PDA

View Full Version : Possible new customer asked if I was a business...?

dewos
03-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Of course did the LLC throw her off or think she was stupid!?!?!?!? I mean my professional flier says my business name 2 or 3 times. and its a whole page I don't get it, why would she think I wasn't. She said " are you just someone that is doing this or do you work for a business." She couldn't have read the flier wish I had a copy to show you guys.. It even says insured on it.

The only person That has ever asked me that. giving her an estimate on wednesday.. lol

One man show
03-24-2009, 01:22 AM
??????:confused:

dewos
03-24-2009, 01:27 AM
I was accually offended.. I think she knew I was, just by the tone I had.. :hammerhead::dizzy: :confused:

CCC52
03-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Internet or not "LLC" is new to some people...

They tend to think Inc.. You are so absolultely professional you can have my accounts in lieu of hers.

God bless these honest lawNscrapers! :usflag:

edit to add: I thought this was a joke, the first sentence wasn't.

topsites
03-24-2009, 03:11 AM
I can kind of see where you're coming from...

But if there's one thing I've learned over the years, is that customers will ask some stupid questions. :p
The thing is, to them it's most likely an honest inquiry, why I could not tell you because to us it's a stupid question.

Best thing to do is just answer it, "yes ma'am" would have probably gone over well.

Sammy
03-24-2009, 04:37 AM
On the other hand, just 'cause you say it, don't mean that you are.

Richard Martin
03-24-2009, 05:15 AM
You are so absolultely professional you can have my accounts in lieu of hers.

God bless these honest lawNscrapers! :usflag:

What does this mean?

CCC52
03-24-2009, 05:26 AM
What does this mean?

Sorry man, thought the whole post was a joke. Professional fliers and LLC biz or is that .biz? Old folks aren't so hip to the llc deal and how professional are fliers?

My bad, thought my edit covered that. I'm sure my parents in their 70's would be less than impressed with either the LLC or fliers.

bohiaa
03-24-2009, 07:59 AM
No stupid Questions, Just stupid answers

Richard Martin
03-24-2009, 08:03 AM
No stupid Questions, Just stupid answers

And the beat goes on.....:dizzy:

Richard Martin
03-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Old folks aren't so hip to the llc deal and how professional are fliers?

I've made bushel baskets full of hundred dollar bills from passing out flyers. They're an excellant way to advertise to a very specific target area. I don't want to get calls from neighborhoods that are way out of the way or too upscale.

HOOLIE
03-24-2009, 11:03 AM
When a potential client asks you "Are you a business?" what they really mean is,

"Will you be the guy cutting my grass, or are you gonna send over a truck full of guys that don't speak English and tear in and out of here in 6 minutes?"

kaferhaus
03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
When a potential client asks you "Are you a business?" what they really mean is,

"Will you be the guy cutting my grass, or are you gonna send over a truck full of guys that don't speak English and tear in and out of here in 6 minutes?"

OR they mean they don't want some wannabe or scab on their property. Which is usually the case here. I and the other LCOs have been trying to educate folks for years about the differences.... like if a guy gets hurt while working on their property and has no insurance... or worse his "employee" isn't covered. And the homeowner ends up getting sued.

It's also a very powerful sales tool when fighting "low-ballers".

Most people don't give a damn how long you or your crew is there, it's the results they're after. Most of ours like the fact that we're not making "noise" for very long.

Proc's Lawncare
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
I can believe it! I can't tell you how many times I had people ask me to replace the air in there tires with the appropriate seasons air... I.E. Change the winter air out and put the summer air in (when I was a mechanic...) NOTHING surprises me with the general public! Some people really ARE just stupid!

You can only try to explain yourself and try your best NOT to laugh in there face when a stupid question comes up. Common sense is NOT to common....

grasschopperofchicago
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
How did that saying go on Billy Madison?
I feel dumber just reading this?...hehe!

I don't get the purpose of the thread or why it would even be posted...I thought this was a lawn care site. I didn't know it was designed to VENT about a single customer asking you if you are a business!--
She has every right to ask the question and you as a PROFESSIONAL should have known how to answer it!-in the event you don't here is perhaps another tip that goes along with "Yes Ma'am! from Topsites.

