PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa or Redmax Trimmer?

agriforestry
03-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Guys I am looking to buy a new trimmer. I have an old Robin that has been an excellent trimmer but the time has come to get a new one and put the Robin on the rack as a backup. I have been looking at the Shindaiwa until today and I found I can get the Redmax for about $10 more. They are both the models that are just below $300.

Do any of you have any preference as I know they are both great products. Any help would be well recieved right now.

Thanks in advance.

ALLPro Landscaping
03-25-2009, 04:12 AM
Redmax all the way

delphied
03-25-2009, 06:29 AM
I have a Shinny combination unit and a Redmax trimmer. The Redmax unit has fouled the plug many times and the Shinny has. I wont buy another redmax.

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy a Stihl FS90... same price and a much more reliable machine in my opinion.

terrapro
03-25-2009, 07:51 AM
just picked up a pair of redmax 230's for $400. i havent had a chance to use them in the field yet because the grass is dorment here still but they feel light and rev quick so they seem good.

on another note also bought the redmax 260 stick edger and this thing is a beast. it will eat sod for breakfast and spit out rocks for brunch all day.

delphied
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I have a Shinny combination unit and a Redmax trimmer. The Redmax unit has fouled the plug many times and the Shinny has. I wont buy another redmax.

sorry for the typo. The shinny has never fouled the plug.

driver5
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Trust me when I say go out and find a T 260 Shindy. Get the ones that dont have the new Cadilitic converter on them. They may be hard to find in certain areas.. but look around.. you will find one. here they sell for 260.00. I have three. I wouldnt use anything else.

agriforestry
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Trust me when I say go out and find a T 260 Shindy. Get the ones that dont have the new Cadilitic converter on them. They may be hard to find in certain areas.. but look around.. you will find one. here they sell for 260.00. I have three. I wouldnt use anything else.

Do you have the name of the place where you got yours, and would they ship? Here the Shinny T242 is $289. Sounds a little rediculas to me if you all can get these cheaper elsewhere it seams i can afford to ship it.

Thanks

Turf Dawg
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Just wondering why you don't get another Robin? I know they are not as popular, but from what I hear the power to weight is good and they are a well built unit.

driver5
03-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Do you have the name of the place where you got yours, and would they ship? Here the Shinny T242 is $289. Sounds a little rediculas to me if you all can get these cheaper elsewhere it seams i can afford to ship it.

Thanks

Check Brentwood Lawnmower Shop in Brentwood Tennessee.

There is another place. 96 Lawn on highway 96 in Burns or Fairview Tennessee. Oh and Call Green Hills Lawnmower In Nashville Tennessee.

I know these people have Shinnys and some may have the 260 without the Cadilitic converters.

Mimowerman
03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I have been happy with all of my redmax equipment, I own a few of each , blowers trimmers , and edgers. Two cycle equipment is in my case replaced every two-four years or so , there cheep enough I can sell for half of what I paid and now I have new stuff for only a couple hundred dollars.

kjslawn
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Anything but shinny I hate mine It sits on trailer My helper always picks up The ECHO

genesis215
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Both the Shindaiwa T242 and RedMax BCZ2610 & 2401 have probelms due to being emissions compliant 2-stroke engines. Hard starting, plug fouling, won't idle, and have no power. Added to that they have to warm up before they can be used.

Now, not all of these are that way. There are some good ones that don't have these problems. It's just the emissions requirements make these engines cold natured in general.

I concur that you should just buy a Stihl FS 90 4-MIX 28.4cc. They are ALOT more reliable than these new 2-strokes. They still run on mixed gas, and have double the power (due to the high-torque of the 4-MIX engine design). The savings on fuel, the reliability of starting, much bigger power, and no warmups needed will pay off very quickly. They are only about $299, and they will be going on sale soon due to spring being here. Save yourself alot of headache and get the Stihl. Or even Echo. At least their 2-strokes are proven, particularly with the Echo SRM-230.

genesis215
03-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I do use a RedMax TR2300S as my only trimmer right now. It's the smallest model they make, only 21.7cc. It's got good power for weekly trimming, but not much more. It's been great, nice and quiet, and has never given me one ounce of trouble. It's not a Strato-Charged engine, and that's why it's so reliable. So if you only will go with RedMax or Shindaiwa, then only get the TR2301S as it's their only reliable trimmer. Otherwise go with the Stihl. You won't have near the power though.

agriforestry
03-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Anything but shinny I hate mine It sits on trailer My helper always picks up The ECHO

which model do you have? Is it because the Echo is lighter that they dont like the shinny? Im just curious so I can compare apples to apples.

kjslawn
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
which model do you have? Is it because the Echo is lighter that they dont like the shinny? Im just curious so I can compare apples to apples.

Shinny is the T260 it wont stay on cuts of as you walk around the yard also hard to start. Echo is a 260 also. Starts on 1 or 2nd pull it is a bit lighter.

kjslawn
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Also have an Echo back pack blower I forget the model # but its their big orange one its awsome.

driver5
03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Shinny is the T260 it wont stay on cuts of as you walk around the yard also hard to start. Echo is a 260 also. Starts on 1 or 2nd pull it is a bit lighter.

