PDA

View Full Version : Weedcloth and plants that spread

mowinginva
03-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Was wondering how it works or if it works to plant spreading plants such as iris, day lillies, etc. Where weedcloth is installed.

openbook
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't really care for fabric, I will install it if that's what I'm told to do. It might work for the first year or two but once mulch starts to decompose weeds and plants can just grow on top of it.

Kate Butler
03-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't really care for fabric, I will install it if that's what I'm told to do. It might work for the first year or two but once mulch starts to decompose weeds and plants can just grow on top of it.

Not only that, but as the plants spread, they will come up UNDER the weedbarrier and look like S#@T. A short-term solution is to cut your planting hole with scissors (in a circle) and then make 4 equidistant cuts radiating out from the perimeter of the circle. The increasing plants will push the looser (cut) fabric out of the way for a year or so - still not a real solution.

No matter how you handle it, mulch on top of weed barrier only will look good for a year or two, unless you use chemical controls.

betmr
03-25-2009, 01:09 PM

I do not care to use Landscape fabric, it keeps the decomposed mulch from mixing w/ the soil. in many instances it girdles tree truncks, stressing the plant. It is no good for speading plants as the rizomes cannot come through.

Use the right amount of mulch, about 3" and spot treat or pull weeds as they come up. NO!! "Mulch Volcanoes" around those tree trunks, just smooth it out around the collar ( where roots meet trunk) To high up trunk= Crown Rot.

On the University site where I work, I am on a crucade to remove all the fabric. The mulch stays put on slopes better, and when it has rotted it now becomes organic nutrient. I DO only use it under Stone and Gravel.

Hope this helps

yardatwork
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I use fabric on all of my new installs. I can't get my clients to pull their own weeds or spray the weeds...and...they don't want to pay me to do maint. work on the beds. No, the fabric isn't a perfect solution and people don't understand when the mulch decomposes and weeds start to grow in the mulch, but this is a better solution than scalping the sod and having a weed garden! If people want a day lilly, iris, etc...then we do that area without fabric.

mowinginva
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone. That helps.