PDA

View Full Version : has the price of blades went up ??

terryswafford
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
i just called my local dealer to get a price on blades for my 52 inch country clipper. The blades that I called about are just the standard high lift blades that comes on the mower. After being on hold for about ten minutes the lady came back and said 27 dollars a blade. I asked if she was sure that was right and she said yes. Have blades went up that much since last year. Anyone know of a cheaper place on line that I can order them from? blade size is 18 1/8 x 1/2. Thanks

topsites
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Hang on a minute, I'm still chewing on "$5 lawn mows"
but I can tell you that's probably normal dealer price
although I have to admit I am a bit shocked, too.

kaferhaus
03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I just made a post a few days ago.... dealer asked why I wasn't buying as many "consumables" from him as in the past. Told him the facts of life.... I don't mind paying a little more to buy from him, but when I can buy the exact same items delivered to my shop at 20-30% and sometimes even higher savings (and no sales tax), I'd be a pretty stupid businessman to be buying it from him.

We use Oregon mower blades (not saying they're the best, certainly not the cheapest but we get very good life out of them and they perform well) I buy six sets at a time and with shipping they're 35% less expensive. Edger blades I buy 2 cases at a time (100 blades).... this is a heavy shipment, still save 25%.

I really like my dealer and he knows it. However, business is business and while I'd like to spend every nickel with him It'd be stupid. I like money just as well as he does and I didn't get this far by giving it away. Even the small things add up over a year. The few of you guys that really have a handle on every nickle you spend and you're spending most of it over the counter.... takes only a minute to figure out how much more money would be in YOUR pocket at the end of the year.

Now if you're a "solo" and aren't spending that much to begin with, it may not be such an issue. But when at the end of the year the difference is several thousand dollars....hell that's a new machine or part of a new truck, or a family vacation.

Grits
03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds high to me. Most blades at my dealer aren't over $15 each. Now, if the blades you priced were "Country Clipper" brand, then they will be higher than an aftermarket brand. Funny thing is, there are only a few blade manufacturers in the U.S. It doesn't matter who's name is stamped into the blade, they are more than likely the same blade. Buy aftermarket, Oregon is one company that makes blades in the aftermarket and for the mower manufacturers. Ask your dealer for a price on Oregon brand blades.

scagmower
03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
well just bought blades last wk, and each blade was up 3 dollars from last yr, but i know 27 dollars a blade is high!!!!! i think i paid around 19 dollars a blade

vinny69
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
order after market parts from the stens book,much cheaper on most parts:canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:

Richard Martin
03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Here you go. $11.32 plus shipping. From our fine sponsor Mowpart.com

http://www.mowpart.com/Blades-Country-Clipper/c1015_1029/p4328/18-3/8%22-Standard-Replacement-Blade-(Click-for-Compatibility)/product_info.html

tallimeca
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
yes, bladeshave gone up by alot in the past two years.

However.....blade prices are all over the place.

I can sell a set of 36" exmark blades , oem from exmark, for less money then my retail price on aftermark scag blades.

Ariens oem 21" blade is like 25 bucks. A 26" exmark metro blade sells for like 18.

Blades are always weird.

The problem with ordering blades on line is the freight because of the weight.