PDA

View Full Version : Building a New Trailer Ramp

Classified
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
So my trailer has the wrong doors (Barn Doors) so I needed a ramp. I had a temp ramp that I used for 2 years until I had the time to make a new one that was wide enough for for my 52" and also for a 61" mower in the near future.

Its not done yet obviously, but will be very close tomorrow. I just need to figure out my hinge. I know my options, but dont know which style I want yet.

Here are the pics thus far.

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7756&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7759&g2_serialNumber=3

South Florida Lawns
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM
thats cool. There are a few enclosed's down here like that, mainly they add the mesh ramp cuz the old one died from years of hard commercial use.

Classified
03-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Thats what I am using is the steel mesh. I am picking that up tomorrow.

Supper Grassy
03-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Looks Good!!!

bluesprucelawncare
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
i would put more supports i know its heaver but it will save your mesh

Classified
03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
We will see how thick the mesh will be. But right now that ramp weighs about 125 pounds. Im half tempted to make it hydralic open/close, LOL.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Looks good, clean that trailer lol. Hydro would be awesome if you could make it work.

Classified
03-25-2009, 11:42 AM
thats on the list after the ramp. The inside wasnt cleaned out all last season and the outside wasnt cleaned the 2.5 years I have owned it. Nice to have a shop that I can do that in now!

Classified
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Here is some progress pics. I just used some scraps of expanded metal grating from a metal shop and I didnt get enough :hammerhead: so I have to get a little peice to finish it. Then I also ran out of welding wire..........twice :cry: So I decided to call it quits earlier and finish it up tomorrow. This thing is strong as hell and possibly a bit too heavy, Ill have to wait and see once its on the trailer and hinged up to know for sure. I couldnt help myself but to run a mower up on the ramp anyway and the thing doesnt even creak or flex or bow. It will definately work! Just might be on the heay side.

Here is some pics.

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7771&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7774&g2_serialNumber=3

Classified
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I made some good progress yesterday. Im at about 85% done. Only problem is the large height difference between the trailer and the ramp. I cant go higher because the cam has to lock in below the door. Im not sure what Im goign to do now. The mowers should be fine but stuff like the aerator and bedshaper are a different story. I also need to figure out a lift mechanism. That ramp is heavy! I think I am goign to use a little ATV winch, should work perfect.

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7786&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7789&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7792&g2_serialNumber=3

Hinge

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7795&g2_serialNumber=3

Classified
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
height difference

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7798&g2_serialNumber=3

flatlander42
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Could you make a small flap that you could kick out when the ramp is down, and put it back in when your done....like 6-10" long or something? That is pry what I would end up doing.

looks good too!

Classified
03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks man, thats pretty much what I was thinking also. I appreciate your feedback!!

Kennedy Landscaping
03-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah I agree with the flap idear. Looks nice, gonna paint it black? It would be really sweet with a company sign on there!

nnj18
03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
looks good but add some more supports, trust me on this.....

vinny69
03-27-2009, 07:13 PM
should have mounted it on the inside and use garage door springs to help lower and lift it up

sslopok
03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I also think you should have mounted the ramp on the inside. That way you could still read your logo and everything from the back.

Classified
03-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah I agree with the flap idear. Looks nice, gonna paint it black? It would be really sweet with a company sign on there!

Yeah once im finished with it ill paint it black.

looks good but add some more supports, trust me on this.....

Sorry, im going to pass on that one. The main steel peices are 2x2 and 1/8" wall. Its reduculosly strong and barely liftable. Thanks for the input though.

should have mounted it on the inside and use garage door springs to help lower and lift it up

Hidsight is a *****. I didnt want on the inside, thats whole reason for building this one other than the extra width. the problem with it on the inside is I cannot get enough length without a bifold setup and I will also have a large height difference on the inside making it too steep for the mowers causing them to bottom out everytime.

