PDA

View Full Version : Threw a Rod on the Toro today

South Florida Lawns
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I believe thats what happened. Sounds like I'm only running on one cylinder or that its missing. I started it at the dealer and all the mechanics in the back said it sounds like I broke a rod. Its a 19hp Kawi with 600hrs, can't wait to get the bill. At least it didn't seize up on me.

ALC-GregH
03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
That sucks. Are you sure it didn't eat a valve?

Junior M
03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
why not rebuild it yourself? I rebuilt a whole motor(rods, rings, crank, wrist pins, gasket kit) for $300 bucks, a 22 horse briggs that threw both rods and broke one piston..

South Florida Lawns
03-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh I don't know. Lets see I don't know jack about engines and I don't wanna mess up mine more than it already is. I'm sure after a week or so I could teach myself how to take it all apart, get the right parts and then finally fix it. I know my dealer is way faster. In this business time is money. I think I'm gonna start looking into educating myself in small engine repair, for down the road when something like this happens again.

4.3mudder
03-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Oh I don't know. Lets see I don't know jack about engines and I don't wanna mess up mine more than it already is. I'm sure after a week or so I could teach myself how to take it all apart, get the right parts and then finally fix it. I know my dealer is way faster. In this business time is money. I think I'm gonna start looking into educating myself in small engine repair, for down the road when something like this happens again.

Man, it is simple. I have rebuilt 3 two cycle engines, a chevy v8 and v6. Its fun and it is a great learning experience. Plus, it save you money in the long run. But the time no, but heck, everyone has free time, you just have to know where to find it...

Should not take longer than 3 or 4 hours or so to disassemble, rebuild, and assemble.

South Florida Lawns
03-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Its also more of the fact that once I pull something apart it either never runs quite right after, takes 10 tries to get it back together, or a bunch of money to correct the mistakes I made along the way. I kinda know the logistics of engines but stuff never goes right for me.

topsites
03-25-2009, 01:27 AM
My opinion is there are some things we just wasn't meant to fool with, and this might be one of them.
There are some folks to whom it comes easy, but to others it doesn't.

I know all about that.

sweetz
03-25-2009, 02:04 AM
ya, by using mowers we don't automatically become brilliant, gifted mechanics. Know your limits.:waving:

cgaengineer
03-25-2009, 08:02 AM
If you were closer I would help you break her down and rebuild it.

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
why not rebuild it yourself? I rebuilt a whole motor(rods, rings, crank, wrist pins, gasket kit) for $300 bucks, a 22 horse briggs that threw both rods and broke one piston..

You won't be rebuilding a Kawaski for that kind of money.

I think it's very odd that you had an internal engine problem with so few hours. Our Kaw's are lasting well over 2,000 hours and we have one with over 3,000 hrs on it.

Junior M
03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I didnt know any of that, thats why I suggested it.......

yardatwork
03-25-2009, 10:11 AM
This may sound crazy, but you said it sounded like it was running on one cylinder...did you try a cheap and simple spark plug change? Maybe you just filed a plug. Now the dealer told you it was a rod and you're expecting to pay for having a rod problem fixed. If the dealer's mechanics aren't honest, you might be getting a new plug but paying for a rod!

cgaengineer
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
This may sound crazy, but you said it sounded like it was running on one cylinder...did you try a cheap and simple spark plug change? Maybe you just filed a plug. Now the dealer told you it was a rod and you're expecting to pay for having a rod problem fixed. If the dealer's mechanics aren't honest, you might be getting a new plug but paying for a rod!

Even simpler, take out the plug and look in the cylinder. If the piston aint moving up and down its a rod. If you cant see the piston, a compression gauge will also show you or a blast of air coming out of the plug hole when the engine is turned over.

South Florida Lawns
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I forget what the list of damage was (broken connecting rod and swallowed a valve) but they just called me and told me over the phone after tearing down the engine on it. I told them to go ahead and fix it. Bill is gonna be $400 not as bad as I thought.

sweetz
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I forget what the list of damage was (broken connecting rod and swallowed a valve) but they just called me and told me over the phone after tearing down the engine on it. I told them to go ahead and fix it. Bill is gonna be $400 not as bad as I thought.

I bet it will feel good when you have it back!:laugh::laugh: