PDA

View Full Version : Had a real pita today.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
This lady calls me last week for a power raking estimate. When I gave the estimate she says that she has several others giving estimates and she will get back to me if I'm the best price. Today she calls and ask me to do the job. I happened to be in the area and had some time so I did it today. I did a great job and it looked great and I know she got a good deal because I have been lowering my prices to ensure getting jobs. Several hours later she calls me and said she inspected the work and says she wants me to come back and go over the whole yard again with my height adjustment set lower because my Quick 36 was sitting about 1/2 inch taller than my 21" which used in the spots where I couldn't get with the Quick 36. I told her that was definately not going to happen and that this is way to petty to be calling me about. Common a 1/2" differance, screw that lady.

lawns Etc
03-24-2009, 10:56 PM
So you mowed up the thatch or what its a little unclear?

sweetz
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
So you mowed up the thatch or what its a little unclear?

Clear to me. 1/2" difference in height

Grits
03-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I see your point.....but I see her's too. She paid a professional to do a professional job.

4.3mudder
03-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I see your point.....but I see her's too. She paid a professional to do a professional job.

But at a professional price? If he was lower than everyone else then no. She got what she paid for, and it seemed to be the short end of the stick. Not saying that it is bad on the guy who did it, but hard times right now and everyone is lowering their prices.

Grits
03-25-2009, 12:17 AM
But at a professional price? If he was lower than everyone else then no. She got what she paid for, and it seemed to be the short end of the stick. Not saying that it is bad on the guy who did it, but hard times right now and everyone is lowering their prices.

I disagree. It shouldn't matter what the price was. I would hate to give someone a low price, do the job in a less than professional manner, have the customer complain, and then tell them "you get what you pay for". I mean. come on, you are talking about your own company!!!!

sweetz
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
I disagree. It shouldn't matter what the price was. I would hate to give someone a low price, do the job in a less than professional manner, have the customer complain, and then tell them "you get what you pay for". I mean. come on, you are talking about your own company!!!!

I agree. You call yourself a professional right? This is half a ass type of thinking. Just my opinion.

Littleriver1
03-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Not saying that it is bad on the guy who did it, but hard times right now and everyone is lowering their prices.

Not every one!

cgaengineer
03-25-2009, 06:54 AM
This lady calls me last week for a power raking estimate. When I gave the estimate she says that she has several others giving estimates and she will get back to me if I'm the best price. Today she calls and ask me to do the job. I happened to be in the area and had some time so I did it today. I did a great job and it looked great and I know she got a good deal because I have been lowering my prices to ensure getting jobs. Several hours later she calls me and said she inspected the work and says she wants me to come back and go over the whole yard again with my height adjustment set lower because my Quick 36 was sitting about 1/2 inch taller than my 21" which used in the spots where I couldn't get with the Quick 36. I told her that was definately not going to happen and that this is way to petty to be calling me about. Common a 1/2" differance, screw that lady.

I don't really see her argument, though I am not the customer. I assume the lawn is dormant? If so it really doesn't matter about the 1/2" difference in height in some places.

That being said I think I would try to make the customer happy and take this one on the chin. Who knows, she may call next week and want a yearly service from you...especially if you treat her right.

lawnwizards
03-25-2009, 06:58 AM
just curious, but why did you cut 1/2" shorter with your push mower?

Roger
03-25-2009, 08:25 AM

What he asked... Why?

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
if he had to use the 21" in spots where he couldnt get the 36", how on earth did she notice a 1/2" difference if those areas are not right next to each other??

so he power raked the yard, then went over it with his mowers to collect the thatch. if the grass still is dormant why would it matter? its not like he left it with a fresh cut and looking like carpet as it does in late spring.
Bottome line, she asked him to power rake, not for a lawn care service. she got what she asked for.

cgaengineer
03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
if he had to use the 21" in spots where he couldnt get the 36", how on earth did she notice a 1/2" difference if those areas are not right next to each other??

so he power raked the yard, then went over it with his mowers to collect the thatch. if the grass still is dormant why would it matter? its not like he left it with a fresh cut and looking like carpet as it does in late spring.
Bottome line, she asked him to power rake, not for a lawn care service. she got what she asked for.

This is what I was getting at...he was not hired to mow the lawn, he was hired to do a specific service and he completed the service.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
im all about customer service and trying to do as much as i can to keep them happy, even if it means me biting the bullet at times, but i think this is one of those times you just have to stand your ground.

i think we are the only snow removal service in our area that goes around and does grass repair on ALL our accounts without them asking for it, we just buy a couple yards of topsoil and some seed, and then take a saturday and go around and do them. I thought this would be common sense, but ive gotten so many calls complimenting us for it.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
What he asked... Why?

