PDA

View Full Version : Gable mounted fixture

jshimmin
03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm looking for a fixture that I can mount in the gable (left gable) that provides a common effect as the rest of the home. I'm running into more of the soffit returns that block any light from below. There's nowhere on this home to hit it with a narrow spot without putting a glare bomb visible from the front door.
Photo is from the demo.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Jim, easiest would be to use a ground mounted bullet with a long, full 360 Deg. shroud and a glare louver. The right fixture will not give any glare through the window.

That gable is so stout that you would have a problem washing it from a single point source at the peak. It would be too dissimilar to the other gable ends and stand out IMO.

Look to HK for that bullet.

Regards.

Go Halogen
03-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Take a look at the Vista web site: www.vistapro.com

They have a few fixtures that will work.
GR-2220-LS
GR-2219-LS
GR-2219-LS-SP

All can be ground mounted and will direct the light to just the right spot.
Add a frosted lens and it will match the footcandle power (matching the other peaks).

Hope this helps.
-Andy

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Sorry Andy, but the Vista 2219 and other similar partially shielded bullets will not cut the viewing angle from inside the house to the lamp. You need to use a fixture with a deeply regressed lamp and a full 360 Deg. Shield. The 2220 might work, but Im not sure that shroud is deep enough to cut the glare... worth a try though.

Go Halogen
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Tale a look again.

The 2219-LS-SP has a very deep receessed lamp. The shroud is
goes 4 inches past the lamp. Trust me.....I have used this fixture for
that exact purpose. You have to go right up to the fixture and look down into it to see the lamp.

It is actually better than the 2220-LS. Main drawback is that mulch and other debris can gather inside and begin to block output. It needs maintenance occassionally.

-Andy

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Ah so you are right! I missed the suffixes entirely!

jshimmin
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I did not have a clean shot from a mulch bed opposite the troubled gable. I may have to talk them into a small creative landscape modification to create an area for the fixture. I'll have to get a couple of the referenced fixtures for the future.

Thanks for the advice...

Pro-Scapes
03-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I would also chase a wire up the downspouts in the left section and light the 2nd store a bit.

Have you tried backing your fixtures out a bit on that side ?

jshimmin
03-26-2009, 03:41 PM
There wasn't any room to back them out with the landscaping as it was. We're going to put it across the sidewalk in a new bed and use a deep shroud fixture. I have a Unique Pulsar that should do the trick.

JoeyD
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
J - If you use the Pulsar you will soon be able to add an external glare hex louver similar to the new Starburst hex louver. This will drasticly cut down on glare!!! I will keep everyone here posted on its release in a few weeks.