PDA

View Full Version : mulching blades

alabamaweedwacker
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I have a exmark 52" with mulching kit. I have the exmark blades now on there and they just does not seem to stay sharp long. How long should they last? What is the best mulching blade on the market? Thanks for the help.

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
We re-sharpen all mower blades every 10 hours of use (actually we swap them out as we have several sets for each mower)

We use Oregon blades because we get good service out of them, they're not the cheapest and perhaps not the best, but they're the best combination for us.

Blade life varies depending on what kind of grass you're cutting... and weather you're picking up small sticks/pine cones etc or you're just running them over. We pick everything up as we mow. Each ZTR has a small trash can on the floor between the operators legs and we use a pick up wand so the operator doesn't have to leave his seat.

Houses with lots of pine trees are "upcharged" up front in the original quote (customer doesn't see it) for service as this slows the guys down.

I guess in short it's impossible to say without seeing what you're actually cutting... tall grass wears blades faster than short grass.... etc. etc.

alabamaweedwacker
03-25-2009, 10:41 AM
most of the grass we cut is usually short but we do cut around alot of pine trees and do hit pine cones every once and a while. Are scagg mulching blades good?

bohiaa
03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Also depends on what and where your cutting,

as you know weeds are hard to cut, and if your in a sandy location, it's even worse.

down here we get about 3 weeks from a set of blades. sharpen every day.

and were in sand.

It just makes the price of cutting higher

I have never had very good luck with mulchers, and blocking the discharge area.
with our condishions, I can get maybe 3 to 4 hrs from mulchers

alabamaweedwacker
03-25-2009, 10:49 AM
most of my costomers have bermuda but there are a few that have crabgrass and clover. Would a higher lifting blad help on the weeds?

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
most of my costomers have bermuda but there are a few that have crabgrass and clover. Would a higher lifting blad help on the weeds?

High lift blades give a better quality cut. Our blades are "combos", high lift mulchers.

Most manufacturers (Exmark too I believe) come with Oregon blades from the factory.

alabamaweedwacker
03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
ok thanks.

Curb Appeal Lawn Care
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I like the quality with Gator blades.

I've used them on Snapper push mowers and Snapper riders and liked them better than the O.E. blades from Snapper.

Even if you're just using a side discharge instead of "mulching", they still leave less grass and could save you raking and windrows.

ed2hess
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
most of the grass we cut is usually short but we do cut around alot of pine trees and do hit pine cones every once and a while. Are scagg mulching blades good?

The answer to scag blades ......very good we sharpen the blades every two weeks and get around 40 hours on them. Mainly St Augustine and bermuda grasses.

4.3mudder
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Oregone high lift fusion blades.

Happy Frog
03-26-2009, 03:24 AM
I tried the Oregon "regular" and "Fusion" blades.
In my area, with all the quartz sand, I do not see a big difference between the two so I use the "regular" Oregon blades.
I have to sharpen (swap blades) every two hours with the mulch kit installed on the deck. This is due to the sand being kept in the path of the blades instead of being discharged out.
On the other hand, I don't have to worry about rocks being thrown out the discharge chute.

If you are in an area with little sand in your grass, the Fusion blades may be a better choice for you.

Texas Mower Parts has good price on both. :walking:

dtelawn
06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I also run a 52 Lazer Z with a full mulch kiton it. The mulch blades will not last nearly as long as others. You have to remember that they actually hit the grass many times more than normal, causing faster wear. I generally try to change them weekly.