PDA

View Full Version : 21" Stripes on Rye

dwc
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Here is a pic of my bermuda lawn overseeded with annual rye. As you can tell my neighbor's lawns are dormant bermuda. This was mowed with my 21" John Deere JX75. Sorry its not the best pic, I just took a quick pic with my iphone. :cool2:

sslopok
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Dang your lawn looks great! Makes your neighbors' lawns look like heck..
good work

MileHigh
03-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Makes your neighbors' lawns look like heck..
good work

you can say that again.

A-Land
03-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Hmmm annual rye? What's the plan once the growth shuts off?

dwc
03-25-2009, 12:01 AM
thanks guys! As for the rye I will wait til we get temps in the 90's and scalp it down to about 1" and it will die and let the bermuda take over. I've been doing this for several years now and this method works well for me.

tyler_mott85
03-25-2009, 12:15 AM
JX75s are great mowers. Do you have some kind of roller on it or is that just the plain old set-up?

Looks nice! I bet your neighbors hate you lol.

A-Land
03-25-2009, 12:16 AM
thanks guys! As for the rye I will wait til we get temps in the 90's and scalp it down to about 1" and it will die and let the bermuda take over. I've been doing this for several years now and this method works well for me.

So you seed the entire thing every year just to get it green a few weeks early? Seems like a lot of work to me...

Jason Rose
03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Annual rye is usually green all winter. You seed it in the fall once the bermuda has gone dormant.

Now, in Oklahoma, does the rye grow and need mowed all winter, or only in early spring? I know further south it grows all winter...

dwc
03-25-2009, 12:28 AM
its just a regular jx75 no roller or anything. It stripes really well. I don't hardly have to water it because of all the drool from my neighbors! LOL It is for sure the talk of the neighborhood.

I seed in September and it will last thru April. So about half a year's worth. It's much better than having a brown yard for 6 months during the winter! It cost's me about $50 to seed it and about $50 in water bills to get it up and going. The only way Fescue will grow around here is under a shade tree with tons of water poured on it. My yard is 100% sun all day long so fescue would roast in our 100+ temps during the summer for usually around 30 days each year.
Bermuda is our common grass around here and many people in the southern states overseed for the winter with rye so they don't have to put up with the ugly brown yards with the dry grass tracking in the house. Plus it looks awesome!

dwc
03-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Annual rye is usually green all winter. You seed it in the fall once the bermuda has gone dormant.

Now, in Oklahoma, does the rye grow and need mowed all winter, or only in early spring? I know further south it grows all winter...

I have to mow it some in the fall until our temps get a little low. It stays green during the dead of winter but we don't get much (if any at all) snow so it does pretty well. Starting about the 1st of February it needs mowed at least every week if not twice a week until I hit it with Primo Maxx. Fescue is pretty much the same schedule around here.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Looks awesome! Thats not a bad idea either, I kinda like to piss off my neighbors lol jk. But I do love my yard to be green

P.S. I'm pretty sure I spy a Crown Vic Police Interceptor a few drives down.

T.Brandon
03-25-2009, 12:43 AM
So summer you do bermuda and winter do rye, and scalp at 1'' then seed?

A-Land
03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Lol at least you have it down. A winter around here wouldn't lend itself to green grass, I didn't know you had such fair weather where you were.

dwc
03-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Yeah that's a detective that lives down the street.

Right before the Bermuda shuts down in the fall I scalp it down to about 1" then spread seed and starter fert. In the spring when Bermuda starts taking off good I scalp the rye down to about 1" and that along with high temps usually kills it out. Then I have green Bermuda all summer until I repeat the process in the fall.

