PDA

View Full Version : to those that have a 36"/48" viking

snapper
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
What rear wheel motor position do you normally run?(highest hole or position is E and it goes e d c b a) How many spacers under the castor hub? How many blade spacers between the spindle and blade do you run? And what cut height does this yield? would really like this info for the 48" but will take either. Just trying to find the optimum setting for me, and thought seeing how others set them up might give me some ideas... So any one willing to count their spacers??

Later!! chris

Roger
03-24-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a 36" Exmark Viking, hydro unit - undoubtedly like the one you are asking about. I can't say for sure what bolting positions are used between the mowing deck and the engine deck. I can check later.

But, I use several combinations of spacers on the caster spindles and spacer washers on the blade bolts. My most common configuration of the blade bolts is two washers on top, two washers underneath. This insures the blade position is just above the skirt of the deck -- if the deck gets across an obstacle, the blades won't get hit. Also, this set up give me the best cut and clipping dispersal. When I need to make a very high cut, say 4" or more, I change and put all spacer washers on top, putting the blade as high under the deck as possible. I have to make this change for a few lawns on my route, so make the change in the field regularly.

As for the caster spacers, I run three different combinations, none of them more than others. The spacing just depends upon what cutting height I need. The lowest cutting requires two spacers above the support arm, two spacers below. But, I also run with three below, one above, and at other times, four spacers below, and one above (the highest cutting position). I know some will object to my procedure, suggesting these caster spacer arrangements mean a different pitch of the deck. That observation is true. But, in my experience, I get no better, no worse, cutting result from any of these settings.

If there is one setting that is less effective than others, it is running the blade bolt washers all on top, putting the blade at the highest position possible under the deck. I believe I get a better cut with the two/two combination discussed above.

I have never changed the bolting position, mower deck to engine deck. It remains positioned just like I brought it home, thirteen years ago.

snapper
03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
anybody else??

Later!! chris

GreenerSide
06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I also have a 36" Exmark Viking and change cutting heights often, but most often run with the 2 spacers above and 2 below on the blade, 1 on top and 3 on bottom on the casters, and have never touched the wheel motor bracket position (mine is set a D, came like that from dealer).

ron mexico75
06-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I have a 2009 36" Metro. From what you explained the set up of your Viking sounds exactly the same as my Metro.

I have 2 above and 2 below on the blades, the axle is set at "D" because it came from the factory like that. I run all 4 spacers on top of the casters and am getting a 3.5 inch cut.

I needed to cut some grass shorter then that so I put all 4 caster spacers below and got about 2.25 or 2.50 inches.

The exmark owners manual has a table in the back that shows cutting height for every single configuration you can think of. If you don't have it you might be able to get it online.

davidcalhoun
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a 48" Viking Hydro. The drive axle it set at bolt "D". The front caster has 4 spacers below the frame arm/bracket. I am not sure on my blade spacers (I believe 2 spacers between blade and spindle). This setup gives me my 3" cut with about a 1/4" blade pitch.

Note: 3" to 3.5" cutting height is the norm in my area. Maybe 2.5" in the late fall and first cut of the spring.

buttaluv
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I also think if your using a bagger the washers on the blades might make a difference in how well it bags.