PDA

View Full Version : Great dane verses Wright Stander, they look the same to me, but are they?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-25-2009, 08:34 AM
For the last two years, I keep telling myself I need a Stander or another walkbehind with a velkie, for the summer time when it is too hot to be sitting on a vinyl seat all day on a big bulky ZTR. I can see that the standers would be better than a walkbehind at productivity and am seriously considering getting one.

My closest dealer, who is a personal friend of mine and hooks me up nicely, sells Great Dane Standers. He told me yesterday he has a new 52 inch stander, with Kohler 23 hp engine, and the adjustable height deck, he could sell to me for around $5300 out the door.

I am not sure what a Wright stander would cost, but imagine several thousand more, plus the dealer is a bit further away and I have no friends or connection with that dealer.

All my business stuff is paid for, except my Tundra, and wasn't looking to spend the money on a mower or anything else expensive for a while, but probably could use the depreciation for 2009 tax year and seems like a good deal....

Is there much difference between the two brands? Is the cut about the same? Any info is appreciated, especially from those that own either or both brands.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I cant really comment on Great Danes because I dont have any experience with them (novel concept I know)....But I love my Wright Standers, (52" 23hp, & 36" 17hp)...there are some significant differences construction wise.....like standing platform location compared to rear wheels and such.... I have read many posts over the years that rate the Wright above the GReat Dane is many areas. I recommend you do some searches on here and read up. Also test drives would be very useful.... And not 5 minute ones.... Get use to each mower and then decide. I will say that Wright's design was the original and their patents made GD and the others really dance around the proven original therefore it seems they are a bit off the mark. Wright has made some good improvements lately for quality of cut.... Good luck

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I looked at a Wright stander today, the ZK model, 60 inch deck and so on.... Price was over 10 grand! Yikes!

Seems like most people you see around here nowadays on a Stander are mostly on Wrights. But when they first came on the market back in the late 1990's you would see far more Great Danes.... just wondering if there is really that much difference in them, as like I said, I can pick up a new one for a little over 5 grand

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I agree the ZK's are rediculous........if you buy at the right time of year you can get them for 17% off......

lifetree
03-25-2009, 11:43 PM
For the last two years, I keep telling myself I need a Stander or another walkbehind with a velkie ... I can see that the standers would be better than a walkbehind at productivity and am seriously considering getting one. ... My closest dealer, who is a personal friend of mine and hooks me up nicely, sells Great Dane Standers. He told me yesterday he has a new 52 inch stander, with Kohler 23 hp engine, and the adjustable height deck, he could sell to me for around $5300 out the door. ...

Sounds like a good deal for the price !!

I looked at a Wright stander today, the ZK model, 60 inch deck and so on.... Price was over 10 grand! Yikes ! ...

That's absolutely ridculous !!

I agree the ZK's are rediculous........if you buy at the right time of year you can get them for 17% off......

Even with 17 % discount, it's still about $ 8,300 ... go with a Great Dane !!

pitrack
03-26-2009, 12:39 AM
I have no actual hands on experience, but I have ALWAYS heard that great Danes do not even compare to a Wright. I looked at a Wright, but did not drive it. It looked like it was built very well. Yeah the 60" ZK is expensive but how about comparing apples to apples? How much was a comparable 52" Wright, not a ZK, with the standard Kawasaki engine? (better engine imo) Again I have no actual hands on experience but I have researched this same topic quite a bit and have always heard Wright was the way to go, built better, cut better, etc.
Just my $.02

br549oicu8
03-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Before we bought a stand on mower we tried both of them, side by side. The dealers broght a Wright and a Great Dane. We tried each on hills, checked for comfort, cut, ease of maintenance and we came to the conclusion that the Wright was far superior.
No doubts.....
I would not buy a Sentar, though!! POS!
As far as the ZK...looks nice but way overpriced. I won't even consider one of those.