Sounds like you need to take the idle spring, turn it around backwards and re install it. Your idle spring is out of adjustment.. easy fix. And you may need a new spark plug

kjslawn
03-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I will try that thanks

mikai
03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I have had a kawasaki,echo,shindy, and the last one I bought was a REDMAX. Will not use nothing but a REDMAX. If used in combination with gator line (0.95) I believe nothing can compare to it. I have had the REDMAX twice as long and have had other use it also eith NO COMPLAINTS!!

agriforestry
03-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I have had a kawasaki,echo,shindy, and the last one I bought was a REDMAX. Will not use nothing but a REDMAX. If used in combination with gator line (0.95) I believe nothing can compare to it. I have had the REDMAX twice as long and have had other use it also eith NO COMPLAINTS!!

Which model redmax do you have? Im not sure of the model but the redmax im considering is the 23 or 24 cc model. I think it is the smallest commercial or next to it.

bare31
03-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I have a older t260 and new redmax edger, and they are the best pieces of 2 cycle equipment I have ever run, hands down!

driver5
03-28-2009, 12:33 AM
I will try that thanks

I forgot to mention ... take the idle spring and pull it apart a bit.. then install it.

Mike Blevins
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I have 3 Redmax trimmers, One which is going on its 6th season. A redmax handheld blower,a EBZ 8000, a Redmax edger,and a set of 24" Redmax hedge trimmers. No problems out of any of them. Just changed all plugs and filters and mixed up some Redmax fuel with seafoam for the upcoming week.

betmr
03-28-2009, 11:17 AM
REDMAX, All my dependable 2 cycles are REDMAX. Handheld & backpack blowers, string trimmers, & handheld edgers....Use them, repair them, & LOVE them... They want to work more than I do!!!

mikai
03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm using the 24's. Great Trimmers

2menandamower
03-29-2009, 12:05 AM
I have a Redmax 2401, 2300, and i also have a Tanaka 240, and a stihl fs90 combo unit. The remax trimmers see the most action because they are light and have a lot of power. The gearbox just stripped on the 2300 and it is going to be 110.00 for a new gear box so I am thinking of just buying a new one. It is 5 years old and we use it everyday about 6-8 hours and until now no problems. I know that there are a lot of opinions out there and this is just mine, but I am slod on the redmax stuff. ALSO just a note whatever you buy keep the gearboxes greased. I have been told to use a thin grease that almost turns to liquid when hot and stays as a liquid as it spins. If not you can have the gearbox full of grease that get slung to the outside and then it is doing nothhing for the gears. It makes sense becasue when I took the gearbox apart the thing was full of grease around the edges but nothing on the gears. Just a piece of advice from a redmax dealer.....

N.TX
03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I have had both. Last year I bought a Shindiawa and a Redmax. The shindiawa was a piece of junk. It was comfortable and ran well but the choke kept breaking. A little clip that held the thing together inside the housing would come loose. After about the 5th time of this happening within a few weeks and having it replaced a couple of times I gave it back to the dealer for a trade. The Redmax is great and has a lot more power then any other 24cc ive used. Now as for fowling the plug like someone said .... they are probably running without a guard like me, my redmax will start running sluggishly and I will get some SEAFOAM and run through it about once a week and it will run like new. When I run with the guard I have no problems.

betmr
03-29-2009, 09:53 AM
ALSO just a note whatever you buy keep the gearboxes greased. ....

Yes sir, just what he said, lots of heat builds up there, keep it greased.

agriforestry
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
SEAFOAM and run through it about once a week and it will run like new

This isn't the first time I have read about people using seafoam, how is it mixed? Im assuming adding it to the two mix gas? any particular rates? Info would be good.

Also,someone mentioned running a grease that turns almost into an oil when it gets hot, well Im here in the south with lots of agriculture and we have always used corn head grease or cotton picker spindle grease in gear boxes on cotton pickers and combines. Does exactly that and can be gotten at your local JD Dealership. Not sure about many of your locations but i feel they could still get it for you.

hotwired
04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
The common denominator here seems to be the certain brands were king before emissions standards, and now there's a different line up. I used to LOVE Shinadaiwa -- I too ADORE the T260, and would buy 12 of them if I could find them brand new. We have 2 T272x and they are great, BUT they're ridiculously heavy. I had a C4 2400 or something like that, and it was ridiculous -- strange $8 spark plugs, etc. And it was like a 4 cycle dirt bike -- 5 seconds to go from idle to full speed. My experience with Echo is that they have about 70% of the power that pretty much any other trimmer has. I have many pieces of echo equipment, but have never like their trimmers -- mostly because the first thing I do with a trimmer is remove the string guard and let 18 inches of string out on each side -- echo guards are bolted to the head and don't seem to have neough power to let that much string out.

I keep hearing about the FS90 -- I think I'll give it a try!!

agriforestry
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I know i keep hearing about the emissions problem, well I have been doing a little thinking about this problem. As you know engines regardless of type consist of two major functions, breathing and exhausting. In many cases emissions are usually regulated by a catalytic converter. This being said, the converters usually slow down air flow out of the engine which would give you alot of the problems I have been hearing on here. These converters are built with somewhat of a honeycomb structure in them that has to get extremely hot for them to work propertly. Heat helps them to burn off all the unused fuel.

Now my thinking is... what if we gut the muffler to knock out this converter, it should allow the engine to exhale so much better which in turn would make it run so much better.

I had a stihl chainsaw that quit running good. Kept hearing this funny noise and I started thinking it was a reed valve. Well the more I thought about it i decided to take the exhaust off and found a screen in the exhaust that was clogged. I took it out and now it runs like new.

Dont know just a thought. If someone trys this let us know how it turns out for you.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-13-2009, 10:09 PM
I like them both. I have them both. :D