PDA

View Full Version : I have a small Demo project this week. Need Advice.

tyler_mott85
03-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Just gave an estimate to a new customer to remove an Arbor/Vine covered sitting area.

Doesn't seem too involved except for one little issue. The arbor is in place by 8 ea. 8ft landscape timbers buried in concrete 1.5ft. The customer would like to keep the posts above ground in good condition to re-use in building a compost bin. I will cut the concrete attached portion off but still need to get the posts out of the ground.

I need to pull the posts out of the ground with concrete attached without destroying the above ground portion.

I have looked for a hi-lift jack that i could just hook a chain up to and lift straight up but the cost is prohibitive.

The two options I'm weighing now are as follow. Purchase one of those large 6-7 ft pry bars and use it in two ways.

1) Dig down one side of the concrete so i can get the end of the pry bar under the conrete, set a 4x4 under the bar and push down.

2) Build a platform out of 4x4 and 2x4's that will make the pivot of the prying at least 12 inches off the ground and use a cable strap tightened around the base of the post and lift it out.

The first is cheaper but more labor intensive.

The second is more expensive but potentially kick-butt in workability. But with the potential of utter failure and back to option one..

Wow, this was really long for a simple problem

Thanks in Advance!

Isobel
03-25-2009, 12:45 AM
why not just dig them out with a shovel. 1.5 feet is not deep.

White Gardens
03-25-2009, 01:26 AM
why not just dig them out with a shovel. 1.5 feet is not deep.

Exactly, and if your not saving the concrete in any way, just use a sledge hammer to break it up to get it out. 9 times out of ten the concrete doesn't adhere to the wood so it should just break away.

tyler_mott85
03-25-2009, 08:41 AM
You guys make it sound so easy. :) Of course that's my last resort, I'm always looking for easy ways to do things tho. I think I'll buy the pry bar and worst case if I can't just pop them out of the ground with that then by that time I've already done half the digging.

thanks!

Isobel
03-25-2009, 10:26 AM
digging them out is the easy solution.

joshco84
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
you are going to find that it will be easier to dig them out than try the pry bar. I have pulled a lot of posts and you will end up digging them out no matter what so you might as well just start that way.

tyler_mott85
03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
OK thanks guys! I'll save the money on the pry bar and just take my good-ol Sharp Shooter.