PDA

View Full Version : new truck???

lawnfreak09
03-25-2009, 09:54 AM
ok here is another one i have been chewing on. I bought my f-150 last year when i started. It has a 4.2 liter v6. When i started last year gas was $4 a gallon and i had a 6x12 trailer and one mower. This year i sold the 6x12 bought a 6.5x16 and added a 52 inch walk-behind. My truck hates pulling this around. I have the pedal on the floor all day long. So my question will i spend more on repair or a new truck. just wondering which will be the cheapest route in the long run? I am a solo operation and i have already spent big bucks on the trailer and walk-behind. i just thought the truck would do pull better than it is.

ALC-GregH
03-25-2009, 09:56 AM
just keep it to the floor for the next year until you can afford to buy a truck with a v8.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-25-2009, 10:22 AM
just keep it to the floor for the next year until you can afford to buy a truck with a v8.

Like he said.

James

VirginiaLawnCare
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
ok here is another one i have been chewing on. I bought my f-150 last year when i started. It has a 4.2 liter v6. When i started last year gas was $4 a gallon and i had a 6x12 trailer and one mower. This year i sold the 6x12 bought a 6.5x16 and added a 52 inch walk-behind. My truck hates pulling this around. I have the pedal on the floor all day long. So my question will i spend more on repair or a new truck. just wondering which will be the cheapest route in the long run? I am a solo operation and i have already spent big bucks on the trailer and walk-behind. i just thought the truck would do pull better than it is.

I have one of them trucks to and i pull one of my 16ft trailers with two 36" mowers and a 60" on it with no problem. Now it dosn't pull like my F350 does but it gets the job done half the reason I have never got rid of it.

HOOLIE
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
That setup should be OK with that truck...I pulled trailers for many many years with the 6cyl F-150. And it's not like you really need to be driving fast anyway. I'd just stick with it, the truck should be OK.

Precedence
03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Slapping a big after market transmission cooler on it couldn't hurt if your worried about damage to the truck from hauling.

grassguy08
03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
thanks for the advice. i was hoping i wouldn't have to get a new truck i mean i could but that would really hurt right now.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
My truck is an F150 and pulls a 20 foot trailer with 7,000 pounds of dirt on it, but thats a 351 V8 lol. Just keep it to the floor until you can safely afford a new truck. Or even a good used one. Have a good season.

Real Mayo
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I was in the almost exact same boat as the OP. I had a V6 F150 pulling a rider and WB -talk about sluggish- and a strained all season long. This year I bought a longer trailer to throw an extra WB on and there was no way it could haul it all. I was forced to switch to an 08 Silverado 1500 V8. We went from a single axle to double and no trailer brakes to brakes. I should also add that last year we strained the engine so bad that we blew out a spark plug twice.

mowerbrad
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
I would keep this truck until you can justify a bigger truck. And keep in mind that you don't always have to buy brand new, it is actually financially smarter to purchase a slightly used truck, that way the biggest depreciation on the truck has already happened and you wouldn't lose that much after buying it.

Milwaukee
04-06-2009, 10:45 PM
If you can't afford another truck

What I could do check what gear ratio in rear axle if it was 3.55 then bump to 4.10 or 4.30 it should improve power but slow on highway.