It wasn't intentional. I normally have them set at the same height but when my wife uses the 21" she has this OCD about running the deck low and I didn't notice she left the deck low until I was already about done with the job. I wouldn't want this lady as a full time customer anyhow. She watched me like a chicken hawk the whole time I was there and I hate when people do that crap, just let me work in peace. I have full service customers who have never said a bad remark ever and they tip on regular basis so i reward that with timely, quality service, and I throw in a freebee once in awhile to show them I'm their best choice. Loyalty and trust can go along way with me.

cgaengineer
03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
im all about customer service and trying to do as much as i can to keep them happy, even if it means me biting the bullet at times, but i think this is one of those times you just have to stand your ground.

i think we are the only snow removal service in our area that goes around and does grass repair on ALL our accounts without them asking for it, we just buy a couple yards of topsoil and some seed, and then take a saturday and go around and do them. I thought this would be common sense, but ive gotten so many calls complimenting us for it.

Yes, customer service is key...especially in this day in age where people are so quick to take a broken product back to the store for a refund. People expect to be catered to, some more then others.

Curb Appeal Lawn Care
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Why satisfy a customer????

#1 Repeat business. You keep them happy, they keep coming back for more.

#2 Referral business. Lawn customers do talk! If they are thrilled with your service, they will tell their friends, family, and neighbors whenever they get compliments.

#3 JOB SATISFACTION. Isn't this one of the reasons you want to work for yourself instead of being a rat in a corporation? If you can take pride in you work, at the end of the day you will be a satisfied man.

Curb Appeal Lawn Care
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Why satisfy a customer????

#1 Repeat business. You keep them happy, they keep coming back for more.

#2 Referral business. Lawn customers do talk! If they are thrilled with your service, they will tell their friends, family, and neighbors whenever they get compliments.

#3 JOB SATISFACTION. Isn't this one of the reasons you want to work for yourself instead of being a rat in a corporation? If you can take pride in you work, at the end of the day you will be a satisfied man.

A LITTLE MORE ON REFERRALS FROM SATISFIED CUSTOMERS:

I once had a customer (we'll call her customer #1) who I got by knocking on her door after noticing her overgrown lawn. She was very impressed with my service, and recommended me to her father (customer #2), who became another very satisfied customer. He then recommended me to another lady (customer #3) who recommended me to a friend (customer #4) who recommended me to her mother (customer #5) and three other friends (customers #6,7,and 8).

All from doing work I could take pride in and satisfying my customers - WHO KNOWS HOW MANY MORE CUSTOMERS WILL COME FROM THIS WORK IN THE FUTURE.:cool2:

Roger
03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Customer satisfaction, one more point. Statistics have shown for many years the same thing -- it takes ten positive recommendations to overcome one negative one. The point made above about referrals is on target -- the only word that will be spread by this 1/2" cutting problem will be negative. The great work you did elsewhere on the property is all lost over the one small problem of the 1/2" cutting height. For the customer to have noticed it, the problem must have been significant.

Since returning to "make it right" is not within your consideration, you must have confidence that you will get ten other positive recommendations to keep an even playing field.

Curb Appeal Lawn Care
03-25-2009, 10:58 AM
customer satisfaction, one more point. Statistics have shown for many years the same thing -- it takes ten positive recommendations to overcome one negative one. The point made above about referrals is on target -- the only word that will be spread by this 1/2" cutting problem will be negative. The great work you did elsewhere on the property is all lost over the one small problem of the 1/2" cutting height. For the customer to have noticed it, the problem must have been significant.

Since returning to "make it right" is not within your consideration, you must have confidence that you will get ten other positive recommendations to keep an even playing field.

amen!

Do you want free advertising ??

Keep your customers happy!!!

Valk
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
...and double check your (2) mower's mowing heights to avoid this in the future.

She sounds petty...and very careful with her money. Offer her (1) 1/2 price mowing if she signs up for the year...and then go back and make her happy.

Runner
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
There is an old adage that a business professor in college taught me many years ago. A satisfied customer will tell 3 people, while an unsatisfied customer will tell 6.

burge19
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM

That is what i am wondering also, couldnt you have just set the height the same on both mowers?

WHIPPLE5.7
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
That is what i am wondering also, couldnt you have just set the height the same on both mowers?

Once again, I didn't notice until after the fact. The lawn is dormant right now and when it starts growing in a week or two it will not even be noticable at all.

THC
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
That lady must have a sharp eye, I'm not sure I would have noticed a half inch difference unless you were mowing randomly over where you had already mowed with the 36.

I have tried gathering thatch with a mower after power raking and it's not very efficient at all. For me it was a pita to dump the bags and I thought it was hard on the machine. I'll gather up thatch either with blowers, hand rakes or lawn vac and sometimes all three then MAYBE, I'll mow to make it look nice (depends on money)

brucec32
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
I didn't see this question come up.

Did you get PAID yet?

If so, you have more leverage, obviously. If not, I'd get over there and do the job right as you are unlikely to get paid otherwise.

It isn't a big deal, I agree, but if you did cut parts 1/2" lower than others and she did notice, I'd say to be above reproach in your ethics, you should recut the lawn if requested.

This is why onetime jobs are a pita I avoid. I realize most can't afford to do that, though.

Sweet Tater
03-25-2009, 09:26 PM

I totaly agree with Grits