PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take This Lawn? (2x per week, commercial)

SoloSulkySurfer
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I have a friend who wants to get me to cut lawns for his manager ( a fast food business owner). Anyway the job includes cutting the lawn (approximately equal sq feet to a 75 x 150 ft. residential lot), edging and light cleaning of debris from the parking lot. Its a twice a week account and the current provider charges $40 per cut ($80 per week). Problem is its 18 minutes from my house and 10-12 minutes from my nearst account. If I can beat the price Im guaranteed the job if I match maybe I'll get it. With the travel time I dont know what to do, so far i've been spoiled with lawns less than 12 minutes from my house but with the economy is it time to travel. I make $60 per hour so that would mean its not worth it with the added travel time. It could open some doors in the commercial market so its eating at me.:hammerhead: Its also in a commercial area so I could do it early in the am before I can start my other accounts.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh yea theres 10 stores in a 30 mile circle. So I could make two 1/2 days out of it a week. In a perfect world at least.

lifetree
03-24-2009, 07:53 PM
... It could open some doors in the commercial market so its eating at me.:hammerhead: Its also in a commercial area so I could do it early in the am before I can start my other accounts.

If your wantng to get started in the ocmmercial arena, this may be your opportunity ... only you can make that decision !! However, nothing ventured is nothing gained ... good luck.

nnj18
03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
i dont know of any commercial places willing to have a guy mow twice a week?? maybe you can get them to do it once a week for $65/cut??

mowerbrad
03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Since this would be an area that you aren't in I would take the job. This could open a bunch of new opportunities for new business. And like stated before me, you could try and talk the guy into just coming once per week and charge $65-$70/week instead of the twice per week at $80 per week.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Im thinking that the reason for the twice a week cut is for the garbage pick up in the parking lot, although im told that their employees attend to that to. I dont have much experience with garbage pick up but your ideas about switching them to a weekly service and lower the overall weekly price sounds like a good approach. Ideally I would get all 10 stores which are in a 70 mile circle and are no more than a 15 minute drive appart.

shovelracer
03-24-2009, 09:22 PM
70 mile circle? That could be almost 2 hours of local driving.

I dont like fast food places. I worked for a guy that did a bk and not only are you picking up trash, but nasty stuff too. Contraceptives, tons of cigs, piss and spit bottles, on top of the wrappers and other junk. I bet that the employees only get sent out on occasion. I would shoot for once a week, but you need all 10 to sign.

lawns Etc
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Dont even think about that one I had 4 Mc Donalds 1 year and the pay was $2k monthly for the 4 and you can never make them happy,trash all over customers cars always in the way real PITA not worth the $125 each weekly that I got let alone $40 no way

Scagguy
03-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Fast food properties are the pits. You might as well be the janitor or picking up dog turds. I wouldn't do it for $160 a week.

topsites
03-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Ya I don't think they want it MOWED 2x a week.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Agree per above, with the trash pick up, you need to add on to your pricing. Lots o crap in them parking lots. And, you have to avoid a lot of traffic and cars (unless you are doing the job in the off hours of the biz).

turfbuilder
03-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Sounds like they are trying to get by cheap on that job.