PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with spring-fed pond

tallguylehigh
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
This is all coming from a homeowners perspective, so if I come across as clueless or uninformed, I apologize.

In my back yard my neighbors and I share share a pond thats about 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre. The pond is natural and is springfed, yet due to its low elevation with respect to the land around it, it sees very little wind. We treat the pond yearly and overall the water quality is good.

However, a couple of times in the summer we do experience come algae blooms and experience some mosquitos.

I am floating the idea of installing either a fountain or aerator to the pond to improve circulation in hoped of reducing the above problems, if either of these would reduce the problems.

I think an aerator is the best way to go, but given that the bottom of the pond isnt flat, is this still the way to go?

Also, without knowing the depth of the pond, does anyone have any idea how much something like this might cost to purchase/install/maintain? Who would install such a device?

I already sent away for a catalog of some products recommended in this forum, but wanted to get a feel as to how big of a project this might be.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

:)

tadpole
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
You will need to know the maximum depth. Aeration is best; or a bottom draw fountain will help if you want visuals. For mosquito control add some Gambusa (Mosquito fish). Your county extension office should be able to give you a source. Some counties supply them for free. To get true expert advice contact Aquatic Eco-systems (aquaticeco.com). Your county agent can also help you in finding an installer.

XStream Aquatics
03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Tallguy I know an installer in Paramus NJ . I'll contact him for you if you would like.

Fishwhiz
06-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Herein is the crux of the problem, you "hope" aeration will fix your troubles. How do you know oxygen levels are even the culprit? Forethought is a wonderful investment, yet people seem so prone to "buy something" to fix their problem.

It might cost a hundred bucks for a pond manager to come out, get an oxygen profile of the pond and tell you if you even have an oxygen problem. Getting a couple algae blooms through summer in no way indicates oxygen is even an issue.

I'm pretty sure anyone will be happy to sell a $1,000 aeration system to you whether you need it or not. The power company will likely be happy to charge you $50/month for the electricity too.

By the way, have you seen mosquito larvae in the pond or is that an assumption? If you have any predatory insects in the pond, it is unlikely mosquitoes are coming from the pond proper.

tallguylehigh
07-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Herein is the crux of the problem, you "hope" aeration will fix your troubles. How do you know oxygen levels are even the culprit? Forethought is a wonderful investment, yet people seem so prone to "buy something" to fix their problem.

It might cost a hundred bucks for a pond manager to come out, get an oxygen profile of the pond and tell you if you even have an oxygen problem. Getting a couple algae blooms through summer in no way indicates oxygen is even an issue.

I'm pretty sure anyone will be happy to sell a $1,000 aeration system to you whether you need it or not. The power company will likely be happy to charge you $50/month for the electricity too.

By the way, have you seen mosquito larvae in the pond or is that an assumption? If you have any predatory insects in the pond, it is unlikely mosquitoes are coming from the pond proper.

Well, I would have to say that if I am looking for anything, I am looking for movement of the water, not necessarily oxygenation.

Fishwhiz
08-06-2009, 09:06 PM
The take-home lesson from my post was to find out WHAT your problem is before you decide on the fix. While that concept seems logical, it is interesting how many people address issues in the reverse.

There is no point in moving water if not to improve its chemistry i.e. oxygen content. We build projects every day that maintain healthy levels of oxygen without moving the water. If you want a fountain or something for the visual effect then buy one. Moving water for reasons other than aeration are usually purely by owners' preference rather than ecological need. Notice I said usually.

good luck!