What I am thinking of doing is removing the doors completely, welding the hinges so that when the ramp is up it will mate against the back. I can put a line of weather stripping on the trailer side so the water stays out and then skin the outside of the ramp with white aluminum. That way Ill be able to have a spring assist setup very easily. We will see. With 2 people its not bad at all to lift. one person is OK but its a little heavy.

I also think you should have mounted the ramp on the inside. That way you could still read your logo and everything from the back.

Not TOO worried about the logo. I can also skin the backside and put my logo on that if I want.

shepoutside
03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Here is a inside mount...........

Classified
03-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Awe man I would have paid you for that picture before I started my project!

A little too late now though!

Thanks for posting it though, the torsion spring there gives me ideas.

propertyservices
03-28-2009, 08:48 AM
What are the dimensions of your new gate? and is that box tubing 1.5"?

I will be starting the same project on an open trailer on Monday, however I was also worried about the weight.

Thinking about garage door springs and cables>

Classified
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Its 2x2x1/8" square tubing. Its too heavey, I would use the tubing for the outside runners then the rest use all angle iron. Im not sure on the dimensions, ill have to get back to you. Beleive it or not, I miss placed my tape measure and so I built that with no measuring, LOL.

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 01:30 PM
When I designed my ramp for my small trailer, I used some one inch square tubing which I got from someone who had to get rid of his metal he collected. (Code enforcement was called on him by some neighbors). The inside was already welded together I just completed the rectangle frame. The way I made mine was taking 1-1/4" angle iron for the outside perimeter of the frame and tact in the stamped expanded metal to fit to size. Then the square tubing was made to fit right inside the angle iron to support the expanded metal. This gate turned out a little over kill but it is a great addition to my trailer. (I'll try to post some pictures.);David

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Here are some pictures of my ramp.

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Here is one more. this is the first time posting any pictures.

lawnpro2210
03-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey man that a great idea!! I have thought of having someone at at school build me one in the welding class but just havent got around to it.To bad your not closer i might have bought your old ramp it your were getting rid of it.Nice work

Classified
03-28-2009, 03:46 PM
That looks good. you did a great job with it!

propertyservices
03-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks to J&D Greens for the pictures and info. Like I say, I will be starting that project on Monday and your ideas will come in handy.:usflag:

nnj18
03-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry, im going to pass on that one. The main steel peices are 2x2 and 1/8" wall. Its reduculosly strong and barely liftable. Thanks for the input though.

good luck, i thought the same thing, and after one year and using a toro dingo once my mesh was all bent.....srl28 (will) fixed it for me....i think i have some pix...

Classified
03-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I dont have a dingo, this is for a lawn maintenance trailer not an equipment trailer.

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I should have taken some close pictures of my locking system, it is simple and I stumbled on it by accident. We welded the 1" square tubing as locking stops for both sides. Well they turn out to be perfectly squared up with each other. I got to thinking that what would secure the gate real well would be a bar going completely across holding the gate up. It only requires the one lock and slip the bar far enough to have it go into the other square on the ramp itself. Then the bar will go into the other side staying on the ramp while it is down. Raise it back up and lock it in reverse order. It is quick, easy and solid as Sears used to be.

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I can't wait to get started on my front basket. I plan on a locking backpack blower rack above my spare tire, a locking storage area. The top shelf will hold gas cans that I'll lock to the top with a combination kriptonite cable lock and a water cooler. My trailer is short so I have to make the box narrower than the trailer so the trimmer and stick edger motors have room. But I think that will be the perfect place to make a system for a spool of trimmer line running threw a small tube with a small cheap tool to snipe it of welded at the opening. When you work alone every thing needs to be secure and efficient. David

KGR landscapeing
03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
I dont have a dingo, this is for a lawn maintenance trailer not an equipment trailer.

Thats what he said then he got a dingo and wishd his ramp was built better. which is why hes telling you to add more support and do it right now so that it hold up over time.