4.3mudder
03-25-2009, 01:02 AM

For around here is grows all winter, but very slow for what I have seen. Now that spring is here it is realy taking off.

tlc23
03-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Do you bag the clippings then just spread the seed and fert on the ground? Do you do anything else?

dwc
03-26-2009, 12:03 AM
yes I bag the clippings with my Walker then spread seed and fert and water water water. Some people use a slit seeder machine but I don't have one.

huskres
03-26-2009, 10:53 AM
DWC im in tulsa here. Just wondering if you have seen any buffalograss around where you are at?

dwc
03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I am in southwest OK and I have seen a little bit of buffalo grass but not much. What I have seen is pretty thin and doesn't look too nice.

dwc
11-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Just thought I would update this thread with a pic of my overseeded rye for this year. I did a little different this year and so far I am pleased with it. I used a perennial ryegrass blend and used a slit seeder to seed it with. I seem to have much better germination than normal, even though we are in a pretty good dry spell and have been for a while.

This pic is from a couple weeks ago after the FIRST mowing, so the color is not as dark green as it will be when the grass matures a little. I'll post another pic next time I mow to show the progress. It was mowed with my Walker 48"GHS.

bobcat48
11-07-2010, 11:19 PM
wow thats looks great.nice work.

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
11-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I too overseed with rye grass over my dormant bermuda. I get a ton of comments on my lawn and the stripes. I mow mine at the second to highest height usually twice a week. Once the leaves are gone, I will start mowing once a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
LOOKS GREAT! my rye is just starting to sprout in my yard. its still very warm down here!

GreenGiant94
11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Man that looks great!Thumbs Up

rob640
11-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Your annual rye looks awesome. I overseeded my bermuda with annual rye this year also, i think i might have set it out too soon i see nice rye in shady areas of my lawn. The rest is patchy im considering putting out one more bag but affraid it might be too cold. i live in texas and our average hi is 75 avg low of 30. do u think it would be too late for me too seed more?

dwc
11-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the compliments!
Rob I would go ahead and put more seed down. Main thing with this stuff is water like crazy until it germinates. I invested in a hose timer and nice sprinkler and it made a world of difference. I watered it 3x a day until it germinated.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob640
11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Awesome, thanks for the advice... i think another thing im at fault for was not scalping low enough.. still had some green in my bermuda and was scared to loose the color.. now im suffering the cons... going to give it more seed and alot more water, hope to get same results as u.. thanks man.

StihlBR600
11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I cant believe you dont have a striper on it. they good great

StihlMechanic
11-10-2010, 12:04 AM
So nice.

I just cut out my St augustine lawn and planted annual rye this past weekend (11-6-2010) hope I didnt wait too late. I hope my lawn is as awesome as yours. Looks great!

mdlwn1
11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Annual rye? Dont you guys mean perrenial rye put down annually?

dwc
11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I used annual rye in the first photo and perrenial rye in the last photo. Perennial is supposed to look better so I'll see how it goes. So yes, I overseed with perennial or annual rye annually.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Was just wondering because the only annual rye that is available out here is what contractors use and it grows quick and looks like corn.

Cloud9Landscapes
11-11-2010, 08:22 PM
A small percentage of perennial rye will always remain in the Bermuda, it just goes brown and falls below the canopy and goes into a dormancy until the weather becomes cool enough. Annual rye will completely dye out with hot weather and it generally doesn't look as good as perennial rye. Annual rye is what is used on pastures, but there are some improved varieties out there. The good news about annual rye is that it dies out and won't come back once the temps get into the 80's. Perennial rye is easy to sow and can be mown low, resulting in many golf courses seeding their greens and tee boxes to remain playable and green over the winter.

Turf Dawg
11-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Was just wondering because the only annual rye that is available out here is what contractors use and it grows quick and looks like corn.

Some of the cheaper annual rye used does that here also. I has a wider blade and grows a foot a day in the spring [well not quit that much, but you get the picture]. Some of the perennial rye has a thinner blade and does not grow as fast, but a problem on some of the real good perennial rye is that it can handle higher temps and can handle lower mowing heights so if we have a long cool spring they do not transition well and can really do damage to the Bermuda.

dwc
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
here is a pic after the 3rd mowing last week using my 36"GHS Walker. I have made my next fertilizer app, so it is really getting dark green since this pic. I will post more pics later on!