"Yes ma'am I am a registered business with the State of Illinois, and I maintain the proper liability insurance and certificates, permits and licenses required to conduct business as a lawn care professional, did you have any other questions?"

I tell ya, it's easy to see why I get other LCO's business on a yearly basis, you were more worried about your ego and the fact that she didn't take the time to read your flier, you didn't sell her on the idea while BIDDING her property that, hey, if you are going to consider lawn care ...know this!---I am a professional!--she opened the door for you to explain to her the differences between you and the next guy!---and you didn't take advantage of that opening!---LISTEN to the question friend...I am sorry, but someone asks me that I am ALL over answering!---let me tell you what makes me a BUSINESS ma'am!---so when Joe Schmoo comes to bid you can see why you might pay more for me than him!!

GracesLandscaping
03-24-2009, 02:07 PM
you think thats offended you! I think it was two seasons ago i had an ad in the local paper this same time of year, and a lady called me and wanted an estimate so i gave her one and then i gave her my business card an told her to call when she decided and she said "oh your doing this as a business?" So i said yes I have my business liscence and Im completely legal. she says oh well nevermind i was just looking for a young man to take care of my lawn after school or work... so im like WTF!?!?!? im young (probably 20) at the time and i was in college at the time but anyways i just told her i was in college and have mowed lawns since i was 16 but i wanted to do it the legal way and i never heard back from her... although a week or so later i saw a boy that was like 15 on a old murray mowing the lawn and it looked like complete $HIT!

Lawnut101
03-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I would think that she would be a good customer asking that question. It sounds to me like she cares about quality work, and doesn't want an uninsured person mowing her lawn.

grasschopperofchicago
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I would think that she would be a good customer asking that question. It sounds to me like she cares about quality work, and doesn't want an uninsured person mowing her lawn.

Exactly Lawnut!---and IMO she opened the door for a sales pitch to explain the differences between why she should select me versus a guy that is not in business!--but his ego got hurt so chances are ...he spent more time defending himself with the LLC versus stating the obvious!--I would love to go on routes with you guys to see how you handle a bid!-I have a high close rate because I build rapport with them on common ground and then wait for the time to put in the sales pitch....I simply sell myself and my service... and the advantages of using my service...as well as the advantages of using me!

dewos
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Exactly Lawnut!---and IMO she opened the door for a sales pitch to explain the differences between why she should select me versus a guy that is not in business!--but his ego got hurt so chances are ...he spent more time defending himself with the LLC versus stating the obvious!--I would love to go on routes with you guys to see how you handle a bid!-I have a high close rate because I build rapport with them on common ground and then wait for the time to put in the sales pitch....I simply sell myself and my service... and the advantages of using my service...as well as the advantages of using me!

Its not hard to see with the flier that I have that the business that I have is legal and Insured and is actually I business.. I did use this to vent, its not every day I this exceptional dumb of a person... In anyway I put it, it would have defended myself. Yes, I am a Limited Liability Corp. Fully insured... etc etc. said it in a tone I wish I would not have but was caught off guard. I would love to go see you give a bid because I sure you were not always so perfect that you caught everything the first time it happened to you.. OO wait yah your one of the gifted people right that never messes up I am sorry..

Sorry guys he's to good for this site and everyone on here because his close rates so high.. Or maybe just because your prices are so low one or the other.. I am going with Low prices. I am one year away from a degree in marketing lol, but i bet you sell yourself soo nice..? Do you do in a suit?

dewos
03-24-2009, 06:57 PM

O wait your new this year thats why your soo good sorry.

topsites
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I can believe it! I can't tell you how many times I had people ask me to replace the air in there tires with the appropriate seasons air... I.E. Change the winter air out and put the summer air in (when I was a mechanic...) NOTHING surprises me with the general public! Some people really ARE just stupid!

You know, it's not always easy because I about like to get all frustrated, too.

But if you have any sense of humor at all, the following, done with a straight face?

