PDA

View Full Version : Rescheduling after rainy day?

All Seasons Landscaping
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
So, if you have a day with very heavy rain, to the point where you can't go out and mow, how do you handle the rescheduling? Do you push everyone back a day, or do you take the accounts from that day, push them to Saturday, and mow everyone else on their scheduled days?

Both seem to have advantages and disadvantages. By moving everyone back, you don't hit anyone on their scheduled day, and that could lead to some upset customers. But, if you just push that one day to the end of the week, it ends up being too long since the previous mow, and only a few days until the next mow.

So I'm thinking just bump everyone back a day?

kaferhaus
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
We don't move anyone. I pull a commercial crew or two and they run the makeup route with one guy from that residential crew (normally does those accounts) to make sure they don't miss anything. Pull one guy from the commercial crew to make up for the lost guy in the residential crew.

Comercials are easier to catch up (for us, may not be for you as most of our business is commercial) and they're more understanding of "rain delays" than most of the residentials are.

Also all the commercials are on contracts, the contracts address rain/inclement weather situations. Residential contracts here are rare.

fazzy815-66
03-24-2009, 12:17 PM
We push them back a day.When our customers sign up they are educated on how the service works,so they understand rain delay. I very rarely get a call from our customers about being"off schedule" the better you communicate with your customers the more they understand.Also I don't overschedule the amount of work we can do in a day (Leaving room for rain days). Normally we catch up by the end of the week or we work Sat.(Saturday is considered a rain make-up day)

Lawnut101
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
There are a few ways you can go about it. Usually I just work my butt off the next day. But I don't have a full schedule yet. If I did, then I would probably just work a really long day or two.

ALC-GregH
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
We push them back a day.When our customers sign up they are educated on how the service works,so they understand rain delay. I very rarely get a call from our customers about being"off schedule" the better you communicate with your customers the more they understand.Also I don't overschedule the amount of work we can do in a day (Leaving room for rain days). Normally we catch up by the end of the week or we work Sat.(Saturday is considered a rain make-up day)

This is what I normally do. I try to only work 5-6hrs a day 3-4 days a week. If it rains, I have time in the next day to get most I missed due to rain and finish the rest from that day the next day. Or move them all to a open day. A lot of my customers know that their lawn CAN't be cut when wet. Some hills you just can't go up or down when wet and they know this already. Kinda makes it easy for me.

jpp
03-24-2009, 06:29 PM
We push back a day as well. What we do as well, is go ahead and move onto to the next route after we get done with the route that was to be done the day before. We do as much as we want off the second route and then call it a day. A couple of times we have done 2 routes in one day to get back on track. Makes for a long day but am glad that it is done when we finish.

JP

Woody82986
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I push it back as well. Instead of starting at 8am, I will start at 7:30 or earlier if I can get away with it on some rural properties and I'll work an hour or two later. Instead of taking a break for lunch I will work through lunch and eat in the truck and I ensure I have enough gas to take care of everything that day so I don't have to burn 10 minutes refueling. I can normally bust my ass and catch completely up in one day.