PDA

View Full Version : sod job

fastcat
03-24-2009, 11:59 PM
i have a sod job to do and the dirt is nothing but red clay. the ground is pretty hard and dosent absorb much water. the plan is to rent a toro dingo with a soil cultivator and ciltivate the area (2500 sf) and then put down a layer of topsoil/compost a little over an inch thick and then run over it agian with the cultivator to mix it in with the red clay. they dont really have a lawn now just a little bit of crap trying to germinate so i think that since i am renting the cultivator i dont need to kill of anything because with on pass over the area with it there will be no more grass and it would make its own compost in the ground. after the prep is done i will put down some lime and fertilizer then lay the sod.

does this sound like a good way to go about doing the job. its alot of work but the soil cultivator shoud make quick work of it. plus i want to make sure that my customer gets a lawn that will last. i will also be getting a yearly lawn maintence contract out of this also.

any input is very welcome. thanks

ferdinand711
03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
ain't nothing wrong with a lot of work as long as you're well compensated.

ALLPro Landscaping
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Till everything, lay down a good layer of screened top soil, till then lay down at least another 3 inches of nice clean top soil. Clay really holds water, so brake it up a bit with some new top soil, all done lay down lime and I use a good starter fert, lay down the sod water and ur good

White Gardens
03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Sounds like you've got the right idea. It should work out fairly well.

The only thing else I would suggest is trying to break the compaction deeper if you can, but I don't know of anything that will go deep enough to do that for you.

Even if you could the clay will settle and compact again, so, all in all you're doing everything you can to do a good job. Thumbs Up

fastcat
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
well i went and met the home owner today to go over the quote with him and i got the job. i will be starting in the next week or two. i will take before, during, and after pics. i dont think i ever mentioned that it is a bermuda sod job.

GreenmanCT
03-25-2009, 09:29 PM
you mind sharing what you put in the quote for, for a lawn that small.

The Elements Group
03-25-2009, 10:58 PM
use sand and top-soil maybe even some nutra mulch and river sand ....Bermuda loves it good luck

betmr
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm really suprized that not one person mentioned getting a SOIL SAMPLE test done. Are you absolutelly sure it's clay and not compaction? If it's clay, I would say to add some Gypsum as you till, and lots of leaf compost for some organics. The number 1 thing, IT's THE SOIL!

A soil test will tell you what kind of soil you have, what the ph is, and what nutrients you need. So you know what you need to build the best soil for what you are planting.

About $10- $20 is money well spent, can you just look at the ground and tell its ph? I don't think so. So are you going to do all this work and THEN find out the ph is way off or how much fertilizer it needs, or that there is no organic matterial to support plant life? Get the soil test and mix what you need right into the soil.

First things first. The gypsum (if the soil is clayey) will help to keep the clay particles from binding togeather. Just trying to help. It ALL starts with the soil.