"Yes ma'am" or "sir" or just go "okay" and then deflate their car's tires and re-inflate the whole lot,
all the while look like you know exactly what you are doing, make sure to use at least a tire pressure gauge
and maybe even some blinky electronic device (say like a dwell meter if you can make it flash light)
and look like what you are doing is very important so then after it is done you just tell the customer their car is ready.

It really is too funny, just don't laugh right then and there, keep a straight face.

I pull some crap like that in the yard maintenance business and I about have to pull over the side of the road afterwards I am
laughing so hard, about makes me feel sorry for the customer, but I say they did ask, yes, they sure did.

And it ain't right lol, but sometimes I just have to, it seems to help.

grasschopperofchicago
03-25-2009, 01:15 AM
O wait your new this year thats why your soo good sorry.

and yet you still defend yourself!!---new to site, not new to the business, however you seem to have an ego problem...when you get over that ....you will in fact see a return on your investment...talk to me when you realize you are ready to become a professional and not a lawn boy with you flier

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-25-2009, 01:57 AM
MAybe it will be a hot blonde...

dewos
03-25-2009, 02:13 AM
and yet you still defend yourself!!---new to site, not new to the business, however you seem to have an ego problem...when you get over that ....you will in fact see a return on your investment...talk to me when you realize you are ready to become a professional and not a lawn boy with you flier

About grasschopperofchicago
Years in business
New
Biography
New Start up this year
How did you find LawnSite.com?
other sites
Interests
MONEY

hmmm maybe you should look at your own profile.. your getting a little a head of yourself.. What did your business gross last year and what did you net..? Since your so successful.. I just don't get it why you think I have the ego problem.. your the only one stating how you get the business and you don't make mistakes.. Not like I blew this one out of proportion just got annoyed with how dumb the question was.

Your the one with the profile saying new the the business and then stating on here that this is why you get all the LCO's customers... I mean seems like your a little mixed up if you ask me.. READ YOUR PROFILE

Why wouldn't i defend myself?!?!

One man show
03-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Your profile does say you are a newb? Either way newb or not, you have to come correct with your questions or you will be eaten up! This site is filled with professionals.:weightlifter:

Sammy
03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
How did that saying go on Billy Madison?
I feel dumber just reading this?...hehe!

I don't get the purpose of the thread or why it would even be posted...I thought this was a lawn care site. I didn't know it was designed to VENT about a single customer asking you if you are a business!--
She has every right to ask the question and you as a PROFESSIONAL should have known how to answer it!-in the event you don't here is perhaps another tip that goes along with "Yes Ma'am! from Topsites.

"Yes ma'am I am a registered business with the State of Illinois, and I maintain the proper liability insurance and certificates, permits and licenses required to conduct business as a lawn care professional, did you have any other questions?"

I tell ya, it's easy to see why I get other LCO's business on a yearly basis, you were more worried about your ego and the fact that she didn't take the time to read your flier, you didn't sell her on the idea while BIDDING her property that, hey, if you are going to consider lawn care ...know this!---I am a professional!--she opened the door for you to explain to her the differences between you and the next guy!---and you didn't take advantage of that opening!---LISTEN to the question friend...I am sorry, but someone asks me that I am ALL over answering!---let me tell you what makes me a BUSINESS ma'am!---so when Joe Schmoo comes to bid you can see why you might pay more for me than him!!

Good points.

van Oss landscapes
03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
At least she asked and made sure...
Better than her blindly hiring some, mow and blow, craigslist, week-end warrior.

And yes, there are stupid questions

M and S Lawn Care
03-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Dewos, how old are you? You seem to be getting pretty bent out of shape over this. I have people ask this all the time. I tell them that we're been in business for 6 years, we'll fully insured, etc etc.

I dont know why you'd be "caught off guard" with this. Just tell them, get rid of the ego.

grasschopperofchicago
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Dewos, how old are you? You seem to be getting pretty bent out of shape over this. I have people ask this all the time. I tell them that we're been in business for 6 years, we'll fully insured, etc etc.

I dont know why you'd be "caught off guard" with this. Just tell them, get rid of the ego.

