PDA

View Full Version : Deep rooted bushes/trees?

pitrack
03-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey guys any ideas on good bushes or trees that can hold on a slope well? They will get a lot of sun. Any bushes or trees that take hold fast and have a strong rooting system. Can't be too tall, less than 25' if possible. Thanks

Kate Butler
03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Lilacs - many are suckering and spread quickly.

pitrack
03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Lilacs - many are suckering and spread quickly.

Thank you, I am assuming those would be good for a ground covering, any advice on what I could use for bushes or trees? Then fill in around with lilacs?

ALC-GregH
03-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I need some advice on planting 2 cherry trees on a fairly steep slop. The red maple is on flat ground so thats a given. what would the best way to go about the cherries? How deep should I place the root ball? I'm thinking it needs to be fairly deep to allow it to take on and not grow out of the dirt. I'd say it's about a 30+ degree slope. I'll be mulching them when finished and staking them in place. thanks for any advice you can send my way. Also, is there a palnt food for trees that I should add when finished?

Kate Butler
03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Thank you, I am assuming those would be good for a ground covering, any advice on what I could use for bushes or trees? Then fill in around with lilacs?

Lilacs can grow up to 25'; Japanese tree lilacs to 40'. All tend to be multi-stemmed. Standard lilacs (Syringa vulgaris & hybrids) sucker from the roots. It is possible to use them as a very tall groundcover if you plant clumps 10' apart. Or plant smaller pieces in clumps a couple of feet apart.

Tree lilacs (Syringa reticulata) spread more by seeds (very prolifically) and, if surrounded by bare dirt, make a thicket of plants in 3 years. Seedlings generally take 5 or more years to bloom, but they grow quickly.

Tree lilacs bloom quite late (the last of the lilacs to bloom) and are always cream-colored. Many colors are available in the other sort of lilacs and there is an intermediate form of vulgaris called French lilacs that bloom midway between the early (vulgaris) and the late (reticulata).

Forsythia looks well with lilacs, and (for late color) Hydrangea paniculata 'tardiva' is stunning, as are many of the other sorts of hydrangeas. Viburnums (if you don't have the beetle in your area) give lovely early flowers followed by red fruits attractive to wildlife. Elderberry (Sambucus varieties) also have nice flowers and late fruit.

The cutleaf Rhus (laciniata) is a nicer form of the native sumac (not the poison kind, please). Sassafras (Sassafras albidum) is stoloniferous and native with very attractive leaves. It's an understory tree so may require more shade than your site offers.

'Canada Red' chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) is another native that has green leaves and white flowers early in the season; with the leaves rapidly turning burgundy red by midsummer. Also has fruit for the critters.

pitrack
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Lilacs can grow up to 25'; Japanese tree lilacs to 40'. All tend to be multi-stemmed. Standard lilacs (Syringa vulgaris & hybrids) sucker from the roots. It is possible to use them as a very tall groundcover if you plant clumps 10' apart. Or plant smaller pieces in clumps a couple of feet apart.

Tree lilacs (Syringa reticulata) spread more by seeds (very prolifically) and, if surrounded by bare dirt, make a thicket of plants in 3 years. Seedlings generally take 5 or more years to bloom, but they grow quickly.

Tree lilacs bloom quite late (the last of the lilacs to bloom) and are always cream-colored. Many colors are available in the other sort of lilacs and there is an intermediate form of vulgaris called French lilacs that bloom midway between the early (vulgaris) and the late (reticulata).

Forsythia looks well with lilacs, and (for late color) Hydrangea paniculata 'tardiva' is stunning, as are many of the other sorts of hydrangeas. Viburnums (if you don't have the beetle in your area) give lovely early flowers followed by red fruits attractive to wildlife. Elderberry (Sambucus varieties) also have nice flowers and late fruit.

The cutleaf Rhus (laciniata) is a nicer form of the native sumac (not the poison kind, please). Sassafras (Sassafras albidum) is stoloniferous and native with very attractive leaves. It's an understory tree so may require more shade than your site offers.

'Canada Red' chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) is another native that has green leaves and white flowers early in the season; with the leaves rapidly turning burgundy red by midsummer. Also has fruit for the critters.

Thank you for the extensive information. I have come across a couple of them, and will look at the others.
Thanks!

Marcos
03-25-2009, 01:17 AM
If you're in the right part of the country for their hardiness, mimosa trees will take off and establish an awesome root system.

Here in s.w. Ohio, we seem to be at just the right latitute where mimosas are "balanced", and don't seem to want to invade adjacent landscapes.
A couple hundred miles south of here, a whole different story; they'll spread like wildfire & take over everything. :cry:
An hour's drive north of here, they can't hardly survive at all.