PDA

View Full Version : unethical or ethical from another LCO?

Frontier-Lawn
03-23-2009, 11:21 PM
back story first........
a neighbor of 1 of my clients had a guy doing a mulch install, that i quoted @ $4.85 per 3 cf bag (brown Grade a Cypress) installed last week, & i was told it was 2 high.

fast forward to today........
today this guys installing bulk out of his truck bed when i was at my clients house cutting a dead tree out. got 1/2 done and went to the dump, as i was leaving this guy was geting the free ground up yard waste mulch. i head back to get the rest of the cut up tree and he pulls up a while later with the crap mulch. my client tells me he is doing it for $3.35 per cf installed with quality chipped mulch. :laugh:

now for my question, should i tell this lady this guy riped her off by being unethical by getting the lowest grade mulch loaded with weed seeds and other junk and charging her for good stuff?

LouisianaLawnboy
03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Thats a ? you have to answer.

Elite Outdoor
03-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I would just keep it to myself, but if you told the neighbor the news I am sure it would get back to that lady.

tiggazee
That would be a pretty nosey thing to do and make you look like a fool. Just being honest. Let his little deal play out and see how it goes for him. Doing stuff like that will get him nowhere fast. Good luck to you.

driver5
Now thats just bad karma.. any way you look at it

JB1
03-23-2009, 11:51 PM
they'll figure it out.

Frontier-Lawn
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
i have not told anyone yet but here, i just hate seeing people being taken.

meets1
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Let it run its course - the client will find out soon enough and so will blow joe!

Florida Gardener
03-24-2009, 12:58 AM
def. unethical. I agree, sit back and let things happen. They will find out one way or another.

Scagguy
03-24-2009, 01:13 AM
That would be a pretty nosey thing to do and make you look like a fool. Just being honest. Let his little deal play out and see how it goes for him. Doing stuff like that will get him nowhere fast. Good luck to you.

What he said.

Runner
03-24-2009, 03:52 AM
I'm sorry, but I think I would say something. I would probably take a card back to her and tell her when she wants some good HONEST work, let you know. And let her know she may be able to use you if in the event that she has trouble with her shrubs and ornamentals, since this guy is pulling chips off the same pile they dump diseased stuff into.

topsites
03-24-2009, 04:05 AM
now for my question, should i tell this lady this guy riped her off by being unethical by getting the lowest grade mulch loaded with weed seeds and other junk and charging her for good stuff?

Tempting as that might be, the simple answer is no.

Which isn't to say I've never done it :p

But it would be best to let it run its course.

CCC52
03-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Might have been a time I'd have touched it.

If it's worth a few grand and the effort?

Ethics? Holy cow, I was taught what I was lead to believe might be, but it's an ugly, messed up world out there.

Some things are just better left to nature's order...

Your call friend.:)

ALC-GregH
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, but I think I would say something. I would probably take a card back to her and tell her when she wants some good HONEST work, let you know. And let her know she may be able to use you if in the event that she has trouble with her shrubs and ornamentals, since this guy is pulling chips off the same pile they dump diseased stuff into.

I totally agree. If you've met the client, then why wouldn't you let them know that they are being ripped off? Who cares what Joe Blow thinks? Maybe it will make him walk a straight line instead of ripping customers off with junk mulch.

fazzy815-66
03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
hmmmm.....thats a hard one.....I would be pissed! I think the majority on here is right leave it alone,I believe in the long run you will be the one smelling like a rose.

Carolina Cuts
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
crazy.... the difference between unethical and ethical is "Honesty".... in this case you SHOULD be honest (Ethical), but you can't and it's none of your business.... making it almost, UNETHICAL to not be honest.... Ironic, no?

the correct answer is NO, do not be honest with the neighbor. :o)

Like TS says, let it run it's course.....

Karma has a way of catching up....

One of my customers paid $1,800 to have an invisible fence installed in his yard. They buried 500 ft. of wire 3 inches below the surface of the grass and plugged it in. It worked.
I paid $200 for my invisible dog fence kit, ran 1000 feet of wire 8 inches below the surface of the grass, plugged it in. It worked fine. (2 hours labor)

Should I tell my customer I could've done it for $400 and hurt his feelings???? No, I won't do that to him.

Lawn Pawn
03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
You were told she paid X-amount and it was for 100% good mulch.

Being told something and it being true are two different things!! Been there done that telling somebody they got cranked. Not your account, really would not say anything to them.

shovelracer
03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
This may not sit well with you, but he's getting around 90 a yard of that stuff. It probably takes him 2+ hours to pickup and install each yard. He's hardly making anything but it is all labor cost. On the other hand you offered to install for less than it can even be bought around here. You would have been paying them to do the work. It's probably for the best. Now the choice of mulch, it depends. Ive seen some OK product come from the dump, but not too often, depends on the time of year.

ALC-GregH
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
One of my customers paid $1,800 to have an invisible fence installed in his yard. They buried 500 ft. of wire 3 inches below the surface of the grass and plugged it in. It worked.
I paid $200 for my invisible dog fence kit, ran 1000 feet of wire 8 inches below the surface of the grass, plugged it in. It worked fine. (2 hours labor)

Should I tell my customer I could've done it for $400 and hurt his feelings???? No, I won't do that to him.

In this case, no. For the simple fact he used the proper material. Assuming he used the right stuff.

You have to remember, the guy obviously mislead the customer to believe he was getting quality mulch. Then he used junk instead. So I still say the customer has the right to know he was taken advantage of when he had the guy do it.

Green Machine Mowing
03-24-2009, 10:08 AM
law down a bag or two of the good stuff in your clients yard, then the neighbors will go, ahhhhh i see:dizzy: