PDA

View Full Version : Reel Mower

hmartin
03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Does anyone know of a reputable dealer that sales and services reel mowers in Memphis, TN? I am interested in Tru-cut, Mclane, or Trimmer that is about 25".

jasonlandscape
03-25-2009, 12:46 AM
come down to ga, metro atlanta area

go to http://www.reelmowers.net/sales.php4

they have really nice mowers...they just came out witha 25" legacy

they have a 30" legacy which is a really stout mower. waaaayyyy better than tru-cut

hmartin
03-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have never used a reel mower before and don't know of anybody using one in my immediate area. I want to cut my lawn and 1 other person's with the reel mower. I feel like I can handle the backlapping and blade adjustments but don't want to delve into reel mowers if there isn't a reputable dealer within an hour drive of my home.

My lawn is a little over an acre, so I probably wouldn't use the reel mower for the whole lot.

How fast does a single gang reel mower travel in comparison to a 21" mower? I don't like seeing the tire tracks of a 21" mower in my bermuda, and my JD 757 60" cuts nice but 1.75" is about a low as it will go.

Does anyone know if a Exmark Turf Tracer 36" WB (or other WB) will cut bermuda to around 1.25" and give a nice cut?

I am also looking at a Exmark Laser AS 48". I believe that it is supposed to be able to cut down to 1". The deck is about the same width as the wheels, so it should be able to cut low and handle some small surface variations without scalping.

MnDLawn
03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't mean to sound stupid or hijack the thread, but what are the pros of a reel mower? My grandfather used one but thats the only experience I have ever had with one.

jasonlandscape
03-26-2009, 11:47 PM
A REEL Type mower is the Real way to cut grass. It actually cuts the grass rather than chopping the grass. With a rotary mower u only have one blade that does the cutting.
With a reel mower you actually have 2 cutting blades, kinda like a pair of scissors...you are actually cutting each blade of grass instead of chopping or ripping the grass.

A reel mower also trains the grass to grow sideways instead of vertically. Therefore making the grass very thick and short like carpet.

reel mowed lawns need to be sanded. You also have to cut it about ever 5 days

I am actually buying a reel type mower tomoro. It is a trimmer brand 25" with a roller. The roller also helps in making a very level cut.

here is a lawn i maintained last year with a reel type mower at about a little under 1"...you have to get on ur hands and knees and spread the grass apart to see the dirt
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/krazydher/WaterScapes%20By%20Jason/n1113570002_17754_8818.jpg

The Elements Group
03-27-2009, 12:10 AM
reel mowing is like cutting your grass with scissors compared to a rotary (which is like a machette) i dont recommend you handle the back lapping and sharpening i fyou have never used a rel mower.....Call dan at keystone rental and tell him Matt sent ya

hmartin
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I guess the reel mower thread aren't doing to well on Lawnsite. Does anyone know a reel mower dealer in Memphis?

I bought the 09 Laser AS 48". It does a wonderful job cutting smaller bermuda lawns but doesn't handle half as good as a JD 757.

Is there a forum where reel mowers are frequently discussed?

jasonlandscape
04-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I guess the reel mower thread aren't doing to well on Lawnsite. Does anyone know a reel mower dealer in Memphis?

I bought the 09 Laser AS 48". It does a wonderful job cutting smaller bermuda lawns but doesn't handle half as good as a JD 757.

Is there a forum where reel mowers are frequently discussed?

yeah they don't talk about reel mowing that often here. And i have been looking for a reel mowing forum but can't find one.

i think the reel mowing industry only cover about 10-15 % of all mowing.

RTR Landscaping
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
The best dealer in Memphis is Mid South Small Engines. He sells Scag and Walker but I don't think he has any reel type mowers. You can reach them at 901-794-6400. The only other would be the Toro and Jacobsen golf greens mowers which are very very expensive.

The Elements Group
04-04-2009, 05:47 PM
wo adjusting the hieght quickly as the season progresses...what type of reel mower are you looking for, i use tru-cut due to adjusting the hieght as the season progresses... good luck

jasonlandscape
04-04-2009, 09:17 PM
The best dealer in Memphis is Mid South Small Engines. He sells Scag and Walker but I don't think he has any reel type mowers. You can reach them at 901-794-6400. The only other would be the Toro and Jacobsen golf greens mowers which are very very expensive.

yeah those are like 8 grand brand new...plus i don't think they go over an inch.

hmartin
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I heard that Mid South Small Engines was very good with Walker mowers. I'll ask them.

fl-landscapes
04-05-2009, 05:06 PM
come down to ga, metro atlanta area

go to http://www.reelmowers.net/sales.php4

they have really nice mowers...they just came out witha 25" legacy

they have a 30" legacy which is a really stout mower. waaaayyyy better than tru-cut

That is a really good looking mower. Been thinking about adding a reel mower to take care of bermuda lawns we hydroseed. What price range are we looking at for the 30" or 25" heavy duty?

derby
07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm looking to replace my current reel mower. I want a higher cut. Fiskars has the right idea by offering up to 4 inch cut. I would like to go with a McLane 17 inch, 7 blade push mower. It is set to cut up to 2 1/2 inches high. The manual offered online suggests for "Exceptionally high cutting may be done by adjusting rear wheels. Adjusting brackets are adjusted to keep wheel travel to a minimum." They then describe how to move the height adjustment brackets down, by first removing the sprocket etc. It doesn't sound very complicated.

My question is this: does moving the adjustment bracket then give you the 2 1/2 inch height, or does it give you additional height, perhaps 3 inches? I called McLane last week and the fellow I spoke to wasn't very helpful in this regard. Seems that, understandably, it's used for lower heights, as are most reel mowers.

Does anyone know about this "Exceptionally high cutting adjustment"?

unkownfl
07-11-2010, 04:53 PM
yeah they don't talk about reel mowing that often here. And i have been looking for a reel mowing forum but can't find one.

i think the reel mowing industry only cover about 10-15 % of all mowing.

Have you checked out the superintendent site and sports field site on here?

frotis
07-11-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEi4eTnHdI

poncho62
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiGm8IwOhVY

poncho62
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Here is my old National....dont use it much

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Poncho62/National/National9022Medium.jpg