they have one. They know the score, that first impression on the job interview will make or break you.

sslopok
03-26-2009, 08:17 PM
If people don't think you can get a professional job with tats and piercings they are full of sh!t. I have been a teacher for 8 years and make plenty of money. I have 3 tats and had 3 earrings WHEN HIRED. I got hired in a district that does very well. It is closed minded people who judge someone because of tats/piercings. I teach 3rd grade and have many parent requests each year, so parents thank god are using their head and judge me for the work I do.
Another example is my bro in law has like 8 tats and is a plant manager for a very successful auto plant. He makes around 150k a year. I think it is pathtic when people stand on their make belief pedestals and think they can judge someone.

P.s the all american boy is now wearing tats. Get used to it.

reveti
03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Well said SSlopok

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
If people don't think you can get a professional job with tats and piercings they are full of sh!t. I have been a teacher for 8 years and make plenty of money. I have 3 tats and had 3 earrings WHEN HIRED. I got hired in a district that does very well. It is closed minded people who judge someone because of tats/piercings. I teach 3rd grade and have many parent requests each year, so parents thank god are using their head and judge me for the work I do.
Another example is my bro in law has like 8 tats and is a plant manager for a very successful auto plant. He makes around 150k a year. I think it is pathtic when people stand on their make belief pedestals and think they can judge someone.

P.s the all american boy is now wearing tats. Get used to it.

Ok let me get this straight.. you make plenty of money teaching but you cut grass...

yea I believe you.

sslopok
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
And why do think I am lying? I do not cut grass full time. I haven't even done a mowing job yet. Mich has a while longer to wait. I will be cutting to make some extra money this summer. I don't need extra money, I just want it. What else do I have to do with my 80 days off? Just for the record I make a little over 60k a year and work 180 days. My wife makes 40 dollars an hour doing ultrasounds. We are fine financially. We like nice stuff.

nemow
03-26-2009, 09:25 PM
So fast to play the race card you dont see the irony of discriminating against people with tats and peircings.

Ill stop feeding the troll now. Hope you guys do the same. Odd dude we have here.