Okay so it wasn't just me that noticed that!

grasschopperofchicago
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
About grasschopperofchicago
Years in business
New
Biography
New Start up this year
How did you find LawnSite.com?
other sites
Interests
MONEY

hmmm maybe you should look at your own profile.. your getting a little a head of yourself.. What did your business gross last year and what did you net..? Since your so successful.. I just don't get it why you think I have the ego problem.. your the only one stating how you get the business and you don't make mistakes.. Not like I blew this one out of proportion just got annoyed with how dumb the question was.

Your the one with the profile saying new the the business and then stating on here that this is why you get all the LCO's customers... I mean seems like your a little mixed up if you ask me.. READ YOUR PROFILE

Why wouldn't i defend myself?!?!

I handled my profile for you dewos, purpose was to not be asked a lot of questions by newbies...as far as my yearly gross/net, if you are resourceful, you will find that it has been discussed in another thread in regards to another topic.

dewos
03-25-2009, 01:22 PM

been in business 6 years going on 7, 22 years old. Never had someone ask such a weird question.. No ego just wasn't prepared... did you ever wonder why people ask you this all the time?

dewos
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
OK lets clear this up.. Its not like I ever had someone call me up and ask if I was a business.. I send out postcards and fliers all done by vistaprint.. I mean it looks professional (in my opinion).. So when she said it I was not ready.. I mean the head line is my business in 24 inch font and bold... So I was prob not the nicest with my response and when I met her today I apologized to her for the way I acted and explained that I was actually not ready for the question..

I was not trying to get on anyones bad side or have an ego.. Just wasn't ready for it and was kind of offended that she thought my flier was un-professional.. Thats how I took it at first.. Was just blowing off some steam on here when someone said the wrong comment that mad this thread have to be bigger then it was..

So I apologize

P.S booked the job 5168.03 after taxes

grasschopperofchicago
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
OK lets clear this up.. Its not like I ever had someone call me up and ask if I was a business.. I send out postcards and fliers all done by vistaprint.. I mean it looks professional (in my opinion).. So when she said it I was not ready.. I mean the head line is my business in 24 inch font and bold... So I was prob not the nicest with my response and when I met her today I apologized to her for the way I acted and explained that I was actually not ready for the question..

I was not trying to get on anyones bad side or have an ego.. Just wasn't ready for it and was kind of offended that she thought my flier was un-professional.. Thats how I took it at first.. Was just blowing off some steam on here when someone said the wrong comment that mad this thread have to be bigger then it was..

So I apologize

P.S booked the job 5168.03 after taxes

I have to ask...if and in fact you did book this job based on what you are stating this is approx a 30 week season, you are pretax at $4750.50 or $162.50 per cut...and you would be offended about her asking if you were a company?...Or caught offguard? Wow...again...I leave the thread confused!---by the way...at 22 it is tough to have 7 years in business...FYI

dewos
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
I have to ask...if and in fact you did book this job based on what you are stating this is approx a 30 week season, you are pretax at $4750.50 or $162.50 per cut...and you would be offended about her asking if you were a company?...Or caught offguard? Wow...again...I leave the thread confused!---by the way...at 22 it is tough to have 7 years in business...FYI

It was landscaping job not mowing.. I hope you do more then just mowing.. Limestone 2b rock you know what that is right? Edging, Small Mulch area Brown, and yard clean up 28 tons of rock. Didn't know I was going to be interrogated... Thanks for caring so much tho..

Ohh 22 started when I was 16 not hard many people do it earlier..
A truck and a mower is how I started..

grasschopperofchicago
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
It was landscaping job not mowing.. I hope you do more then just mowing.. Limestone 2b rock you know what that is right? Edging, Small Mulch area Brown, and yard clean up 28 tons of rock. Didn't know I was going to be interrogated... Thanks for caring so much tho..

Ohh 22 started when I was 16 not hard many people do it earlier..
A truck and a mower is how I started..

Mowing only friend...130+ accounts, no time for anything else
Blown Mulch and Cuts/Turf-Lot cleanup
Running fleet of trucks plowing as well...