The Stripe King
03-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Real Quick. Great Dane is the original. He was an engineer who designed the mower and then put it into production WITHOUT getting a patent. The Wright Stander is the original design and is the only one that works. The current Great Dane is what he tried to make after losing the rights. The ergonomics are wrong on the current Danes and won't back up any type of incline. If you hear someone say they have a Dane and they love it, Its because they have an older model (which is the current Wright Stander.) New Danes aren't even worth the hassle. I know because I used to sell them both.

Puddle of Oil
03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
The ergonomics are wrong on the current Danes and won't back up any type of incline. If you hear someone say they have a Dane and they love it, Its because they have an older model (which is the current Wright Stander.) New Danes aren't even worth the hassle. I know because I used to sell them both.

well i strongly disagree with this statement! i love my 08 surfer and it handles hills very well and can back up on hills as well,(depending on how steep the hill is). i dont know what kinda of surfer you've been using but the one i have does a great job. i cant speak for wrights.....YET, but i can tell you surfers are really good mowers and well worth the price.

jtkplc
03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I've put a couple hundred hours on a 52" Great Dane and a couple thousand hours on 52" Standers and there is NO comparison. The Wright's are better in every category in my opinion. I hated the GD. They don't turn as fast, they don't hold hills as well, they don't cut as good, they aren't even close to comfortable because the controls are so far ahead. We had a lot of problems with the GD's, too.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far and keep it coming.

I have never paid more than 7500$ out the door for a mower. I have had 2 new Bobcat 60 inch ZTR's, a Toro 52 inch ZTR, and 3 Scag 61 inch ZTR's, all new and all under 7500$

The Wright ZK stander looks like a ZTR minus the seat, but still seems to be too little for too much. I wish these companies luck selling these mowers, but the pricing seems to be out of control.

Care Free LC
03-27-2009, 01:28 AM
i have never been on a GD, but i purchased a sentar sport 36" 17hp last year and i love it. I had a few minor problems with it right after i bought it and my dealer did not know what was wrong with it, but put me in touch wit the wright guys and they delivered me a loaner in the field where i was working. they gave me the choice of what he had on the trailer to use until they fixed my mower (one option was the 61" stander...what a beast). when my mower was still not ready after a few days, they cam e out and let me get another loaner that fit my needs for the type of yards i was mowing that week. They were great about keeping me mowing. I tried the smaller stander, the 32" and did not like it nearly as much as the sentar sport. For one, the tires are just too small and they do not hold a hill or slope without tearing turf or rolling down the side of the slope. As far as the cut goes, i have the mulching kit on mine and it cuts great in all conditions. It was pricey though even with the early season prices. I do love my sentar! It allows me to sit behind the unit rather than standing all day long. Makes going to work alot more enjoyable. it is also much easier to keep straight than the stander was (for Me).
I ran across a gd at the john deere landscape store the other day and the manager was trying to make me a "really, really great deal" just to get rid of the thing. It dodnt look like it was designed as well as the wrights are. I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for, and in this business i dont want to be without a mower and have to push one all day long. Thats why i went with wright...customer service is worth more than warranty or money to me. They really took care of me when i needed them. I would hate to spend even $5k and not get the support that I needed because I wanted to save a few hundred dollars initially. Good luck whatever you decide.

pitrack
03-27-2009, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far and keep it coming.

I have never paid more than 7500$ out the door for a mower. I have had 2 new Bobcat 60 inch ZTR's, a Toro 52 inch ZTR, and 3 Scag 61 inch ZTR's, all new and all under 7500$

The Wright ZK stander looks like a ZTR minus the seat, but still seems to be too little for too much. I wish these companies luck selling these mowers, but the pricing seems to be out of control.

Why don't you look at the other models besides the ZK? Thay are all built well.

LawnGuy73
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I'll keep this short because it has been discussed on here about a 1000 times. In my opinion Great Dane sucks, we ran them for two seasons and then went to Wright Stander. We have now been running the Standers for six years. Again this is my opinion, and my history.

All I can say is if your going to buy one, demo them first. Demo them long and hard. You are the one making the purchase, so its your call to make. Good luck!