PDA

View Full Version : Trailer VIN number...?

dewos
03-24-2009, 02:37 AM
I am using one of my old trailers this year but transfered the plate to the newer trailer.. well I can not find the Title for the Trailer and need one to get a plate.. contacted the people at DMV & Messenger service and they told me I need The VIN on the trailer...

I can not find this thing anywhere.. They told me to look by the front.. I looked everywhere can not find this thing for the life of me lol.. Where to go from here? or any idea's where to look

unkownfl
03-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Say it is homemade. Get it weighed, and be done at least we can do that here in Florida.

topsites
03-24-2009, 03:45 AM
Well, gosh...
Wasn't this newer trailer ever registered?
If so, a personal visit to the DMV might be required, but they should release the VIN to you,
I think you have to apply for a duplicate registration (lost / stolen).

Try telling them the little plate with the VIN might have fell off because you just can't find it.
You may have to go to a different DMV :p
I am not kidding, some days the only difference between a failed or a successful transaction depends
on the kind of day the person behind the counter is having, and it ain't right but what can you do.

If you never registered it, that can get tricky.
The last registered owner of that trailer has to do it.

cantoo
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Some trailer manufacturers also put the vin number on the inside of the trailer frame just behind the front left corner. Crawl underneath and see if you can see it. They wled the number on for id purposes incase of theft.
We can plate ours as homebuilt here in Ontario. I build trailers in my spare time and have no problem getting plates.

dewos
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, gosh...
Wasn't this newer trailer ever registered?
If so, a personal visit to the DMV might be required, but they should release the VIN to you,
I think you have to apply for a duplicate registration (lost / stolen).

Try telling them the little plate with the VIN might have fell off because you just can't find it.
You may have to go to a different DMV :p
I am not kidding, some days the only difference between a failed or a successful transaction depends
on the kind of day the person behind the counter is having, and it ain't right but what can you do.

If you never registered it, that can get tricky.
The last registered owner of that trailer has to do it.

Thanks man thats what I will do tomorrow.. I will go down and see if I can file for a lost one.. It was registered about 3 years ago.. starting another crew up and figured they can use the small one for time being.. just been sitting there .

ALC-GregH
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I was going to transfer the tag off my small trailer to my larger trailer and was told you can't transfer trailer tags. I told the lady I was going to sell the other trailer and she then said I'd have to return the tag and get a new tag! On top of all that, they claim I had to pay tax. I showed her the receipt that it was new and I already paid tax. Then she said, oh, that's just sales tax, you have to pay excise tax! They get you coming AND going. I hate dealing with the DMV.

White Gardens
03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Say it is homemade. Get it weighed, and be done at least we can do that here in Florida.

Ditto, you can do that here in IL. The DMV doesn't really care either. When I titled my trailer, we couldn't find the old one and the lady just gave me home made plates.

Saved a lot of time and headache.