PDA

View Full Version : lawn rolling

minix
03-24-2009, 09:40 AM
How do you price lawn rolling and what is the best way to roll a lawn?

minix
03-24-2009, 06:44 PM
nobody rolls?

RLS24
03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't really advertise it, but I'll do it if a customer asks or offer if a lawn is predominantly bumpy. Charge by the hour. you'll have to determine how long it will take you.

grandview (2006)
03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Same way as lawn cutting. In my area it starts around 50 bucks. Best way depends on the yard. Some do a half overlap ,some will do the whole lawn one way then go over it the other way. What size roller you using?

ExtExc
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.beginner-gardening.com/lawnrolling.html

this guy makes good points... but i would think you could roll out the bumps, then aerate to counter the compaction?

Runner
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
It's true that rolling is NOT real healthy for the lawn, as it promotes compacting (to a certain degree). However, on many lawns that end up lumpy from either ground heaving, or more commonly ants or in our case here, worm castings, the benefit of actually rolling these rough areas out outweigh the cons of the compaction. Now,...ultimately? A good rolling and an aeration afterward is the best remedy. Also, mind you...many times, a good aeration itself can help relieve much of this lumpiness and rough ground.
I remember some years ago,...I had a neighbor that had a real rough yard (I mean REAL rough). It was one of these cases where it would have been practicle to bring in topsoil and fill in these areas woven I around all these lumps and clumps. Just as an experiment on a Saturday afternoon, I aerated the heck out of it (chopped up well), rolled it out, and quickly aerated again, and gave it a few good feedings over the next few months. He commented every time I saw him - all summer long about how smooth his lawn was and how nice it was to mow.

hackitdown
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I think lawn rolling was a big thing when my dad cared about his lawn. I have never had a customer ask for it.

However, I roll new seed into loose topsoil.

LewisLawn
03-26-2009, 10:57 AM
i've rolled lawns for several years all on customers requests charge a rate similar to waht i would charge to mow...recently bought a tow behind plug aerator and would recommend aerating after rolling...i give the customer an explanation of the benefits of each and a "special" price if i do both...some choose just aeration only though...

i found that spring is best for rolling and aeration can be done at anytime the grass is actively growing