PDA

View Full Version : newbie ?

hammer66
03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
hi new guy here,thinking of doing grass mowing just got layed off from my job and i need work.i have a homelite sraight shaft trimmer and a homelight hand leaf blower and a 48 scag. no trailer should i put sideboards on my f-150 and get a ramp kit to drive the scag in my truck? what am i gonna do with the leaves and debris?

mikewhit1010
03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Well my only advice for you is get rid of the homelite equipment. Also make sure you charge enough for each thing you do or you will be a laid off guy that is working for free.

hammer66
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
thats it even though the homlite is equiped with a walbro wa-55

mikewhit1010
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Man Homelite stuff sucks. Trust me. They are built to last 3 years on your home only. So that is maybe 90 times used if that. Think about if you had 10 accounts that is a total of 300 times a year. That means you will need to buy 3 of them. Does that make sense.

bengalman
03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
homelite did not get through a summer with me when I did only my house.You dont have to buy the best but if you start doing 10 to 15 lawns a day the cheap wont last.also get some good ramps if your going to hall the mower in the bed trust me I had a 48" scag and just boards coming off the tail gate. Well the board came off the gate when the mower was on it not a good feeling

mikewhit1010
03-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I went threw a few ramps until I found ones that worked. They are the steel curved ramps that you can get at home depot. They are $150 for them but trust me they will work better then anything else. And yes boards, crappy ramps, etc willl fall off. These ramps will give you the best chance. Here is a run down of homelite.
Homelite blower - $75 will last you maybe 20 times with poor blowing quality
Echo blower - $160 will last you atleast 2 seasons mine has
Homelite trimmer - $75 wont last you long at all
Echo trimmer - $160 going on 3 seasons

This is assuming you dont want to shell out for commercial equipment. I have since upgraded but I started with homelite thinking I was getting a good deal and starting cheap. Man how I wish I would have just purchased anything else.