Classified
03-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Thats what he said then he got a dingo and wishd his ramp was built better. which is why hes telling you to add more support and do it right now so that it hold up over time.

Thats cool, I understand. Only thing is, I only do maintenance. If I needed something like that I would get a tractor or skid steer. and even if I did buy a dingo, it would go on an open trailer, not this one. Its only rated for 7000#s. But now we are getting off topic, I just wanted to state my reasoning is all. Also I would trust a dingo on that ramp without damage and if anyone local has one id be more than willing to ride it up and down the ramp and take video, LOL.:weightlifter:

J & D Greens
03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks to J&D Greens for the pictures and info. Like I say, I will be starting that project on Monday and your ideas will come in handy.:usflag:

One thing we did is weld in the supports in three inch welds about eighteen or so inches apart, so that it could get deeper penetration and not warp, and if we need to do any repairs I would only have to grind out through the welds to make them.

DLCS
03-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Classified,

I think Landcsape Concepts has bifold ramps on their enclosed trailers. Maybe you can check them out and get some ideas that is if you haven't already got it done.

nnj18
03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Thats cool, I understand. Only thing is, I only do maintenance. If I needed something like that I would get a tractor or skid steer. and even if I did buy a dingo, it would go on an open trailer, not this one. Its only rated for 7000#s. But now we are getting off topic, I just wanted to state my reasoning is all. Also I would trust a dingo on that ramp without damage and if anyone local has one id be more than willing to ride it up and down the ramp and take video, LOL.:weightlifter:

do that all day and then see what happends.....i was just trying to help you out

South Florida Lawns
03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
What did you figure out with the difference in ramp and trailer floor height? Looks like the mower decks might not clear due to height difference.

J & D Greens
03-29-2009, 11:05 PM
What did you figure out with the difference in ramp and trailer floor height? Looks like the mower decks might not clear due to height difference.

I don't know if your looking at Classifieds trailer or mine, But on the ramp I built I used four strong hinges welded so the ramp would close into and flush with the sides of the trailer. Their is a 21/2" gape between the end of the trailer and the ramp. That is the only draw back on it but the two edges are virtually level because we used the spot on the trailer and the leeway the hinge gave me to adjust it were I wanted it. I took angle iron to add strength to the hinges. It turned out plenty strong and the gap really is not that big.

KGR landscapeing
03-30-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't know if your looking at Classifieds trailer or mine, But on the ramp I built I used four strong hinges welded so the ramp would close into and flush with the sides of the trailer. Their is a 21/2" gape between the end of the trailer and the ramp. That is the only draw back on it but the two edges are virtually level because we used the spot on the trailer and the leeway the hinge gave me to adjust it were I wanted it. I took angle iron to add strength to the hinges. It turned out plenty strong and the gap really is not that big.

NO what hes talking about is that the guy put the hindges kinda of down to far so the rap is like 3 inches lower then the entry point

J & D Greens
03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Ya that is what I was thinking but I thought how I got mine done. May help someone else trying to get their ramp to match up and still be rock solid. Might help? David

J & D Greens
03-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Classified,

I think Landcsape Concepts has bifold ramps on their enclosed trailers. Maybe you can check them out and get some ideas that is if you haven't already got it done.
When I worked on a crew as a kid. My boss had one. But I think they would cost twice as much and some times I think a longer ramp would be in order with the decks that we work with in this business today.

Classified
04-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Please excuse the phone pics but I ditched the idea of a spring assist. Now all I have to do is touch a switch, haha.

Need to refine the setup a bit like weld in a tube where the cable comes out so it doesnt damage the cable or the trailer.

And then I need to wire it up and install a switch on the outside.

Here is some pics

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7823&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7826&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7832&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7835&g2_serialNumber=3

Basically the way it will work is to let the ramp down, unhook the cable then open the doors. The whole process took me 1 min and 20 secs by myself including the powering the winch down.

STIHL GUY
04-03-2009, 10:40 PM
nice job building that ramp