PDA

View Full Version : Penn Foster Landscaping Certification- Yes or no?

MC Handy Man
03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I have been looking at Penn Foster's Landscape Certificate class. It seems to me like it is legit. It talks about pests and control, concepts, design and other aspects. I was wondering if any of you have taken it. Is it worth while? :confused:

Fvstringpicker
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Being in academia a general rule we look at is how readily the credits with transfer to other institutions. For example credits earned at MIT or Cal Tech will pretty much transfer anywhere. One question may be, if I want to continue my education, will the credits transfer? You may want to check with area technical school and colleges who may offer associate degrees in landscaping. I can't advise you on Penn Foster. My school does and includes a lot hands-on, in the field, real life projects.

addictedtolandscaping
03-24-2009, 10:33 PM
It is a very good overview of all aspects. You get up to two years to complete it. The tools are so so, I don;t do much manual design, but took the course as a refresher, and I have to say it reiterates alot of information.

MC Handy Man
03-24-2009, 10:56 PM
FvStringPicker, thanks, thats a good point. I Beleive that they only offer a certificate rather than an actuall degree. I am actually a freshman at a Community College right now and I am transfering to geta Four year after I am done here. The problem with the tech schools I have been looking at is that they are back home where I grew up and I will have to wait another three to four years untill I can get in on their courses. I realy want to get a headstart when I get out of school for I can get my wheels turning.

Addictedtolandscaping, do you think it is a good idea for me or should I hold off and maybe down the road check it out?

addictedtolandscaping
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I thought that the course had a lot of good information, for me it was helpful in reiteration of some really important stiff from simple blade maintenance to angle of repose (the steepest angle at which material will hold itself before falling off, such as the sides of a triangle). It is strictly a certificate program, however, depending on the formal background you have, it may be extremely worth it. If I recall correctly there are potions of pesticide application, there is a portion on plant maintenance installation, overall design layout etc, The nice ting about it other than the info contained, you work at your own pace. I don't think you can ever have enough information, and it is packed full. I don't regret taking it, and I was in the business for about 12 years when I took it, and for roughly $650 I don't think you could go to terribly wrong.

nobagger
03-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I am actually enrolled in the course. So far its been ok, I've been doing lawn care/landscaping for several years so my experience makes the beginning kinda boring but a friend who is almost done tells me it gets better. We'll see. I need to get moving on it though. I was hoping to have it done by May but I haven't had time to pick up a book in weeks.